Jonathan Creek Page 7

Quote: G180e @ March 25 2013, 8:22 PM GMT

How is this a comedy-drama? I thought it was just a mystery drama , does it have any comedy in it?

Loads. It's mainly in the characters and their interraction.

Quote: Chappers @ March 25 2013, 8:35 PM GMT

Loads. It's mainly in the characters and their interraction.

Oh I see!

I think it's great that Rik Mayall and Nigel Planer are being brought back to Jonathan Creek. I just remember one of the old episodes where there is a blind date between Maddie and Nigel Planer's character, his wife turns up threatens Maddie, pinning her against a wall and sticking a stiletto heel up Maddie's nose. Laughing out loud

You can view at the link below, it's near the end (57mins) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBAu_87lIqI

This is horrible because it just is.

Quote: Dave @ March 25 2013, 7:23 PM GMT

In publicity photos, Rik Mayall's Gideon Pryke character is in a wheelchair. As Mayall had an accident in '98, is this to do with that (like a relapse thing) or is it just part of the character?

I thought it was just part of the character.

Apparently, Mayall's character Gideon Pryke (as seen in a Christmas special) will be paralyzed from the neck down but can still use one finger - which he uses to drive his wheelchair crazily.

Rather enjoyed that. The fantastical root cause to everything was a little disappointing, but there were some classic Creek twists and turns along the way and Sheridan Smith was wonderful. A very pleasant 90 minutes.

It was no bad thing, but it often seemed a lot like Doctor Who, in terms of the unsettling, brooding feel, the dynamic of him and his feisty assistant, and the scary shots of statues. The ridiculous ninja laptop that Rik Mayall weilded didn't spoil my enjoyment, I thought overall it was perhaps even better than previous shows.

Current one seems to have the same unfortunate disease as both Sherlock and Who. A complete lack of believable story, threat, plot or tension. Just a sort of jolly hodge podge of fun scenes, amusing performances and clever lines. But never jelling together and of course a random gay or transgendered character.

Though thankfully unlike Who she wasn't a horse and got one of the few funny lines.

Has the BBC just turned its back on coherent story telling altogether? Is there some sort of writers strike?

The old Creek always had a solid mystery at its core that powered the story. There was a lot of wit and fun, but that was always secondary. And actually all the funnier for it.

I like the way that he had to have his duffel coat before he was a detective a la Mr Benn...

Some Creek is better than none at all, and enjoyed all the acting, Mayall, Smith, Lumley and of course Davies. I liked David Renwick's little cameo at the start and it passed the time, but the story was ludicrous, badly devised and downright silly even for Creek, particularly the cover up story which was both lazy and pat. The whole locked room thing is becoming a little tired. I did like the new set up, wife, business man thing, although the duffel coat thing seems to jar against a man who is meant to be so logical. If it comes back I'd advise Renwick to employ Mark Gatiss to come up with better more clearly thought through storylines.

I LOVE Jonathan Creek but bloody hell this is definetley the worst episode they have ever done.
Okay firstly....I hate how they have moved him on SO much in three years! Right okay he can be married, but working in advertising - really??? Where is Adam Claus! And also - HE NO LONGER LIVES IN HIS WINDMILL?!!! The windmill was to Jonathan Creek what the three wheeled car was to Del Boy.
I enjoyed the show right up to the last half an hour because the end reveal was UTTERLY RICDICULOUS. There was NO logic behind it at all. And IF you had witnessed somebody having a freak accident like the victim did, WHY ON EARTH would you want to try and go to the effort of moving a head and mocking up a fake body - in order to convince someone of the supernatural?! You just wouldn't do it! It was a pathetic explanation, and I was really disappointed to see that the person who killed Joanna Lumley was in fact the two coppers...all because they had seen some video about the Prime Minister? What?! It could not make less sense! Maybe they should just work really hard to make a final corker of an episode, and bring Caroline Quentin (the best assistant) back one last time to round it off so Creek can retire and live in advertising marital bliss! ;)

I didn't like the government assassin rubbish, but other than that, it was good.

I heard that these assassins are still operating, and so quite a lot of you will end up as just heads...

I did like the reveal that the jingly noise had been his creepy comb, though.