Vicious - Series 1 Page 10

I don't think one needs to be a comedy snob to observe that the cast had a *lot* of work to do to cover up the glaring holes in the script. The "straight man" character could have been replaced by a cardboard cutout that would have at least had a more plausible reason for being there, most of the put-downs were older than the senior cast members and the plot was essentially nonexistent. On script alone this would be in the bottom 10% of Sitcom Trials submissions.

Since the cast is good, I'm almost tempted to watch next week to see if it gets better with a location change, but I have a feeling it's going to be "Two old queens trade quips whilst a baffled young man with no reason for being there looks on.... in a shop"

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ April 30 2013, 8:35 PM BST

Really? McKellen's Estragon was pretty much definitive, and he and Patrick Stewart are taking Godot to Broadway later this year.

Not to mention large parts in two upcoming giant movies some of you may be aware of. Something about mutants and...is it... Hobbit's..? I think he's doing okay.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 1 2013, 9:04 AM BST

Not to mention large parts in two upcoming giant movies some of you may be aware of. Something about mutants and...is it... Hobbit's..? I think he's doing okay.

Indeed. Perhaps my reference to Hobbits ("motion pictures made by a colonial chappie based on some penny dreadful novels by a man from Birmingham, would you believe") was too oblique. But I'd forgotten there's another X-Men film in the offing.

My point is essentially this: just because an actor is of a certain calibre doesn't mean every project they are involved with is automatically quality. Or maybe you're aware of an actor or actress who has never made a bad film or TV show? Who has never done a project just for the money? Or for purely egotistical reasons?

Nicholas Cage is the prime example for what you just described.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ May 1 2013, 9:54 AM BST

Nicholas Cage is the prime example for what you just described.

Nic Cage in Vicious would be worth watching.

Talk about overacting.

Quote: chipolata @ May 1 2013, 9:48 AM BST

My point is essentially this: just because an actor is of a certain calibre doesn't mean every project they are involved with is automatically quality. Or maybe you're aware of an actor or actress who has never made a bad film or TV show? Who has never done a project just for the money? Or for purely egotistical reasons?

You're probably right, it's just that I think Vicious is at the lower end of plausibility for this. McKellen, in particular, is a lynchpin of two major franchises, and although you could recast Gandalf (by saying "oh, it's a prequel, we want a younger actor") and take X-Men somewhere different, in reality he would be able to drive a very hard bargain indeed for his appearance in either, never mind both. If he didn't make enough money to allow him to live out his days with a plentiful supply of luxury out of the three parts of LotR and however many X-Men films he's been in, then his agent is incompetent, and that he's now in a bunch more should make him an extremely rich man indeed. He is, for example, top of the billing for The Hobbit.

By comparison, the fee for six parts of studio sitcom on ITV is probably hardly worth writing the invoice for, and although he gets top billing, people are hardly camping out overnight to see it, which is what will happen each December as the Hobbit episodes are released. I think he thought it would be fun.

What struck me about reading interviews with both Jacobi and McKellan is how aware they are of their age and how they're on the last lap of life. I would argue that a sitcom like this appealed to both men because it gave them centre stage on prime time television, something neither will get many more chances at. Arguably it also offered them a chance to reach an audience significantly different from theatre goers. And McKellan may well be a significant part of two massive franchises, but it was still probably nice not to share the screen with CGI trolls or blue shapeshifters.

A very good article for both lovers and haters, but particularly hating writers, from James Cary: http://sitcomgeek.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/how-did-this-rubbish-get-on-my-tv.html

Quote: chipolata @ May 1 2013, 1:13 PM BST

What struck me about reading interviews with both Jacobi and McKellan is how aware they are of their age and how they're on the last lap of life. I would argue that a sitcom like this appealed to both men because it gave them centre stage on prime time television, something neither will get many more chances at. Arguably it also offered them a chance to reach an audience significantly different from theatre goers. And McKellan may well be a significant part of two massive franchises, but it was still probably nice not to share the screen with CGI trolls or blue shapeshifters.

The Sitcom format is essential to the British entertainment culture I understand (correct me if I'm wrong). So in this stage of their career they have nothing to prove or to lose anymore...they received respect and awards (and fullfillment) in the so called "serious" field. Maybe they wanted to do this now because it's the last thing they're lacking in their CV's. Like a footballer from...let's say Birmingham...that has played for ManU, Barca, Real finally gets to play for his beloved hometown club in the autumn of his career. Maybe an affair of the heart.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ May 1 2013, 9:09 AM BST

Indeed. Perhaps my reference to Hobbits ("motion pictures made by a colonial chappie based on some penny dreadful novels by a man from Birmingham, would you believe") was too oblique. But I'd forgotten there's another X-Men film in the offing.

Not quite the same scale, I'll grant you, but everyone seems to have forgotten that Jacobi was the lead in the most-watched weekday drama of 2012 as well...

I liked it, I HATE ITV but I liked it, know a few older people like them, found it very funny and a nice pleasant watch.

So did I David. I'm not interested in - if it's the actors swansong or dated or doesn't fit etc.
I enjoyed it as it was.
I liked the 'trying to find out if the boy was gay or straight' the idea that they had been together for over 40 years but he daren't tell his mother. And Miss Jones being a randy old cow.