Newsjack - Series 10 Page 20

Quote: AndyGilder @ 10th March 2014, 6:17 PM GMT

Another set of one-liners submitted.

Only found out yesterday that one of mine had been recorded but not broadcast last week, trying to find out which one it was.

If anyone was at the recording, they're in the Rejects thread in Critique if you wouldn't mind having a look?

Thanks

Andy, I think it was this one...
1. Coming up, the big debate on UKIP. Is it Farage as in homage, or Farage as in damage?

Which, of course, makes absolutely no sense.

Just sent off my one-liners - managed all 9 this week.

Good luck everyone.

Quote: LippyAlison @ 10th March 2014, 7:28 PM GMT

Andy, I think it was this one...
1. Coming up, the big debate on UKIP. Is it Farage as in homage, or Farage as in damage?

Thanks Alison, much appreciated. Made sense to me anyway...

Quote: AndyGilder @ 10th March 2014, 10:54 PM GMT

Thanks Alison, much appreciated. Made sense to me anyway...

I'm guessing it wouldn't make sense if you pronounce damage in a similar way to homage, rather than dam-idj and hom-arj.

Which is, of course, how they are pronounced in, you know, English. For them to sound different you have to arbitrarily assign a francophone pronunciation to homage and not damage.

Sorry; pedantic I know, but the joke relies on a difference in sound which doesn't exist.

Sound advice from Ponderer.

Well done Bonzo. I'm on 5 one-liners this week. Last week it was seven so I'm hoping this isn't a downward trend. If it is by episode 6 I'll be writing minus three sketches.

I'm looking forward to the next show - will be interesting to see if they've made any changes based on feedback of first show.

Good luck everyone!

Quote: Ponderer @ 10th March 2014, 11:24 PM GMT

Which is, of course, how they are pronounced in, you know, English. For them to sound different you have to arbitrarily assign a francophone pronunciation to homage and not damage.

Sorry; pedantic I know, but the joke relies on a difference in sound which doesn't exist.

Surely that depends on what accent you speak English in. Damage and Homage sound nothing alike to me!

Anyway good work on getting something in the recording.

Quote: StephenM @ 10th March 2014, 11:56 PM GMT

Surely that depends on what accent you speak English in. Damage and Homage sound nothing alike to me!

I can see how your damage/homage might sound different to mine. But the ending should sound the same, when said by the same person, whatever your accent.

But you're right, congrats to Andy on getting something recorded - and apologies for the pedantry.

Is homage sometimes pronounced like fromage?

Exactly - homage is like fromage to me and damage is more of an -idge ending.

I'm glad we've moved on from talking formatting this week!

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 11th March 2014, 12:58 AM GMT

Is homage sometimes pronounced like fromage?

Only as an affectation - this is not an accent thing. There is no phonic logic for a difference, nor an etymological one. Fromage is a use of a French word - so mirage would work too, probably because is has been co-opted too recently to have become Anglicised. I'd guess both damage and homage have travelled the same direction but earlier.

And don't get me started on formatting...

Not quite sure why this has got inside my head, I'm not normally grammar/pronunciation obsessed. I'm going to stop now. :$

Pretty sure you're wrong about every accent pronouncing the two words differently.

I think I say them in a similar way to RP, but I have heard other native English speakers say homage rhyming with the way I say damage. I wouldn't swear to it, but I suspect some Liverpudlians may pronounce the both with a -idj ending.

Quote: Badge @ 10th March 2014, 11:40 PM GMT

Sound advice from Ponderer.

Quite literally.

nb it's a clever joke, it would work in standup, certainly in a chat down the pub.

But it lacks a hard definitive punch, that any one liner on the radio seems to need.

And the pronounciation is a little ambiguos.