EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 22

That's not how it works though!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th June 2016, 10:14 AM BST

Then it's the fault of the many millions of people for loving lunacy and extreme ideals themselves, or really human nature. Adolf Hitler didn't seize power in an illegal coup, he got voted in on a landslide of support.

Urban myth that, no party could get a majority in the German chancellory.

So Bismark invited Hitler to form a government, which he did.

Then burned the chancellory to the ground.

It has now come to light that it seems less than half the country wants this, so the whole poll should be voided. It IS embarrassing - a bit like storming out of a room and slamming the door, only to realise afterwards that you've left your coat behind, but if implemented it will be going against what most want.

If this was in a court of law, it would be a hung jury.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th June 2016, 9:20 AM BST

EU President Martin Schulz has the right idea - get us kicked out now not in two years. It's a done deal so let's get out of the Euro shit now!!

Because he as a lame duck PM would be in a phenomenally weak position to negotiate.

And since when has 44% of our trade with the world been in shit? Do we have some giant guano farms in the Midlands or something?

Ryanair have been quick off the mark withdrawing a big contract, way too quick really, but it shows the sense of unease which now surrounds the UK's future and place in the world.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 25th June 2016, 12:22 PM BST

That's not how it works though!

Of course it isn't - my point was that he is a hypocrite to add to a long list of other character traits.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th June 2016, 4:33 AM BST

Only 19% of 18-24 year olds planned a 'leave' vote, with Scotland voting to remain, so my question is, is this a fair democracy? Really?

people in their twenties or even thirties are still living with their parents, only it will be even harder for them to get onto property ladder now (house prices may fall, but mortgages will rise).

I argued all along that those over 60 should not be voting:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 20th May 2016, 11:50 PM BST

The question I'm asking myself, as someone over 60 years of age, is "should I vote at all?". If I did so I would vote to leave (I voted "no" in 1975).

But I strongly believe that voting in this referendum should be limited to those under 60 (or even younger). Those over 60 have already voted once, albeit on a slightly different question, and their decision duly implemented for better or for worse.

The polls say that younger people are more likely to vote to stay in. What right have I, who has no long term future and who hasn't got to worry about any impact on the job market, got to interfere with those who have?

Let's face it - my generation has already messed up the world for future generations. Let those whose long term future it will affect now decide their own destiny.

In my opinion those who wanted to remain in the EU had not done their research. They didn't actually know what they were wanting to Remain in.

Start with this 6 year old article, written long before the fear & doom of the campaign and work outwards from there. http://www.economist.com/blogs/charlemagne/2010/06/bureaucrats_brussels

In the UK Pariament we have now largely eliminated gravy train corruption by tighter control of expenses etc, but it is rife in the EU.

As for the protest vote stuff mentioned above, it must be small because in this report, already mentioned http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-7-graphs-that-explain-how-brexit-won-eu-explained-a7101676.html most actual decicions to Leave were made long ago, before the both-side doom&gloom campaigns.

When did voters decide? It appears the overwhelming appetite to leave Europe is more than a year old, and was secured a few months ago, with Leave merely hanging onto their support in recent weeks, having won the crucial margin in 2014 and 2015.

The whole EU organization needed a violent shock to roust it out of its dogmatic, obstinate ways and by golly the UK has done that with this referendum. Yes it will be expensive but in the long run it will be worth it.

The young who now complain (that Brexit will now disrupt their easy life) nothing is really lost, if the EU improves then in 10 to 20 years when the present young are in charge they can then apply to rejoin the EU. Just like we oldsters did when we were in our 30s.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th June 2016, 12:28 PM BST

It has now come to light that it seems less than half the country wants this, so the whole poll should be voided. It IS embarrassing - a bit like storming out of a room and slamming the door, only to realise afterwards that you've left your coat behind, but if implemented it will be going against what most want.

If this was in a court of law, it would be a hung jury.

Sorry but that is the most desperate rubbish and extremely undemocratic. If you want undemocratic authoritarian rule there are plenty of countries you can move to. The British populace have just voted to leave one institution that's moved alarmingly that way.

You lot are making Aussies look like good losers, we had a fair referendum, Remain lost by nearly 4%. This petition crap is the most pathetic toddler tantrum I've ever witnessed. And it'll rightly be thrown out!

