EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 20

Quote: DaButt @ 24th June 2016, 4:16 PM BST

The recent assassination attempt against Trump received almost no press coverage.

News of that did not reach me! Very interesting.

I've been saying since October, I think there's a good chance Trump will win.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th June 2016, 4:20 PM BST

News of that did not reach me! Very interesting.

I've been saying since October, I think there's a good chance Trump will win.

Surprised that you hadn't heard of it, since the suspect is a British kid who illegally overstayed his visa. He tried to grab a cop's gun to shoot Trump, but was unsuccessful. Apparently he even went to a shooting range to practice, but he wasn't aware that police holsters are designed to thwart attempts to snatch an officer's gun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/21/why-isnt-the-assassination-attempt-on-donald-trump-bigger-news/

Our upcoming election closely mirrors your referendum. If you oppose curtailing immigration you're a racist, etc.

Trump definitely has a shot at winning.

Quote: DaButt @ 24th June 2016, 4:29 PM BST

Surprised that you hadn't heard of it, since the suspect is a British kid who illegally overstayed his visa. He tried to grab a cop's gun to shoot Trump, but was unsuccessful. Apparently he even went to a shooting range to practice, but he wasn't aware that police holsters are designed to thwart attempts to snatch an officer's gun.

Ohhhh! Yes I do remember that - I saw the headlines but never read the articles. Must have been on a day I missed watching the news.

Mad people will always be mad. Be they Trump or attackers.

I actually feel more upset about this referendum result than I did about the Scottish one. I can't even discuss it - it's too awful.

What is it with Ms Sturgeon? Shes had two votes where she came second and still wants another vote. Democracy eh? If I was her I'd cast my mind back the euphoria and popularism when Mr Blair was elected. Given time the electorate will turn on you and bite you badly on the arse.

2votes? Don't follow you.

Quote: keewik @ 24th June 2016, 9:48 PM BST

2votes? Don't follow you.

Scottish independency and Brexit?

A little off topic but I have to say how beautiful Scotland is. They're showing lots of programmes about the Brexit on German TV and I love the interview bits in Scotland. Amazing nature shots and nice people on the streets.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 24th June 2016, 12:19 AM BST

It's an overall victory for Leave.

No question - and actually I predicted it on another forum.

(51-49 two days ago)

It maintains my 100% record of never voting for a winner.

Awful. :(

It's all your fault then. You knew it so you should've voted Leave!

Quote: Aaron @ 24th June 2016, 5:48 AM BST

I think so. I hope so! I hope this is the beginning of the end for the stagnant cess-pit of a body, and the freeing up of the entire continent. Euroscepticism is growing across all nations, and it's time the EU itself took notice.

The sad thing is, I - and therefore, I'm sure, many, many others - could have been persuaded to vote to remain if they showed even the slightest willingness to reform. But they don't. They are heartless bureaucrats with disdain for the public, concentrating only on their rabid ideal of a USE.

Good points. It's obvious that Cameron really didn't see it coming. But what Politician really knows or cares about the real world?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 24th June 2016, 9:59 PM BST

Scottish independency and Brexit?

A little off topic but I have to say how beautiful Scotland is. They're showing lots of programmes about the Brexit on German TV and I love the interview bits in Scotland. Amazing nature shots and nice people on the streets.

Don't think you can count the Brexit. The whole problem is that every local authority area in Scotland voted Remain, so you can hardly say she came second.

And yes - we're wonderful friendly down-to-earth people with beautiful scenery and I'll malky anybody that says differently. Laughing out loud

Quote: keewik @ 24th June 2016, 11:18 PM BST

Don't think you can count the Brexit. The whole problem is that every local authority area in Scotland voted Remain, so you can hardly say she came second.

And yes - we're wonderful friendly down-to-earth people with beautiful scenery and I'll malky anybody that says differently. Laughing out loud

So that means that more than 52% of English people wanted to leave.

Sad day. Although it was nice to see Boris booed and jeered and jostled as he left his house. Hopefully that will happen every day from now on.

Quote: paulted @ 24th June 2016, 6:41 PM BST

If I was her I'd cast my mind back the euphoria and popularism when Mr Blair was elected.

Today reminded me of then too. But with a nastier subtext.

Only 19% of 18-24 year olds planned a 'leave' vote, with Scotland voting to remain, so my question is, is this a fair democracy? Really?

If, for the sake of argument, just one specific city or area alone had majority "out" vote that dictated outcome, that's like the rest of the class being punished for one of the kids being naughty. And it's the kids who will suffer too, but why should they? They didn't ask for this, but now they are asking their parents if it means they will never get a job or a place to live - it's just horrible.

When I was 18 and making big decisions about my future, I decided to seek work straightaway opting for a trainee position (or apprenticeship) rather than going to art college as felt practical experience would be more beneficial than learning more about the history of bloody art . . . but had absolutely no worries about leaving home and finding a flat. I found a place almost straightaway, got 100% mortgage as you just had to be employed - no savings whatsoever, but now, people in their twenties or even thirties are still living with their parents, only it will be even harder for them to get onto property ladder now (house prices may fall, but mortgages will rise).

Did anyone voting 'leave' really not imagine that the cost of living generally would shoot right up? I don't think I have ever felt more empathy for those just starting their adult lives in this new mess - and foreign nationals - and their kids . . . and if someone doesn't pull something out of the bag a bit lively, there will be conflict.

Petition for 2nd referendum to reverse outcome:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

I reckon if there was an unprecedented second vote - it could be more like 70/30 than a 48/52 split now.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th June 2016, 6:50 AM BST

Petition for 2nd referendum to reverse outcome:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

I reckon if there was an unprecedented second vote - it could be more like 70/30 than a 48/52 split now.

Yes this new trend for mass internet petitions is one of the most depressing aspects of modern culture. Mainly annoyed youngens I should think who have no concept of fair play or being a good or honorable loser.

That's why it was vital to get out now because our youth are becoming less and less British and more continental. They would sell our thousand year old heritage and legacy for a euroburger. The young with their wingeing make me laugh - in 20 years time they'd be like us cursing the bossy, morally dodgy Eurocrats who are trying to make us all the same. Well done fellow Brits and thank you for getting us out.

Quote: DaButt @ 24th June 2016, 3:01 PM BST

Today he came up with this jaw-dropping statement:

I agree with every word of it, although they seem to have vanished Huh? USA-UK is the greatest alliance in history by a long way, I've thought for ages there should be some sort of political union between the two, I know there is really but I mean officially. Trump is bang on the nail with that, whatever you think of his mad image.