EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 23

Quote: fopdoodle @ 25th June 2016, 1:40 PM BST

Absolute rubbish Alfred J UKipper! So protest votes which weren't even serious or intentional still count in your world? People who drew a penis or whatever because they thought it wouldn't count, but did, also do?

Er yes, protest votes count in any democratic world. If you don't want it to count then don't vote. A vote is a vote, you can't cancel them out just because you don't like what they voted for and want to suggest they may not have meant it.

And on your last bit all spoiled ballot papers do not count. I'm not sure you've got the hang of this democracy thing yet, Fopdoodle. Eh?

The petition has almost risen to over 1.5 million already. It evokes a valid clause that a democratic process must now consider. So it's not can we have second vote, it's will we....

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

It won't happen Nick, accept the result mate.

It's always amused me how people love the principle of democracy until it produces an outcome they don't like.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 25th June 2016, 2:12 PM BST

The petition has risen to over 1.5 million already.

So about 2.5% of the country's population then? Not exactly a landslide of public opinion.

I don't see anything other than a box to tick that says "I'm a UK citizen" so I can't see how it would be considered a valid poll. Anyone with a bit of programming experience could set up a script to stuff the ballot box with random names and addresses.

Quote: DaButt @ 25th June 2016, 2:20 PM BST

I don't see anything other than a box to tick that says "I'm a UK citizen" so I can't see how it would be considered a valid poll. Anyone with a bit of programming experience could set up a script to stuff the ballot box with random names and addresses.

I can see why you'd say that DaButt, but over 10,000 votes get a response from parliament, over 100,000 gets a discussion. So 1.5 million should win a coffee maker at least. But if this dictates to our parliament, there must be some safeguards in place, it's not Facebook.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 25th June 2016, 2:27 PM BST

But if this dictates to our parliament, there must be some safeguards in place, it's not Facebook.

They ask for a name, email address and a postcode. Safeguards my ass.

We have the same ridiculous system in place and people are always abusing it to no real effect.

WOW, nearly 43 million people haven't signed that petition. That's some vote!

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 25th June 2016, 2:12 PM BST

The petition has almost risen to over 1.5 million already. It evokes a valid clause that a democratic process must now consider. So it's not can we have second vote, it's will we....

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Nope. Even if they brought in such a rule it would apply only to future referenda and not to the one we just had.

It is pointless and time wasting and will be seen as such when discussed in Parliament

Besides which the closing deadline for signing the petition is not until 25 NOVEMBER.

Article 50 of the EU rules may well have been invoked by then.

Glad that we are out if only for one reason. The shameful way that the EU was throwing out threats and possible recriminations BEFORE the vote. I would not want to be of an organisation that indulges in such childish petulance. If it had been another country which had voted to leave, I would be similarly repulsed by the EU's childishness.

Absolutely, I saw a news clip of a couple of them and they were looking like spoiled toddlers having had their toys confiscated. This guy spouted out his dictat we should go now with unconcealed vengence. Their contempt for our decision is blaring. And these people earn more than our PM!

The only one who showed any dignity or maturity in her response was the ever respectable Frau Merkel, a tremendous stateswoman whatever her questionable policies have been.

Frankly our PM would be overpaid if we gave him peanuts. He has no judgement in anything including personal relationships (Andy Coulson, Rebecca Brookes) and he's now brought this country to its knees just to appease his bloody Tory party.

Whether anyone is an outie or an innie - regardless of which way they voted, this outcome always meant there would be a new kind of special mess and people kicking off as a result of confusion, uncertainty and conflict between sides - but I never imagined that it would be quite this epic.

We saw it here in 2014, but I'd say this is worse.

Well I voted remain, but I'm not going to cry my eyes out about it.

And I'm certainly not going to try and demand another referendum. Or claim that we're a country of racists.

Let's just see what happens.