Doctor Who... Page 1,094

Quote: sootyj @ 28th September 2014, 1:02 PM BST

Notionally hetro bloke you've got to tick the box elsewhere.

Is that a euphemism?

It was like they made conscious decision to distill everything that is wrong with the show into a single episode.

Next weeks looks alright though

Quote: Tursiops @ 28th September 2014, 8:45 PM BST

It was like they made conscious decision to distill everything that is wrong with the show into a single episode.

Yes, and I would be as loud as anyone in condemning the inclusion of so much romance at the expense of proper sci-fi; and yet, I've been enjoying this series (apart from the first episode, which I gave up on out of boredom) more than any other new-Who. Capaldi playing Malcolm Tucker as Who is such a roaring success that he seems to make it all work somehow.

Can't agree it's a terribly uneven performance which says more about the scripts than anything.

So it switches from psychotically unpleasant in the Dalek one, to childish in Listen and this week just a bit of an arse.

Agree, Capaldi's doctor has been a dog's breakfast.

There were some funny lines, but not as many as in School Reunion, which had the advantage of a decent villain and none of the dull romance. What previous episode are they going to crib from next week?

The alien was comically bad.

They are really labouring the soldier thing aren't they? Making sure nobody has forgotten by the series finale, no doubt. Whether anyone is still watching by then seems immaterial.

Did anyone else hear a teacher say "f**k off" in the early staffroom scene?

missed it, yes School Reunion had Anthony Head in it, he's rather good.

And poor old Brig and Benton thought the Doc was their pal.

To be fair he was always mad at the brig for bombing everything to bits.

Well...

Its come to a point now where its become unwatchable. The writing, the plots and the characters are all so very dire.

On the plus side it managed some moments of suspense, but, oh dear...

Can't be bothered to critique the episode, but a few general points:

Moffat does not get the willing suspension of disbelief involved in the premise of the show. The hero can travel through time, which kind of means he knows everything before it happens and could prevent it happening, which is a logical paradox. We all just choose to ignore this, and accept that time travel is just a device for getting the Doc to where he needs to be. But no Moffatt feels he has to draw attention to the inconsistencies by making half arsed attempts to explain them away.

And yet, he misses the important thing, which is that each episode should have its own internal logic, cheerfully letting through the most gaping plot holes.

Also do we need to have the moral, historical etc significance of each story so relentlessly rammed down our throats? These aren't plots they are f**king parables.

And the attempt at human drama in the relationships between the Doctor and his assistants is soap opera crass. They might as well land the Tardis in Albert Square and be done with it.

I keep watching but I feel like I am trapped in an abusive relationship with someone I once loved.

I liked it! :D

Seldom has physics been so abused as in this week's episode.

I quite liked it, it went a bit static and talky and the final epilogue was a waste.
But it was a nice nutty idea, with a proper structure, strong characters and an actual plot.