EU Referendum - In Or Out? Page 18

Quote: DaButt @ 24th June 2016, 5:38 AM BST

Congrats! The EU as we know it is probably finished, but that doesn't mean that something better can't rise from its ashes.

I think so. I hope so! I hope this is the beginning of the end for the stagnant cess-pit of a body, and the freeing up of the entire continent. Euroscepticism is growing across all nations, and it's time the EU itself took notice.

The sad thing is, I - and therefore, I'm sure, many, many others - could have been persuaded to vote to remain if they showed even the slightest willingness to reform. But they don't. They are heartless bureaucrats with disdain for the public, concentrating only on their rabid ideal of a USE.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th June 2016, 5:48 AM BST

I think so. I hope so! I hope this is the beginning of the end for the stagnant cess-pit of a body, and the freeing up of the entire continent. Euroscepticism is growing across all nations, and it's time the EU itself took notice.

The sad thing is, I - and therefore, I'm sure, many, many others - could have been persuaded to vote to remain if they showed even the slightest willingness to reform. But they don't. They are heartless bureaucrats with disdain for the public, concentrating only on their rabid ideal of a USE.

Once a governing body thinks it's beyond reach, it starts growing and self-serving until it's like a cancer. This kind of thing needs to happen to keep things in check. They're of the people and for the people, not over the people.

Quote: DaButt @ 24th June 2016, 5:59 AM BST

Once a governing body thinks it's beyond reach, it starts growing and self-serving until it's like a cancer. This kind of thing needs to happen to keep things in check. They're of the people and for the people, not over the people.

Absolutely spot on.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th June 2016, 6:02 AM BST

Absolutely spot on.

Yep. While the rest of our country suffers from a recession, Washington rolls merrily along. Their housing prices never drop, their salaries continue to climb and unemployment is never a concern. It's almost as if the Capitol in the Hunger Games books/movies was based on reality...

Quote: DaButt @ 24th June 2016, 6:10 AM BST

Yep. While the rest of our country suffers from a recession, Washington rolls merrily along. Their housing prices never drop, their salaries continue to climb and unemployment is never a concern. It's almost as if the Capitol in the Hunger Games books/movies was based on reality...

We have quite a bizarre situation in London, whereby it's inhabited overwhelmingly by a frothing-left, metropolitan intelligentsia elite. And completely disconnected and out of touch with most of the rest of the country. Last year's General Election shocked them to their core, but they didn't learn from it. Quite the opposite.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th June 2016, 6:24 AM BST

We have quite a bizarre situation in London, whereby it's inhabited overwhelmingly by a frothing-left, metropolitan intelligentsia elite. And completely disconnected and out of touch with most of the rest of the country.

The same here. Look at a map of recent elections and you'll see that our country is essentially left on both coasts and right in the middle. Ignore the folks in the middle at your own political peril.

I should be sleeping, but I'm enjoying watching live video newscasts from the UK. They seem to be in shock.

They are. 'Cos they're all part of the out-of-touch (largely) London-based media.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th June 2016, 6:34 AM BST

They are. 'Cos they're all part of the out-of-touch (largely) London-based media.

I'm watching American lefties freaking out about racism and hatred in the UK vote. What a sad political world we live in.

There has been some of that, undoubtedly. But the fundamental issue, and the end result, will be independence, democracy, accountability, trade, and a global outlook.

I believe it was caused by a surplus of Union flags on websites!

Well Cameron did the decent thing, which I suspect means PM Johnson and P off Corbyn.

What a depressingly stupid farago this has all been.

And a hefty chunk of victory has to go to weak leadership from Labour. Combined with Labour giving up the moral high ground and descending into bullying everyone from Jews and their own Muslim women politicians, to the actual BBC.

I despair of a Tory, UKIP future that lies ahead.

Quote: sootyj @ 24th June 2016, 9:15 AM BST

And a hefty chunk of victory has to go to weak leadership from Labour.

I despair of a Tory, UKIP future that lies ahead.

This.

Quote: Nil Putters @ 24th June 2016, 9:19 AM BST

This.

This times two.

It feels like a bereavement even though the friend who passed away had lost touch with me years ago. People like Ms Stuart may regret their own lack of patriotism (which rationally would be German) when a lurch takes over and decides that the new point-based system isn't just poetic licence for the word zero but thickly labelled "New Repatriation". The key statistic is I have maintained my 100% record in never having voted for a winner.

Because not everyone may have been up and following all night . . . and I'm still trying to take it all in (& Cameron resigning - wtf?!) but want to be proved wrong in what the initial fallout might be for us.

The 'city' in London was also up all night poised for the pound and markets to crash if 'leave' won, along with traders on trade floor saying that overseas buyers would stall/hold off on normal trading until they saw what happened to our currency (so they could buy for less) - which compounded my fear that our economy could crash.

There was a lead by 'leave' by around 6% at around 2am which was a surprising margin, but they said that Scotland was always going to be 60/40 against (Edinburgh actual: 74.4% to remain - wow) - no idea how they knew that before votes counted, but who thought it would remain at roughly 1% as a margin for rest of night, with a win that tight? (and still don't understand how results come in city by city over 9 hours, as surely they are all counted at same time?!)

I figured that if 'leave' won it would be purely down to immigration (which makes me uncomfortable as the one statement I really want to be true is that our current legal immigrants have contributed more than they've taken out) and there is talk of a points system to qualify for entry like Australia which makes sense, but redundant if no-one wants to come here anymore anyway because our economy is on the bloody floor!

I am all for cosmopolitan and was one of the great things about living in London - integration, as it feels right - modern. Segregation only leads to conflict and resentment, and independence comes at a great cost to whole nation, and I even predict riots as there will be years of arguing going on while we are in limbo as no-one has put any plan or even contingency in place for independent vote. It could just be chaos.

I love this country but I don't want to live somewhere that shuns our neighbours, which is in effect, what we're doing. Established independent countries don't have this stigma, but an island that has just snubbed its brothers and sisters will never be seen the same way again which is sad . . . and I still maintain that the 'leavers' are mostly smug little slimeballs only really interested in themselves and power (Boris, Farage etc.) and I have a whole new respect for Gary Lineker since he called Farage a total dick.

Yes - I understand that it costs a lot to be a member of the EU, but who knows how much it will cost us in both short and long term by leaving. That was just one of my arguments for remaining.

We will now see more racism, with morons feeling they have more right now to hound existing immigrants out, and we may even have an even bigger immigrant crisis before new laws on border control are discussed, agreed & implemented - but some voters didn't think about that, did they?

It was proved that this vote was based on immigration given the coastal cities that overwhelmingly voted 'leave', and I don't really see what geography has to do with it as once on the island, one can go anywhere, but I guess there is a problem with people entering this way.

I just need to accept and respect that this is a democracy and collective opinion won - though I still maintain that it was probably a lot of patriotic halfwits (the sorts with Scottish/English flags in their windows) who probably tipped it, and it's the existing immigrants that don't know whether they'll be kicked out later or not, the ex-pats, and small businesses that may not weather the storm that I really feel for. National security is now compromised along with having to re-establish deals with other countries, but that's not my immediate concern as we are already reeling from this in many negative ways because it was a huge gamble, after which many of us who voted 'remain' will have to pay.

One of the mistakes of the "remain" camp was to have previously failed and rejected politicians urging us to vote to stay in (Gordon Brown, John Major, Tony Blair, Neil Kinnock [and family]). Having rejected them once, the electorate doesn't take kindly to their re-appearing to tell us what to do.