Anyone betting on the Grand National? Page 4

Not this year and never. It should be made illegal - the only bet I'd like to win is that no horses die or are badly injured. But the odds are too great.

This is normally the time of the year someone thanks me.

But not this year I fear.

I'm not gonna bet as I never, EVER win. It's not fun being a loser.

Quote: Ben @ April 13 2012, 7:31 PM BST

I'm not gonna bet as I never, EVER win. It's not fun being a loser.

Is that why you support Manchester United?

Quote: bigfella @ April 13 2012, 7:28 PM BST

This is normally the time of the year someone thanks me.

But not this year I fear.

:D

So I'd have lost my bet because another 2 horses died.

Why does this go on in a so-called civilised society? And don't equate it with footballers dying because horses have no say in the matter.

And I saw one of those who was put to sleep standing up. Why was it put down? Because it will never be able to race again so just a waste of space and money?

Quote: Chappers @ April 16 2012, 2:43 PM BST

And I saw one of those who was put to sleep standing up. Why was it put down? Because it will never be able to race again so just a waste of space and money?

Surely it was because it had a broken bone or other injury that couldn't be treated.

Quote: DaButt @ April 16 2012, 2:49 PM BST

Surely it was because it had a broken bone or other injury that couldn't be treated.

Why can't it be treated? We have vets in this country.

Quote: Chappers @ April 16 2012, 2:50 PM BST

Why can't it be treated? We have vets in this country.

http://ultimatehorsesite.com/info/horsequestions/hq_brokenleghorse.htm

Maybe they mean they wouldn't make any money out of it while it was being treated.

Quote: DaButt @ April 16 2012, 2:59 PM BST

http://ultimatehorsesite.com/info/horsequestions/hq_brokenleghorse.htm

They shouldn't be put at such risk then. It's totally out or order

Quote: zooo @ April 16 2012, 3:18 PM BST

Maybe they mean they wouldn't make any money out of it while it was being treated.

Did you visit the link I posted? It explains in detail why a broken leg has traditionally been a death sentence for horses. Attempts are sometimes made to treat million-dollar champions but even with the best treatment available the procedure is rarely successful.

Visit links? Me? Waay too much effort. :)

So how many horses will die this year?

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd April 2014, 11:16 PM BST

So how many horses will die this year?

Untold thousands but not at the Grand National. Most of them belong to middle class people who've hit hard times and can't afford to keep them anymore, so they're either abandoned, starved to death or sold to an abattoir.

Thoroughbred horses on the other hand have a pretty good life in comparison to normal horseys. The best treatment, regular health checks, great food, heated stables, the most stress free transport...and don't forget the equine sex, lots of lots of sex, no castration unlike their animal cousins in the dog and cat world.

I don't approve of gambling or boring as shite horse racing - or even horse ownership of any kind - we have these things called cars now. Will I feel sad when a horse snuffs it at the National? Do I feel sad when a jockey snuffs it at the National?