Newsjack - Series 9 Page 24

The sexist female characters sketch was very good - I will say that.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ October 4 2013, 4:27 PM BST

Psssst. Psssst. *Whispers* The BBC are watching you Errr

Oh my god, I was hacked, why someone would hack me I don't know. I've sorted it now though.

Quote: ash williamson @ October 4 2013, 11:50 AM BST

Yeah that was mine and your joke for the intro was far better than how I started it, I used flowery language in lieu of a joke. They used about six of my lines for the sketch too, surprised they cut some of the more topical ones though.

Ah, glad they used part of your sketch, too - mine was a bit lifeless.

Well done everyone who got in last week and good luck this week!

Looks like the Autoreply is fixed, albeit taking a little while to come through.

One-liners submitted, bits crossed

Quote: AndyGilder @ October 6 2013, 9:07 PM BST

Looks like the Autoreply is fixed, albeit taking a little while to come through.

One-liners submitted, bits crossed

Just sent off 2 sketches and I also got the 'auto reply' - hooray!

Quote: Bonzo @ October 6 2013, 9:49 PM BST

Just sent off 2 sketches and I also got the 'auto reply' - hooray!

I wish I could write sketches I really do, but dialogue and I are not on first name terms.

I got an auto-reply instantly.

Hoorah for BBC IT!

Good luck everyone.

I think the auto-reply arrived before I'd sent mine. Must be with Dr Who's anniversary coming up.

BTW Can anyone tell me: Do they ever use lines from sketches as one-liners if the sketch itself isn't used (and isn't merged with another sketch on the same topic)?

i.e. If there's a line I particularly like (or an intro) do I need to include it again in my 1-liners tomorrow or can I now consider it submitted?

Judgement Dave - I'm pretty sure they do if it works. It's probably more likely if they have two sketches on a similar topic they might merge them. I would probably only send it again if you are going to rework it - e.g. if it's the same joke but as a correction. I wouldn't send the same thing word for word.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ October 7 2013, 11:53 AM BST

Good luck everyone.

I think the auto-reply arrived before I'd sent mine. Must be with Dr Who's anniversary coming up.

BTW Can anyone tell me: Do they ever use lines from sketches as one-liners if the sketch itself isn't used (and isn't merged with another sketch on the same topic)?

i.e. If there's a line I particularly like (or an intro) do I need to include it again in my 1-liners tomorrow or can I now consider it submitted?

Hurrah welcome back auto-reply! Sure that will see a change in fortunes for my submissions.

In the past they have taken intros from sketches and used them elsewhere but there's no guarantee that's what they'd do now. And it may be unlikely they'll take a line mid-sketch and rework it.

No harm in resubmitting it as a (reworked) one-liner and probably means someone else might read it.

Sounds like resubmitting may be the way to go then.

I'm just paranoid that the same person would read both and think it's too obvious as multiple writers came up with it... I'd hate to accidentally knock myself out that way, when I obviously know plenty of other ways to not make it!

Quote: Judgement Dave @ October 7 2013, 12:06 PM BST

I'm just paranoid that the same person would read both and think it's too obvious as multiple writers came up with it... I'd hate to accidentally knock myself out that way, when I obviously know plenty of other ways to not make it!

Can you stick a note in your one liners document, in square brackets?
They won't mind that surely?

Of course, if it's really too obvious then you may want to rethink anyway.

Mike.

a page of jokes off for me. Happy with them all and a couple are very newsjacky so pleased over all

First time in years I've submitted to Newsjack. First time in years I've submitted to anywhere actually. I'll use lack of recent experience to console myself when nothing gets in.

Half a page of one liners for me today, and 2 sketches yesterday. Quite happy with them.

Good luck everyone!