What are you watching on TV? Page 1,902

Probably. Bad economic times will always excite fear of the other. We are a nation of immigrants.

The Labour chap must read my post.

Well if you accept we are all created by subatomic particles from collapsing stars, then everything is an immigrant.

Go woman in the audience who doesn't know anyone's names WOO HOOO.

Quote: Jennie @ 9th January 2014, 11:22 PM GMT

We are a nation of immigrants.

We are now.

1 in 4 prisoners not British born.
1 in 4 council houses occupied by people not British born.
1 in 8 people in the UK not British born.
2 out of every 3 new jobs created goes to someone not British born.
77% of babies born in Newham are from mothers who are not British born.

140,000 UK residents can't speak English.

In 2001 there were roughly 60,000 Poles in the UK, by 2011 it rose to roughly 515,000.

These are just statistics, interpret them how you desire.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 9th January 2014, 11:36 PM GMT

We are now.

In 2001 there were roughly 60,000 Poles in the UK, by 2011 it rose to roughly 515,000.

?

And this is the new UK national anthem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR93W-SIoug&noredirect=1

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 9th January 2014, 11:15 PM GMT

The show is from South London this week, so the UKIP guy is getting short shrift from the audience of foreigns.

Shrift is a weird word.

We don't have much time for UKIP types around here. We even had a BNP candidate stand for election once, which was....brave. Although my experience is that most of Lewisham/Catford's none WB are either Windrush generation or below. We don't get that much new immigration. It's quite a settled community.

Quote: Jennie @ 9th January 2014, 11:45 PM GMT

We don't get that much new immigration. It's quite a settled community.

Then you are quite lucky, other parts of London and Essex have seen their communities changed irreparably in the last few years - from the influx of white hipsters to the 300,000 Somalis who now live in the UK.

No one is arguing against immigration, people are arguing about mass immigration over a short period of time. There is a massive difference.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 9th January 2014, 11:36 PM GMT

We are now.

And 1 in 4 British born can't speak, read or write properly.

Quote: Jennie @ 9th January 2014, 11:38 PM GMT

And I have never bought that sauce again after the way they treated their workers in Britain.

But are changing communities a very bad thing? I grew up in very white areas then moved to a very multi-cultural part of London. I love it. I don't see changing communities as a bad thing.

Sure, there are some bits that need change - there shouldn't be ghettos, and there certainly shouldn't be generations of people (usually women) with little or no English. That is disempowering.

But the positives outweigh the negatives, in my view.

One thing I would change is to have EU citizens deported on commission of a criminal offence. I think once you have broken the social contract, you lose your right to be here.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 9th January 2014, 11:52 PM GMT

And I have never bought that sauce again after the way they treated their workers in Britain.

What was all that about?

On a different note, I didn't realise they were doing QT in Lewisham. I would have gone along and whipped out my legal aid question. :(

Quote: Chappers @ 9th January 2014, 11:52 PM GMT

And 1 in 4 British born can't speak, read or write properly.

I'd have thought NO British born could speak, read or write - anything! *smart snigger*

'This Week'. Dianne Abbot is such a smug , patronising shit.

Quote: Jennie @ 10th January 2014, 12:02 AM GMT

But the positives outweigh the negatives, in my view.

That's perceptions for you. Funnily enough, one of the main weapons in the Scottish Independence campaign is that the SNP wants a totally open border policy and it's playing into the hands of the 'No' vote.

That's a bewildering nationalism and no mistaking.

Quote: keewik @ 10th January 2014, 12:04 AM GMT

'This Week'. Dianne Abbot is such a smug , patronising shit.

She is bloody useless and my local MP. Her biggest contribution to the political spectrum in the last few years - banning smoking inside the Olympic Park. Woo. Go Diane! You political dynamo.

Dianne is just a political dead weight, she's been caught out so often, so badly that she's too all intents and purposes pointless.

In any other job she'd be sacked.

Her comments about the jury were very naughty. Same for David Lammy.

There does seem to be a lot of misunderstanding about the verdict - the jury didn't find that he didn't have a gun at all (which seemed to be the view of some of the QT audience), just that it wasn't in his hands when he was shot.