Jonathan Creek Page 8

Quote: zooo @ April 2 2013, 5:11 PM BST

I did like the reveal that the jingly noise had been his creepy comb, though.

They did look like pantomime villains though, don't you think? It didn't really bother me, I just choose to believe the show doesn't take itself seriously.

Quote: Georgie777 @ April 2 2013, 4:27 PM BST

I LOVE Jonathan Creek but bloody hell this is definetley the worst episode they have ever done.
Okay firstly....I hate how they have moved him on SO much in three years! Right okay he can be married, but working in advertising - really??? Where is Adam Claus! And also - HE NO LONGER LIVES IN HIS WINDMILL?!!! The windmill was to Jonathan Creek what the three wheeled car was to Del Boy.

Was it some seasonal message that you can't have everything in life?- like living with Sarah Alexander in a cool windmill is a bit too much of a good thing.

But yes its omission is a bit odd and as for working in advertising, is there anybody less suited to advertising than Creek?

Well I think the idea was that he'd met his wife, and her dad have given him a job. Not that he was necessarily particularly suited to it, or even liked it.

I loved that bit where the transexual TV (!) Producer was making a series called "Kicking against the Pricks."

Quote: Chappers @ April 2 2013, 8:36 PM BST

I loved that bit where the transexual TV (!) Producer was making a series called "Kicking against the Pricks."

That put me in mind of "Prick Up Your Ears."

Quote: Nogget @ April 2 2013, 9:25 PM BST

That put me in mind of "Prick Up Your Ears."

(S)he said that (S)he still had the genitalia on the mantlepiece if I remember rightly.

Hmm yes...entertaining and quite a funny one but tried too hard to be quirky and was way too busy in plotlines. Acting I thought was appalling, none moreso than from Davies, who's so laid back now he's barely alive. A newly married man finally, and with a new highpowered job in the city and he's a good half less interested and animated than usual! Surely this was meant to be part of the humour!? His new wife has a gun in her gob and he says weakly 'Oh (thingy) are you okay?', without a flicker of a change in his blank expression. Laughing out loud

High on humour, low on most other qualities this ep, but the return of a popular show is a good thing.

It was disappointing. For an hour show the pacing was pretty dreadful rendering the whole thing more annoying and tedious than engaging.
Sorry for any spoilers (at least I'm warning iPlayer watchers) but why would Creek's girlfriend's dead Ma believe that inventing an imaginary lover would help her grieving husband? The logic? More likely make him bitter, angry and hating her. Just one of many illogical aspects to a patchy first episode. It lacks the zest and punch of earlier series. Just hope it improves because I for one have been an ardent fan for years.

Quote: maxine @ 1st March 2014, 10:04 PM GMT

but why would Creek's girlfriend's dead Ma believe that inventing an imaginary lover would help her grieving husband? The logic? More likely make him bitter, angry and hating her.

Yes, hating her, so he wouldn't miss her. And would be more likely to move on with someone else. That's what I took it to mean anyway!
Not a massively sensible or logical plan though, obviously.

Jonathan Creek used to be a wonderful Sherlockian locked door mystery. With all kinds of fun stories tied into that big, thumping, solid central plot.
I remember puzzling how did a dead guy climb the stairs.
And now just endless thudding jokes and a murder stolen from that stupid Sherlock episode with the wedding.
Except it wasn't a murder and the hysterical mentally ill woman didn't do it, and she killed herself anyway.

I did think it was interesting for us to see exactly how it happened and then watch him try to figure it out.

Have they done that before? I haven't seen all of them.

Nope it's what Columbo used to do.

But come on, hmmm oh the paintings upside down.

Even Captain Zep Super Space detec would have scorned that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OklN58wo-a8

I shudder to think what Muff-it has planned for this classic

When the f**p did this start and why wasn't I told? A whole new series of JC and no one mentions it? :O

No don't let it be like Sherlock, I can't stand that gimmicky quacky nonsense.

And no don't do the Columbo reveal at the start either, I think that's been done before and spoiled all the 500 odd episodes.

Why not be like JC? Huh? Just a thought.

Not expecting much but will tune in to see how disinterested AD looks this time. When watching the last one I kept expecting him to take a call from his mate down the pub.

I used to like trying to guess how the murder happened, but with the latest episode we knew what happened straight away so it robbed me of that pleasure.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd March 2014, 11:48 AM GMT

When the f**p did this start and why wasn't I told? A whole new series of JC and no one mentions it? :O

No don't let it be like Sherlock, I can't stand that gimmicky quacky nonsense.

And no don't do the Columbo reveal at the start either, I think that's been done before and spoiled all the 500 odd episodes.

Why not be like JC? Huh? Just a thought.

Not expecting much but will tune in to see how disinterested AD looks this time. When watching the last one I kept expecting him to take a call from his mate down the pub.

It happened in the middle

if you like thuddingly obvious jokes about Alien then you might like it