Status report Page 5,867

Quote: Chappers @ 1st November 2015, 12:32 AM GMT

Well you wean someone off something.

Do you mean wee 'un?

You answered your own question, it was bleedin' obvious what it meant.

Quote: Lee @ 1st November 2015, 12:23 AM GMT

I see L.E is knocking about! How's it going

I'm pretty sure that emoji was made for me wasn't it? Laughing out loud

I'm well. Was brought back by the news of Oldrocker... Made me realise how much I loved the forums here.

The TBN was offered a free hamster cage yesterday. She has been pondering it ever since, despite owning two cats. Mr TBN, knowing his wife's childlike avoidance of cage cleaning his dismissed the idea at 19:01 this evening.

Advice needed. I might need to go to a Jewish funeral - what do I need to know about dress, etiquette, etc.?

Quote: L.E. @ 1st November 2015, 6:14 PM GMT

I'm pretty sure that emoji was made for me wasn't it? Laughing out loud

I'm well. Was brought back by the news of Oldrocker... Made me realise how much I loved the forums here.

Yes, I had to search for it but had a laugh rereading that old thread (which nobody needs to bump). Glad to hear you're well!

It's good to see Dave is still bringing things to the forums.

Quote: keewik @ 1st November 2015, 12:13 AM GMT

Is it the word 'wean' that confuses you? Anyway, just had a text that he's landed so plane panic over.

Glad he landed safely. Mine's on a plane to San Diego.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 1st November 2015, 7:08 PM GMT

The TBN was offered a free hamster cage yesterday. She has been pondering it ever since, despite owning two cats. Mr TBN, knowing his wife's childlike avoidance of cage cleaning his dismissed the idea at 19:01 this evening.

Just got our daughter a hamster, after a year of trying to put her off. It has a mansion of a cage, but makes so much noise running on it's wheel, I'm amazed my daughter can sleep, as they're nocturnal. But if you don't mind the noise, check out the mini zorbes for them. Balls then run around in. They love em.

Quote: keewik @ 1st November 2015, 8:24 PM GMT

Advice needed. I might need to go to a Jewish funeral - what do I need to know about dress, etiquette, etc.?

In general nothing much different from Christian funeral.

Other than the prayers are in hebrew and the body is wrapped in a shroud rather than placed in a coffin.

If it's an orthodox family then men and women might sit separately at the service.

Also if more orthodox/traditional there's a week of prayers at the home of the deceased.

Oh and it's traditional to wish the bereaved "a long life"

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/going-to-a-jewish-funeral/

Thanks for that and I'll look at the link. Funeral is tomorrow - elderly mother of a friend.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 2nd November 2015, 10:28 AM GMT

Just got our daughter a hamster, after a year of trying to put her off. It has a mansion of a cage, but makes so much noise running on it's wheel, I'm amazed my daughter can sleep, as they're nocturnal. But if you don't mind the noise, check out the mini zorbes for them. Balls then run around in. They love em.

I had one as a teenager and yes, the zorbs are great. Syrian hamsters in particular smell quite a bit though, don't they.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 2nd November 2015, 9:54 PM GMT

Syrian hamsters in particular smell quite a bit though, don't they.

Syrian hamster? Is that a euphemism?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 2nd November 2015, 9:57 PM GMT

Syrian hamster? Is that a euphemism?

It could be I guess as in "I've got a lovely furry rodent up in my room - fancy a squint?"

Quote: sootyj @ 2nd November 2015, 2:29 PM GMT

In general nothing much different from Christian funeral.

Other than the prayers are in hebrew and the body is wrapped in a shroud rather than placed in a coffin.

If it's an orthodox family then men and women might sit separately at the service.

Also if more orthodox/traditional there's a week of prayers at the home of the deceased.

Oh and it's traditional to wish the bereaved "a long life"

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/going-to-a-jewish-funeral/

I found it less depressing than the usual funerals maybe because it was tied in to the set prayers (yes, in Hebrew, though a brief translation was given), except for when the older son spoke about his mother's life. Men and women were on opposite sides but we were standing all the time. Body was in a coffin. My only faux pas was when I nearly skipped the hand washing queue by going in the wrong door, but the Rabbi directed me towards the queue. Happily it was a lovely sunny day, though cold. Interestingly it tuned out the burial ground was next door to the graveyard where my great grandfather lies.

Well this will cheer you up..........well me at least. Just found out I won £15.10 on the Euromillions with a 2+2 match. :D Stuck a tenner straight back in as it is £71 million this Friday.

Don't waste your money on Friday as I will be winning the millions.