Quote: billwill @ 25th June 2016, 1:01 PM BST

The young who now complain (that Brexit will now disrupt their easy life) nothing is really lost, if the EU improves then in 10 to 20 years when the present young are in charge they can then apply to rejoin the EU. Just like we oldsters did when we were in our 30s.

That's a great consolation to them I'm sure! I'm struggling to see how the young of today have an easy life. I'm afraid you are sounding way out of touch Bill.

10,000 European Union officials better paid than David Cameron

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10847979/10000-European-Union-officials-better-paid-than-David-Cameron.html

That's our tax money !

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 25th June 2016, 1:16 PM BST

That's a great consolation to them I'm sure! I'm struggling to see how the young of today have an easy life. I'm afraid you are sounding way out of touch Bill.

No it's more likely that you are out of touch with reality. The present young have it easy compared to what we lived through.

http://www.mylearning.org/family-life-in-the-1950s/p-1593/

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 25th June 2016, 1:16 PM BST

Well the young don't know as much as the old do, they wouldn't have seen their earnings decrease and their rent and bills increase, wouldn't have been denied previously assured jobs by a flood of cheap foreign labour.

The way some of them are behaving now, they don't deserve to British, it certainly sounds like they don't want to be. It's an utter disgrace how some are kicking up about a fair and sound defeat.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th June 2016, 1:03 PM BST

Sorry but that is the most desperate rubbish and extremely undemocratic. If you want undemocratic authoritarian rule there are plenty of countries you can move to. The British populace have just voted to leave one institution that's moved alarmingly that way.

You lot are making Aussies look like good losers, we had a fair referendum, Remain lost by nearly 4%. This petition crap is the most pathetic toddler tantrum I've ever witnessed. And it'll rightly be thrown out!

Absolute rubbish Alfred J UKipper! So protest votes which weren't even serious or intentional still count in your world? People who drew a penis or whatever because they thought it wouldn't count, but did, also do?

If this whole exercise was fair I probably wouldn't even be commenting on it today - but facts are emerging from people who are saying their vote to leave was due to ignorance, misinformation or even lies (Farage with money to EU instead going to NHS, which he denies now saying it was the leave campaign error - well who was in charge of leave campaign?!).

So many, whether gullible or suggestible have been conned into voting for something they otherwise wouldn't have . . . and that's the scandal.

EU Regulations: "Dictatorship of the Bureaucrats"? http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4053/eu-regulations

Just one sample from that page (read it all yourselves):

In Germany, meanwhile, opposition is mounting to an EU directive on water-saving showerheads and faucets. According to the German business newspaper Handelsblatt, German appliances are already using 20% less water than in 1990, leading to a situation where the country's sewage pipes are in danger of drying up and cracking because not enough water is being flushed through the system.

In any event, German politicians appear increasingly fatalistic about the future of the EU's Soviet-style "central planning" apparatus. According to Sven Giegold, a Member of the European Parliament with Germany's Green Party, Europe's economic system "has now become too complex for a democracy."

Holger Krahmer, a Member of the European Parliament for Germany's business-friendly Free Democratic Party (FDP), puts it this way: "We are heading for a dictatorship of bureaucrats."

Commission to regulate flushing of toilets and urinals http://www.euractiv.com/section/climate-environment/news/commission-to-regulate-flushing-of-toilets-and-urinals/

All paid for with our tax money; pointless regulations where ordinary market forces will do the same job; better bogs will sell, crappy ones won't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the fundamental differences between Britain and the EU is that:

In the british view something is permitted UNLESS there is a law against it

whereas for a great many continentals and especially EU officials:

Nothing is allowed unless there is a law permitting it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We will be better OUT.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th June 2016, 9:14 AM BST

I agree with every word of it, although they seem to have vanished Huh? USA-UK is the greatest alliance in history by a long way, I've thought for ages there should be some sort of political union between the two, I know there is really but I mean officially. Trump is bang on the nail with that, whatever you think of his mad image.

I, too, agree with Trump's statement. Compare it with Hillary's muted response and Obama's recent remark that a non-EU Britain would "go to the back of the queue" in future trade agreements and then have a think about which president would be the best for UK interests...

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th June 2016, 12:28 PM BST

Only 20% of Americans voted for Obama in the last election and he won with an even smaller percentage of the vote than did Brexit, so should Republicans have demanded that the election be nullified? All this nonsense about second referendums and not allowing older people to vote flies in the face of democracy and is nothing more than a case of sour grapes -- a temper tantrum, if you will.