Doctor Who... Page 1,099

Quote: Marc P @ 25th October 2014, 4:58 PM BST

Enjoyed it. Since my enthusiasm waned alarmingly it has got plenty better. So who says I don't have the ear of the BBC!

The last episode I saw was 'Listen!' which was 'Bollocks!' but I must admit a glance at the titles does make them sound intriguing:

Time Heist - mmm, stealing time - definitely a contender for the title of Moffat's autobigraphy.

The Caretaker - Like, it - The Doctor lands backstage at the Almeida and has to pretend to kick Michael Gambon in the shins while he talks about having to go to Sidcup when the weather clears.

Kill the Moon - A bit like 'Let's Kill Hitler', only with the Moon. Isn't the moon already dead?

Mummy on the Orient Express - What! ...'Mummy'? That's worse than 'Robot of Sherwood'. Presumably Barry Cryer's first writing credit.

Flatline - The Doctor tries to the discover the source of a sinister permed virus from Scotland that is damaging the show's ratings.

In the Forest of the Night - Sadly probably more Wimoweh than Auguries of Innocence.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 26th October 2014, 6:27 PM GMT

The last episode I saw was 'Listen!' which was 'Bollocks!' but I must admit a glance at the titles does make them sound intriguing:

Time Heist - mmm, stealing time - definitely a contender for the title of Moffat's autobigraphy.

The Caretaker - Like, it - The Doctor lands backstage at the Almeida and has to pretend to kick Michael Gambon in the shins while he talks about having to go to Sidcup when the weather clears.

Kill the Moon - A bit like 'Let's Kill Hitler', only with the Moon. Isn't the moon already dead?

Mummy on the Orient Express - What! ...'Mummy'? That's worse than 'Robot of Sherwood'. Presumably Barry Cryer's first writing credit.

Flatline - The Doctor tries to the discover the source of a sinister permed virus from Scotland that is damaging the show's ratings.

In the Forest of the Night - Sadly probably more Wimoweh than Auguries of Innocence.

The c**ting bastards from shitsville-Not bad this one the Dr swears at a Cyberman till it crys then explodes, Clara f**ks Davros like a right dirty slapper and the POLARITY GETS FUCKING REVERSED IN FUCKING E SPACE

The last episode sounds awesome but you may have dreamed it.

Do you think the plots start out as an incoherent mess? Or is it just that Moffatt edits out all the exposition, splices in swathes of soap and then throws in any random images that happen to tickle his fancy (cybermen - on the steps of St Pauls! Yeah baby!)?

I think your right.
There is a school of screenwriting that puts the emphasis on "Trailer Moments" i.e. you start with what makes a good trailer - "Let's kill Hitler!", "The moon's an egg!", a list of shots you'd like to see - then weave your story about those elements.

I think Lazzard has it nailed

and a weird lack of respect for Cannon, I mean is the Dr actually trying to send the TARDIS to heaven.

Quote: sootyj @ 2nd November 2014, 10:41 AM GMT

is the Dr actually trying to send the TARDIS to heaven.

F**k knows, but having set out in the TARDIS to find someone who has died, he then dismisses the notion of the afterlife out of hand...

Also the Cybermen have for decades been happily turning humans into Cybermen.

Why do they suddenly need a TimeLord with a Gallifreyan hard drive.

So far this story has dumped on abortion, organ donation and now immigration.

I think Moffatts a UKIP supporter.

I also like the idea of a slightly camp cyber-man interior decorator showing the new owners round the building:
"Wait till you see what we've done to the doors - Yes! they look like cyberman eyes! Don't you just LOVE it?"

It's weird there's no tension it had weeks of build up, the Master, life after death but meh.

Bizarrely the Danny Pink sbplot for once seemed to be where things were at. The whole thing that he'd lied about his career as a soldier and forced Clara to let him go.

Quote: Tursiops @ 2nd November 2014, 10:02 AM GMT

Do you think the plots start out as an incoherent mess? Or is it just that Moffatt edits out all the exposition, splices in swathes of soap and then throws in any random images that happen to tickle his fancy (cybermen - on the steps of St Pauls! Yeah baby!)?

No. The Cybermen on the steps of St. Pauls is the opposite of random - it's a reference to The Invasion - a story from 1968.

Perhaps the fact that I know that and you guys don't explains why I often think it's shit when you think it's okay.

I haven't seen Saturday's episode - or any after Listen!, but I can tell you that referencing an 'iconic scene' (yawn) shows why the programme is such a mess - it's lost up a post-modern jacksee of images separated from their original context.

It's like trying to make a meal from left-overs. And then a another meal from the leftovers of that meal. Eventually you're eating garbage.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 2nd November 2014, 1:48 PM GMT

No. The Cybermen on the steps of St. Pauls is the opposite of random - it's a reference to The Invasion - a story from 1968.

Perhaps the fact that I know that and you guys don't explains why I often think it's shit when you think it's okay.

I think they probably knew that as well

I thought it was a relatively decent episode
Moffat does part 1's of 2 parters quite well.

It's when it has to be resolved that it goes pear shaped

SPOILER

I mean that's 2 new versions of the Master in New Who, I think one was sort of ok.

But both missed the point. The Master was I believe one of 3 new long lasting characters especially introduced for Pertwee with the aim of them being long lasting additions.

Quite a simple character, an evil Time lord, who was senior to and generally smarter than the Doctor. But who's arrogance and evil let him get outsmarted by the Doctor.
And he would be played by Antony Delgano.

Dead simple easily one of the most popular villains.

And now replaced, by another hysterical incarnation of pure evil.

Just invent a new evil Time Lord, I mean they even did it with Pierce Brosnans rather good evil president.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 2nd November 2014, 1:53 PM GMT

I think they probably knew that as well

Timbo described it as a 'random image' in his post so he didn't.

I though he meant random because it was kind of shoe horned in
Oh look we happen to be here for this modern update of an iconic image

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 2nd November 2014, 1:54 PM GMT

Timbo described it as a 'random image' in his post so he didn't.

I think he did as well, it is such an iconic image it could be described as above.

I think with Dr Who every now and then it hits a sweet spot, harder than almost any scifi show.

So I guess I hang around waiting for that, Capaldi's Doctor is a bit of a disapointment.

nb the old, you think you're in X but actually you're in a big computer program mu ha ha.

Is such an ancient scifi trope, Star Trek has done it over and over amongst others. Moffatt really didn't do anything with it.