Newsjack - Series 10 Page 16

Well one to all who got onto the show, look forward to hearing it.

Congrats to all who made it on, listening now.

Jeez, they could sale those one liners a bit more.

The one-liners are very different to what I expected

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kvs8r <--credits

Well done to those who got something in. Especially difficult this week! It's certainly a very different show. If this one is typical then the oneliners are about 70:30 non-topical and there are also fewer topical sketches than there used to be. Which is fine, but it does beg the question why have a weekly deadline and why make it later for oneliners? Most of the oneliners could have been written at any time - I suspect some time on Tuesday or Wednesday :).

As ever with a new team though it may take time to bed in and this episode might not be typical. Any other views?

Well that was a very different beast...

Stylistically Romesh is very different to Jupp or Edwards and if they're going to get rid of the intros and have much quicker one liners than the old Jack Apps in order to make room for Romesh's own material then I'd be hoping for something a lot higher in quality. Don't get me wrong, I watched some of his stuff on YouTube beforehand and enjoyed it but imo it's not good or different enough to justify cutting back on the main bulk of public submissions.

As for the sketches I detected a distinct lack of satirical stuff, really no jokes at all about Putin seemed odd for a show that takes a satirical swipe at the news. Hopefully this won't be a regular thing.

They also seemed to lean towards characters with funny voices in the sketches, perhaps to make up for them being a mainstay of the old Jackapps.

Did I mention that I miss those little character comedies that the Jackapps provided because I really did.

Hopefully I've written this as a fan of the show and not because my rubbish one liners weren't used.

I wrote my McIlroy one liner on Friday, and I think there was only one that was topical that I wrote any later than that.

I'll continue trying to write 50/50 split on topical/non topical one liners for next week, just on the off chance they adjust the tone after feedback.

Does anyone know why Justin Edwards actually departed from NewsJack? I've just tried to garner some clues or see if he was doing something else on Twitter but he appears to have deleted his account...

Although googling did lead me to the revelation that he's married to Lucy Porter!

Quote: Winger @ 6th March 2014, 11:33 PM GMT

Does anyone know why Justin Edwards actually departed from NewsJack? I've just tried to garner some clues or see if he was doing something else on Twitter but he appears to have deleted his account...

Although googling did lead me to the revelation that he's married to Lucy Porter!

He's doing this new show:

http://sohotheatre.com/whats-on/chat-show-roulette/

But I don't know if he left to do this or did this cos he had to leave.
Looks like he'd have time to do both.

Can I just ask if this is normal? I knew I had a one-liner on the show and although I tried very hard to listen and enjoy the other material I spent the whole time anxiously waiting for my joke to come on. Once it came on (right at the end) I could relax and enjoy the last 2 minutes of the show.

Quote: mikemcc @ 6th March 2014, 11:41 PM GMT

He's doing this new show:

http://sohotheatre.com/whats-on/chat-show-roulette/

But I don't know if he left to do this or did this cos he had to leave.
Looks like he'd have time to do both.

Oh right thanks, but I'm guessing that given that isn't on until June, it doesn't really explain his departure.

Lewis was underused I thought. The ladies seemed to get more airtime as well. The show has evolved over the years but this was a big jump. It seemed to lack a bit of class/intelligence. But let's not forget it's the first show.

I felt the same and mine was the very last sketch. Its on iPlayer though so I look forward to hearing it all

I enjoyed the Liam Nelson sketch(s)

Quote: Mike Yeoman @ 6th March 2014, 11:42 PM GMT

Can I just ask if this is normal? I knew I had a one-liner on the show and although I tried very hard to listen and enjoy the other material I spent the whole time anxiously waiting for my joke to come on. Once it came on (right at the end) I could relax and enjoy the last 2 minutes of the show.

Yeah, that's really normal. Once I had a joke on at the start then relaxed but then another surprise joke at the end and almost had a fit...