Laughing out loud

Do you have a bet on how many will die?

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 4 2009, 4:28 PM BST

Laughing out loud

Do you have a bet on how many will die?

....no. Whistling nnocently

Laughing out loud

Ha!
I wonder if the bookies take bets on that...

Probably as well as first to cross the line without jockey.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ April 4 2009, 4:26 PM BST

100-1 winner! Some people will have majorly cashed in on that.

Yes - mainly bookmakers.

Shite! I almost had a quid on the winner too. I actually had a quid left in my betting account and tried to put it on it but my internet went off for a few minutes so I didn't bother. JIZM!!!!

I had 2 quid each way on Comply Or Die though so I won a few quid - enough for a night down the pub anyway.

Who won? I put a tenner on some horse called Mon Mome for a laugh. It was 100/1 so doubt it got anywhere.

If only, I'm just horsing around.

I've been to the Grand National twice - both times in 1997. The first time, when it was run on a Saturday, there was an I.R.A. bomb scare, and it was called off. Funnily enough, there was a really good atmosphere around the course, as everyone was leaving. I remember many of the locals bringing trays of tea out for everyone. I also went into a chippy, and the queue was full of jockeys. I then went to Aintree again, two days later, to see the race being run on the Monday.

We bet on 4 horses, all of which were unplaced but we received a cheque this morning from the Inland Revenue for £534 so I'm not overly disappointed. Mind you HSBC will see a fair bit of it so not all good news.

I had £5 on Mon Mome and £5 on State of Play. I never ever win anything in the National, so I'm well chuffed. I got £660! The bookies was empty when I went to collect it and they had to go out to the back safe to get me more money. I can see why gambling is exciting :P

Quote: Bryony Harper @ April 4 2009, 7:01 PM BST

I had £5 on Mon Mome and £5 on State of Play. I never ever win anything in the National, so I'm well chuffed. I got £660! The bookies was empty when I went to collect it and they had to go out to the back safe to get me more money. I can see why gambling is exciting :P

Gambling is definitely dangerous. Football is the worst, as it seems pretty easy to predict winners - then suddenly, a team like Man Utd will fail to beat a team like West Brom, and you lose everything.

Because its rigggged

I only ever bet on the Grand National - it's a family thing - we gather round our copy of Horse and Hound and decide what horses we want to back. I've always said that I could never get hooked because I've never won anything proper. But now, having had a lucky day, I can see how people do put stupid amounts of money on mad bets and things. Not that I am - I consider myself very jammy and that's about it!