Status report Page 5,739

Quote: keewik @ 8th January 2015, 11:29 AM GMT

I have an Omega from 1976. It stopped working in the summer but I decided not to have it serviced as it cost about £300 last time - I must have been mad to pay that. I'm pondering taking it to a wee local man who does all sorts of things (engraving etc), one of which, allegedly, is watch repairs. Since the thing isn't working I don't suppose it would matter if he buggered it up further.

I would try to find out its value first. If it is valuable, even if not working, a tinkerer could knock hundreds if not thousands off its value.

One good way to find values is to search for the item on ebay, but tick the box in the left column that says "Show onlY: Sold listings"(or something similar).

The asking price is not a value, a selling price is.

Quote: Jennie @ 7th January 2015, 10:07 PM GMT

Oh I am. I feel so bad about eating one packet I may need to eat another.

In other news, the cord from my bathroom light has just completely fallen out. I therefore have no light in my bathroom. Any ideas of how to replace it? Am I going to have to unscrew the plastic cover and somehow reattach it?

Jennie, this video shows you what is involved in changing a pull-cord switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeOiovb72yk

If you do it yourself, remember to do it while you have daylight, because you will need to cut the power to your lighting circuit.

Quote: Jennie @ 7th January 2015, 10:07 PM GMT

Oh I am. I feel so bad about eating one packet I may need to eat another.

In other news, the cord from my bathroom light has just completely fallen out. I therefore have no light in my bathroom. Any ideas of how to replace it? Am I going to have to unscrew the plastic cover and somehow reattach it?

You can replace the cord only but it is fiddly and if it is presumably now an old switch it is probably time to replace the whole thing.
The vid. Billwill has pointed to you is very good BUT it is never as easy as he makes it appear.

This is precisely what dads are for!

I had a lightbulb moment once.

Quote: Marc P @ 8th January 2015, 10:25 PM GMT

I had a lightbulb moment once.

I'm not sure that I've ever had what could truly be described as a light moment. :)

For gods sake don't go into critique then!

Quote: Marc P @ 8th January 2015, 10:38 PM GMT

For gods sake don't go into critique then!

Laughing out loud

Quote: zooo @ 8th January 2015, 10:10 PM GMT

This is precisely what dads are for!

I know! Mine selfishly lives 200 miles away. I have photographed offending pull cord and insisted he attends promptly. What else is retirement for?*

Thanks for the video, Billwill (and hello! Not "seen" you in ages Wave). I feel playing around with electricity is probably a bit beyond me. My hair is curly enough already!

This is clearly the first of the three times in every year that I wished I lived with a boy. It passes quickly. The next one will arrive around April time.

*I should say that I actually have the best parents ever. If I rang and said I needed them they would be here in a heartbeat. I am very lucky. <3

Just light a candle Jennie ,

Like they say if life gives you lemons slice them and make a gin cocktail.

I do currently have candles.

And gin.

Not sure about the "cocktail" - does that mean mixing my gin with something?? :O

Ben has a first aid refresher course next week. He's not looking forward to it. Too much role play.

Quote: Jennie @ 8th January 2015, 11:21 PM GMT

I do currently have candles.

And gin.

Not sure about the "cocktail" - does that mean mixing my gin with something?? :O

Technically mixing it with tonic water counts as a cocktail!!

Not in my book mind! :)

Quote: Ben @ 9th January 2015, 10:55 AM GMT

Ben has a first aid refresher course next week. He's not looking forward to it. Too much role play.

That dreadful moment when you find out who your mouth-to-mouth resuscitation partner is.....

Quote: Ben @ 9th January 2015, 10:55 AM GMT

Have to do mine in a month or so along with cpr. Means I get to escape the office for a day but extra work to do the next one.