Still Open All Hours - 2013 Special

Sir David Jason will return to everyone's favourite grocer's store this Christmas in a brand new special episode of Open All Hours.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001261/open_all_hours_2013_christmas_special_return_david/

(You have no idea how difficult this has been to keep a secret. I'm very excited. Love the show.)

That is exciting! Can't imagine it without Ronnie Barker, though. Be interesting to see how it works.

Another reason to look forward to Christmas!

Another reason not to look forward to Christmas.

Yet another old show is "revived" for one last outing. It's just plugging a gap in the Christmas Day schedule, and people will only watch it to see it because "it's got Del Boy in it".

Why do the BBC do it? I don't like Miranda, but that was a new show with a special and, despite it airing on Boxing Day last year, it got the highest viewing figures - higher than an episode of The Royle Family (on Christmas Day). It's just laziness, and you can use the excuse of it being Christmas and being special to get them together again, and that it's easy viewing but I'm sorry, I'm not buying it. I know, I know - "don't watch it then, no-one's forcing you".

Also, remember The Legacy of Reginald Perrin? It'll be as bad and pointless as that, albeit for one episode only, thank goodness.

I can't see anyone tuning in to see Del-Boy - they'll be tuning in to see Granville!

I'm not sure it's anything to get cross about, there are plenty of new shows that have Christmas specials, and plenty of brilliant one-off things put on at that time, too - it's not like we're only being given special episodes from 70s comedies!

Oh dear, do cheer up, Gluben.

Cheer up? It's a comedy forum, for goodness' sake!

Anyway, Del Boy joke aside, surely by missing Ronnie Barker it'll lose a lot of what made the original series funny.

Obviously it would have been better if they'd done it before he died. But I shall give it a go regardless!

Loved the originals, but a really not sure we need this.

Quote: Harridan @ October 7 2013, 1:23 PM BST

That is exciting! Can't imagine it without Ronnie Barker, though. Be interesting to see how it works.

This was my initial reaction. But as you say, it will at least be interesting to see how it works, and how Arkwright's sensibilities have affected those around him in the past 30 years. I'm particularly intrigued to see Granville's fate. He evidently 'escaped' in some form if he now has a son of his own!

And, hey, if it's poo, it's only half an hour.

Count me in!

And me.

This looks great. Just David Jason on his own in the shop, and no more "Grrrrranvillle ffff fetch ya cloth".
It won't be the same without Ronnie Barker but it will be a great one off for Christmas. Can't wait.

Looking forward to this. So excited can't wait! I wonder what they are going to do with out Ronnie Barker because it wouldn't be the same

Well b-b-b-bb-b-b-bb-bb-bugger me

Quote: lofthouse @ October 7 2013, 7:15 PM BST

Well b-b-b-bb-b-b-bb-bb-bugger me

Do you mind if I don't?