Newsjack - Series 9 Page 22

They do! They promise they do!

They obviously don't read them all in the same f**king mood though, do they?

:D

Dan

The way I understand it (and I may have it wrong) they have 'readers' who sift through everything and stick them in a 'maybe folder', on a server I suppose.
These are then picked up by the script editors to see which are worth working on.
A bit like filtering out the disturbed, deluded and deformed on X-Factor for Gary to see. But in reverse?

Yeah, basically it's the producers and the staff writers who read everything, bung in a 'maybe' folder. Then the script ed and the 'other' producer (ie ensuring everything gets read by two people).

(I've got it in my head somewhere that *everything* gets two readthroughs, but I'm not sure that's right.)

Dan

It's not a criticism from me or anything like that, it's great they accept stuff, just I find it unlikely that each reader reads every sketch and one-liner from their batch, also luck comes in I guess with what reader you get, you may keep missing that one who thinks you're the king of comedy....

I'm pretty certain that every reader has either written on or produced Newsjack before, so they all know the style of the show and what will works. You're bound to get some personal differences of opinion as to what's funny, but the main thing is to make sure it's both funny and in the style of NJ.

I'm sure the producers get some stuff that they think is funny but that they can't use. I also think it's why they keep saying go for the smaller stories as if you are the only one writing about something you are going to sound a lot fresher than the 100+ anti daily mail sketches they probably got this week.

Quote: curtis patrick @ October 3 2013, 3:14 PM BST

It's not a criticism from me or anything like that, it's great they accept stuff, just I find it unlikely that each reader reads every sketch and one-liner from their batch, also luck comes in I guess with what reader you get, you may keep missing that one who thinks you're the king of comedy....

The script eds 'lead' the writing, so it's pretty much up to them what angles they like and don't like. Hence there are various flavours over the course of the series that tend to be linked to script eds, if you like. So, you might not be in tune with that script ed but, as it's a developmental show (for everyone: script eds, producers, not just writers), you might be in future.

Obviously the decent sketches that make it through the slush pile set the tone for the show, and the script eds polish to their taste. There are not at all many that make it through to the final stage each week. I would say in region of 15-20 at best. Out of, say, 700 sketches. So 2%.

Quote: Monkeywithtypewriter @ October 3 2013, 3:26 PM BST

I'm pretty certain that every reader has either written on or produced Newsjack before, so they all know the style of the show and what will works. You're bound to get some personal differences of opinion as to what's funny, but the main thing is to make sure it's both funny and in the style of NJ.

The script eds now have worked their way up (predominently) through their work on Newsjack, but I believe most were known to the BBC through other avenues (ie Writers' Room). That's been necessary so far, as NJ is only now started to be old enough to develop its own script eds, as it were.

Dan

I get very confused about the smaller vs bigger stories.

I tend to go for the more unusual stories for sketches as I reckon that most people are striving to get sketches aired.... therefore the bigger stories are more fully covered. I aim for the smaller stories to maximise my chances of hitting an angle with originality.... However I then panic about the stories I have chosen being TOO niche and imagine the script ed's preferring the "bigger" stories so that the show isn't missing something big.

One liners.... I do a bit of both big and small.

Hello by the way. This is my first day at BCG big school. Someone has already nicked my lunch and flushed me.

Dan.

Hello Dan! Welcome!

Other Dan

Quote: Danno375 @ October 3 2013, 3:38 PM BST

Hello by the way. This is my first day at BCG big school. Someone has already nicked my lunch and flushed me.

Dan.

Hello Dan.

Just don't go near the gym by yourself.

Mike.

Hi Dan. Other Dan. Dan the man.

If any of you knew me, then you would be fully aware, from my physique alone, that I am very unlikely to be near a gym. Unless "gym" has become parlance for some kind of sandwich, without my knowing.

Quote: Danno375 @ October 3 2013, 3:38 PM BST

I tend to go for the more unusual stories for sketches as I reckon that most people are striving to get sketches aired.... therefore the bigger stories are more fully covered. I aim for the smaller stories to maximise my chances of hitting an angle with originality.... However I then panic about the stories I have chosen being TOO niche and imagine the script ed's preferring the "bigger" stories so that the show isn't missing something big.

If you want to confuse yourself further then have a look at some of the NJ videos online where former writer / script editor James Kettle says he prefers sketches that are a unique take on the big news story of the week.

I think the main advice is ( a) stand out and (b) be funny.

Sad to say the Danny Dyer from last night wasn't mine. I write a Danny Dyer sketch on Monday and the next day he's all over the news for a whole different reason. What are the chances of that?

Of course, James Kettle doesn't script edit it any more, so that might not apply!

Quote: StephenM @ October 3 2013, 4:33 PM BST

Sad to say the Danny Dyer from last night wasn't mine. I write a Danny Dyer sketch on Monday and the next day he's all over the news for a whole different reason. What are the chances of that?

Danny Dyer's Hardest Sketch To Write in the UK

Dan

Don't beat yourself up over a Danny Dyer sketch. I'm sure there is a joke to go along with that, but I don't want to join the queue of wishing I written a Danny Dyer funny.

Smarmy

Drumroll...

Adrian Gray
Alex Buchanan
Alice Gregg
Ash Williamson
Brennan Reece
Chaz Robertshaw
Danny Garlick
Eleanor Green
Gabby H-C
Gary Abbott