Status report Page 5,866

I put it in the wrong place, really. Is rather amusing either way.

Quote: zooo @ 27th October 2015, 5:37 PM GMT

I put it in the wrong place

Ooer Missus.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th October 2015, 9:03 PM GMT

Ooer Missus.

You sick little man! :D

Quote: DaButt @ 27th October 2015, 3:49 PM GMT

It is reliable-ish. http://www.computerworld.com/article/2971826/cybercrime-hacking/hack-to-steal-cars-with-keyless-ignition-volkswagen-spent-2-years-hiding-flaw.html

Here's an article about "smart" guns written by a cybersecurity expert: http://www.forbes.com/sites/josephsteinberg/2014/05/04/smartguns/

The aforementioned article mentions New Jersey's Childproof Handgun Bill which will make it illegal to sell non-smart handguns in the state 3 years after such guns become commercially available and are approved by the state. Gee, police are exempt from the law. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why: cops don't trust the technology. They want their weapons to be as simple and reliable as possible.

Aye I had read that second link before. A case of a Govmt dept putting the cart before the horse. Mandating a change before the technology is ready.

I refer the Hon Gentleman to this paragraph near the end:

A far better approach than government mandates would be to let the free market for handguns - which, in the United States, for better or for worse, is immense - incent manufacturers to create safer weapons. Fund research. Run invention contests. Incent improvements. If smartguns were designed that were sufficiently reliable and, at the same time, safer than conventional firearms, people would want them; law enforcement agencies would start procuring them, and private citizens would follow suit.

That's one way to help make our country safer for everyone.

Instead of poo poohing every suggestion why don't you try to write the specification for a safer gun that would be acceptable.

For instance one in which the inhibit firing device is active by default, but which can be switched off (by a secret code or somesuch) or taken out by any owner who feels that it might make it more dangerouse for him/her. I'd bet that most owners, especially family owners would leave the inhibitor in place and active.

Quote: billwill @ 27th October 2015, 10:54 PM GMT

Instead of poo poohing every suggestion why don't you try to write the specification for a safer gun that would be acceptable.

I haven't poo-poohed anything; I've just pointed out obvious shortcomings and drawbacks to "smart" guns.

Ok, here are my rough specifications for an acceptable "smart" gun:

1) It should fire reliably 100% of the time when the person holding it needs it to do so in a legal manner.

That's it. Simple, right? But here are some scenarios that will complicate the job of the engineers and programmers who will design the weapon, its sensors and its safety systems:

a) Infants and toddlers shouldn't be able to fire the weapon, but young children (5 and up?) should be able to fire the weapon in self-defence against burglars, etc.

b) Convicted felons, drug users, the mentally ill and anyone else not normally allowed to possess a firearm shouldn't be able to fire the weapon, but if they find themselves in danger they should be allowed to fire and defend themselves. So a gang member shouldn't be able to fire a weapon, but if another gang member is threatening to kill him, he should be allowed to fire.

c) Nobody should be able to grab a cop's weapon and use it against him, but if the cop has gone rogue and is about to murder an innocent, his weapon should be able to be used against him. Similarly, a fellow officer or bystander should be able to pick up a cop's weapon and use it in self-defence or to defend the cop.

Do you see where this is all headed? There are billions of possible scenarios that would have to be instantly analyzed and processed in the fraction of a second while the trigger is pulled. Perhaps in the future we'll have the computing power and adequate sensors to make such advanced calculations and split-second decisions, but that technology doesn't exist at the moment. And when it comes down to it, all we're trying to do is take all of our laws and convert them into some sort of massive algorithm that we can connect to a bunch of sensors and cram into a handheld weapon. Perhaps it would be cheaper, more efficient and more reasonable to just allow our legal system to do its job and prosecute and punish people who use firearms in an illegal manner?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 27th October 2015, 9:06 PM GMT

You sick little man! :D

That's me, no denying it. :$

I'm not sure there's many good scenarios that involve a 5 year old shooting a gun. Well unless I guess it's on a range with lots of supervision.

How has the gangbanger got their hands on a smart gun? Why is anyone only programming it to only work on other criminals?

This is starting to sound like you've taken up a career writing for Dr WHo.

The simplest solution is control the shooter then the gun. If you're not a licensed, reputable person of soundmind, clean criminal history and some reasonable reason for owning a gun....you don't. Also if you really, really want to shoot a relatively high powered military carbine. Then leave it securely locked up in a range. That way it's lessy likely a "bad guy" who may just be your f**ked up glue sniffing nephew, is less likely to get his hands on it.

No guisers tonight. I'll be forced to eat all the Cadbury's Heroes myself. The tangerines and apples will keep.

Worried about my older wean on the plane to Boston, US. Always worry about these things.

Quote: keewik @ 31st October 2015, 11:50 PM GMT

Worried about my older wean

?????????

Is it the word 'wean' that confuses you? Anyway, just had a text that he's landed so plane panic over.

I see L.E is knocking about! How's it going

Quote: keewik @ 1st November 2015, 12:13 AM GMT

Is it the word 'wean' that confuses you? Anyway, just had a text that he's landed so plane panic over.

Well you wean someone off something.

Do you mean wee 'un?

No. I think the word 'wean' probably means a child that's been weaned, but I haven't ever Googled it.

Quote: keewik @ 31st October 2015, 11:50 PM GMT

Worried about my older wean on the plane to Boston, US. Always worry about these things.

Just spent a pleasant Halloween with the neighbors. One of them is a transplant from Boston and he shared some fine cigars. It was a fun night of costumed children and general merrymaking.