Vicious - Series 1 Page 6

Quote: Shandonbelle @ April 29 2013, 10:52 PM BST

Channel snobs :P

Yes. But no. Amazing that it's on ITV because ITV haven't had a sitcom in five years. They are doing comedy again.

They choose their comeback well then with this one.

I enjoyed it, though to be honest it wasn't anything like as sharp or fresh as I was hoping or expecting from reviews. Loved the performances though, and set really captured the air of ageing theatrical luvvies.

More simple drivel for the simple minded.

Simple jokes in the script with no depth behind any of the comedy - my nan could write this - 'I'm quite certain I'm old enough to be your father' and then the hilarious quip back 'yes, I'm quite certain'- so inventive.

Rape jokes that you've heard before and seemed out of place anyway.

Tired and lazy like it was put together in a night.

Tiresome effect of one character saying something to himself in response to the others boasting - weak comedy.

Jokes that old people don't know about younger things like Zac Efron - not funny.

The Job Lot was much stronger and more intelligent - it actually had witty observations of that world, and although exaggerated, the point was well made and recognisable.

Quote: Frantically @ April 29 2013, 11:19 PM BST

I enjoyed it, though to be honest it wasn't anything like as sharp or fresh as I was hoping or expecting from reviews. Loved the performances though, and set really captured the air of ageing theatrical luvvies.

Telephone spotters will enjoy the grey pushbutton 700 series phone in the sitting room, which is quite a rarity, although the cream wall-mounted dial version in the kitchen is more retro.

Quote: curtis patrick @ April 29 2013, 11:27 PM BST

Simple jokes in the script with no depth behind any of the comedy - my nan could write this - 'I'm quite certain I'm old enough to be your father' and then the hilarious quip back 'yes, I'm quite certain'- so inventive.

Rape jokes that you've heard before and seemed out of place anyway.

Tired and lazy like it was put together in a night.

Tiresome effect of one character saying something to himself in response to the others boasting - weak comedy.

Jokes that old people don't know about younger things like Zac Efron - not funny.

The Job Lot was much stronger and more intelligent - it actually had witty observations of that world, and although exaggerated, the point was well made and recognisable.

Zac who?

I've been there.

Quote: Chappers @ April 29 2013, 10:44 PM BST

She just played the Miss Jones part again. Didn't we have enough of that in the 70s?

No I can never have enough of Rising Damp

Quote: zooo @ April 29 2013, 9:56 PM BST

Not canned, live audience.

Whose laughter is recorded, edited, manipulated, amplified, and reinserted in different places. But not canned.

Without exaggeration, that was one of the worst television viewings I've ever had. The only reason I kept it on was because with such a 'stellar' cast I was kind of hoping it would suddenly click and start being funny. The only way I could describe it would be a low rung theatre troupe attempting to do a stage production of an unknown sitcom. At no point did it feel like a sitcom, it just felt like a stage show that was being filmed. That goes for everything, the performances, the sets, the writing... I almost expected them to start nudge-nudge wink-winking to the camera at some points. Very odd, and not in a good way.

Quote: curtis patrick @ April 29 2013, 11:27 PM BST

None taken.

Quote: Pingl @ April 29 2013, 11:35 PM BST

Zac who?

Oh darling, what are you like? You're so out of touch, har har it's rather amusing.

The script was too frail a thing to bear the weight of those performances.

Quote: zooo @ April 29 2013, 11:42 PM BST

None taken.

I know you jest but in all fairness - I don't mean to offend, the show just annoyed me so perhaps 'simple minded' wasn't the right thing to say - in review - I believe that was simple comedy, so those that enjoyed it like simple comedy.

Or they enjoy lots of different types of comedy! ;)