Doctor Who... Page 1,104

From the look of it, it feels like they might have had to trim the budget a little.
Let's hope they've diverted funds to some decent story-telling.
As ever, I shall watch with hope in my heart.

BCG reaction to exciting new series:

Is Donald Trump just out of shot there?

It was amazing, a real example of how British scifi is fearless and respects story telling.

Spoilers ahoy.

The prequel section in Skaro was clever. All slow reveals and intelligent use of both horror and sfx. Aimed at hard core fans and worth going to Google for new recruits.

Problem is that bit lasted 5 minutes.

Then we're into; yet another rip off the bloody Star wars Cantina scene with Ood. How can a show zip between 5 planets in 45 minutes and still be so damned dull?

The sisterhood of Kahn ressembled a lost WI bus tour of Llandydnu.

UNIT are no longer the action packed, exciting bunch of military meatheads who the Doc argues with. No now they meekly wear casual clothes and round up whichever of the Dr assisstants are left on Earth to save them.

Why not just get Suzanne and Jamie out of their old folks home?

In this case from a phenomenally, dull special fx, ooh someone paused the Tivo player scary!

Michelle Gomez rants and kills some extras who we don't care about.

Then thingy the dull assistant blubs, then the doctor does whacky.

In a viking set so horribly over lit and badly filmed it could have been the fage end of Sylvest McCoys run.

Then we meet Davros, arguably the greatest Who villain. Part Nazi scientist, part guilt ridden abandoned dad.

Now reduced to Lord Voldemort with custody issues. For some utterly dull filler chats with the Dr.

The story is nonsensical, there's no tension and the budget is stretched ridiculously to make everything looks so cheap.

The colony thing is just bad CGI any animator could do on their laptop in an afternoon.

F**k it's awful. And I'm bemused Moffatt wrote some of the best sharpest Who's and TV of all time.

Why isn't he even trying?

And no I'm not impressed Peter Capaldi can play the theme on his guitar.

Well I enjoyed both episodes, so there.

Well I thought tonight's episode was great. However, there seems to be only me watching it.

It's never been the same since Sylvester McCoy left.

Quote: Jack F @ 26th September 2015, 10:30 PM BST

Well I enjoyed both episodes, so there.

BCG the second best place for a well constructed argument outside of the Labour party.

Second one was slightly better than the first. But a nonsensical story, an "withone bound he was free!" conclusion and more bloody regeneration energy.

That and what the hell is Missy's relationship with the Dr? The only thing that makes sense is her relationship with Clara. Which seems some poorly thought out lesbain SM relationship featuring Clara as Joey Deacon with tits.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 4th October 2015, 8:00 AM BST

It's never been the same since Sylvester McCoy left.

enough about your failed marriages.

Quote: Jack F @ 3rd October 2015, 10:48 PM BST

Well I thought tonight's episode was great. However, there seems to be only me watching it.

It was an improvement on the last couple of episodes but it was well kind of boring.

The characters were kind of cyphers

Who usually does ghost stories well by using 2 of it's strengths.

1 Building strong, sympathetic characters fast...often in only one episode.

2 Being unafraid to kill them off in a child friendly, but still scary/brutal way.

Check out Horror of Fang Rock, Silence in the Library or even last seasons excellent one with killer graffiti.

These ghosties just walk around slowly, lick peoples ears and killed 2 people no one cared about.

Also the wacky humour is at times just ghastly. Peter Capaldi's Dr is turning into a real disapointment and that seems mostly down to how he's written.

This series has been pretty good do far
I notice the Doc has been using Time travel in both stories, which is unusual,

Yes it seemed to make sense in Under the Lake, but in the other one it seemed a tad superfluos. Also the idea of Daleks having mercy was odd.

Overall it's just a bit inept. The ghosts were sort of an alright big bad, but showing them in bright light walking slowly, really killed the effect.

And as for Daleks going bananas in a white room and spinning around ineffectually, this is what I see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKt-KR1TsRg

Thought Ep. 3 was OK - felt a lot more like the kind of Who is used to like.
Clara is still awful though - a real nuisance.
Tell me, is 'wise-cracking & sassy" the only way these writers can envision a strong female character?
Dare I suggest a female writer might be more up for the job?

The sad thing is it's such a backwards step. Jo and Sara Jane did their own thing and pushed the plot forward separate of the Doc.
Ace was a proper bomb flinging, bat wielding fighty assistant (ok Sophie Aldred was to wooden even for Bill and Ben).

Billi Piper and Katherine Tate were awesomely tough, independent assistants. Who really argued did their own thing and both had awesome episodes with virtually no doctor.

And now we're back to Pondline and Cryer Osbourne. Both of whom pretty much fail the Bechtel test.

It couldn't be going much further in time, if his next assistant was one of the Black and White Minstrels.

Quote: sootyj @ 5th October 2015, 10:47 AM BST

It couldn't be going much further in time, if his next assistant was one of the Black and White Minstrels.

Too late, been there, done that...

I rewatched Father's Day and Turn Left a while ago.

Both were obviously as cheap as chips to film.

But both were really, really strong well written, thrilling and unexpected episodes.

The new Dr focussed stuff is just so very, very weak.

I thought this was a much stronger, much more old fashioned in a good way episode.

With a zippy pace, some decent scares and some really good use of the scenery.

I love the Potemkin village and that the Tardis has an old fashioned phone and an ipad.

And an actual story about time travel, with no "and at one bound he was free!" Nonsence it needed a proper sensible solution.

Still unsure about both guitar and sunglasses.