Still Open All Hours - 2013 Special Page 12

Really liked it. Thought the moment with the picture of Ronnie Barker was perfectly pitched.

Does anyone actually know anything about Roy Clarke? Obviously he did LOTSW but I have no idea what he looks like or how old he is.

[*Proceeds to Google search]

He's 84 and looks nothing like I expected.

If you look at his career there is a spell of 2-3 years where he was writing Open All Hours, Last of the Summer Wine, Rosie and Potter simultaneously. Regardless of whether you think his writing is rather safe and/or old fashioned that is quite incredible.

Oh, and if you want to know where the shop is...

http://goo.gl/maps/vJbBk

Based on the news that this has been picked up to series, does anyone else get the feeling the Beeb have reconsidered because the Sullivan brothers don't want to write any more Only Fools??

Or they didn't want to make another mistake like they did with Birds of a Feather.

Quote: NBDelboy @ 30th January 2014, 10:24 AM GMT

Based on the news that this has been picked up to series, does anyone else get the feeling the Beeb have reconsidered because the Sullivan brothers don't want to write any more Only Fools??

There have been a lot of comparisons between bringing back Fools and Open All Hours, but they're two different shows, which just happen to have David Jason in them. I kept reading comments that Fools shouldn't come back because Still Open All Hours was 'awful', but they have different writers behind it and everything.

Re Fools, I'm surprised they're bothering bringing back Fools as it's just a sketch buried on a telethon ten years after it was last on. They should bring it back properly or not at all.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001358/still_open_all_hours_to_return_for_full_series/

Quote: G180e @ 28th January 2014, 5:10 PM GMT

Glad to hear "Still Open All Hours" will not be returning. You just can't make a new full series out of it, The special was awful. Haven't a clue how the hell it got past the commission stage!

Quote: playfull @ 29th January 2014, 12:51 AM GMT

Really liked it. Thought the moment with the picture of Ronnie Barker was perfectly pitched.

Quote: Dice @ 30th January 2014, 12:27 PM GMT

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001358/still_open_all_hours_to_return_for_full_series/

Glad to see my post had such an influence on the BBC commissioners...

Nice to see the BBC putting their faith in young writers. :)

The Christmas special was amiable though and it should get decent viewing figures so an understandable decision.

I am really shocked to hear that this is returning for a full series. In my humble opinion, there is no potential left in the show to renew it for a full series. We'll see how it goes but I expect it will be utter trash just like the Christmas special.

Quote: G180e @ 1st February 2014, 1:14 PM GMT

but I expect it will be utter trash just like the Christmas special.

The special was just establishing the characters and the setting. I'll expect the new episodes to include some plot...or jokes. So, relax and wait.

Relax is the operative word.

Someone is making decisions based on a range of factors, not the least of which is probably that it's thought a significant number of people would enjoy this.

Here's one point of view about old vs new comedy from the Sydney, Au newspaper.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/britcom-tradition-by-hart-20140131-31qju.html

Maybe the old shows can do the old tried-and-true formula in a way that moves us forward, too.

Quote: Rose2010 @ 1st February 2014, 3:59 PM GMT

from the Sydney, Au newspaper.

Do what? That's The Sydney Morning Herald, thank you. Once a magnificent broadsheet and now a piece of crap in tabloid format with biased reporting and declining international coverage.

I would prefer to see David Jason do something like Frost's Last Case, rather than a resurrection of Open All Hours.

Quote: Kenneth @ 1st February 2014, 8:11 PM GMT

I would prefer to see David Jason do something like Frost's Last Case, rather than a resurrection of Open All Hours.

But we had that in 2010 with two final episodes.

It's been a funny kind of day at the BBC.

Quote: Marc P @ 2nd February 2014, 8:38 PM GMT

It's been a funny kind of day at the BBC.

I have to ask -- are you quoting Shaun of the Dead or (my favourite U.S. drama) Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip?