Vicious - Series 1

I like the idea of this, but hope it doesn't turn out to be too ITV trashy.

With a cast like this it should be good.

Glad to see loads of excitement for this on here, should be a huge hit Angelic

Ha!
It does sound good. It also has the little Misfits fellow in it.

I've never seen that lol

The people who have been to first two tapings say it's very funny. Fingers crossed.

Quote: David Carmon @ February 7 2013, 1:51 AM GMT

I like the idea of this, but hope it doesn't turn out to be too ITV trashy.

With a cast like this it should be good.

I like the idea and the cast AND the fact that ITV are doing it. I think I know what you mean about ITV's reputation in sitcoms, but I don't think 'trashy' is fair. Populist in style, yes, I suppose down market would be a fair label, but 'trashy' I've never thought about ITV's sitcoms in general. It all depends what sitcoms you refer to and I could name trashy BBC sitcoms. Several.

Good to see another ITV mainstream sitcom appear, however it's going to play. Been a bit of a wait!

Cracking title, btw. A good start at least.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 10 2013, 12:02 PM GMT

I like the idea and the cast AND the fact that ITV are doing it. I think I know what you mean about ITV's reputation in sitcoms, but I don't think 'trashy' is fair. Populist in style, yes, I suppose down market would be a fair label, but 'trashy' I've never thought about ITV's sitcoms in general. It all depends what sitcoms you refer to and I could name trashy BBC sitcoms. Several.

Good to see another ITV mainstream sitcom appear, however it's going to play. Been a bit of a wait!

Cracking title, btw. A good start at least.

I think almost everything on ITV is trashy tack, Dancing On Ice, I'm A Celeb, This Morning, Lorraine, Coronation Street. ITV are all about self promotion and money first, the dramas are see through and the sitcoms are flat. Even the news is sensationalised to f**kingdom to satisfy the proles of life.

I just hope they don't waste a potentially great sitcom.

Blimey, well that's your view but it's the sort of blinkered one that gives the BBC and their dedicated fans the aura of elitist snobs they've often had. Is Dancing On Ice anymore trashy than Strictly Come Dancing, which started the trend? Is Coronation Street any more trashy than EastEnders??

On the sitcom front, Two Pints Of Lager, Coming Of Age, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Mrs. Brown's Boys, and quite a few others could be labelled 'trashy'. Plus a host of recent sitcom flops in The Persuasionists, Lab Rats, We Are Klang, Big Top which the BBC themselves pulled immediately for being rubbish. Which is trash.

They are often different types of show I agree, but what's the point of making BBC like shows when you are a competitor with your own brand to forge? None. ITV have a populist identity and a remit which they will not change but that hasn't stopped them making the best comedy dramas like Minder and Auf Wiedersen Pet or the best police drama in The Sweeney or best war documantary in The World At War. There's plenty of class in ITV's output, especially from the past.

Of course Vicious will be another sitcom with a broad strain of humour and have an advert break, it will be another ITV sitcom! It will be watched by common people, David, though not exclusively. By your statement that means you are doomed to hate it already, even though it might be very good or funny, like Rising Damp, Men Behaving Badly and one or two others.

You both have good points. ITV is not what it was, partly due to the erosion of the regional model IMO, and their programming in recent years has descended into cheap here-and-now populist trash rather than entertaining, lovingly produced populist fayre. Rather than making television that's accessible to their audience they've been making lowest common denominator television that panders to and all too often stars their audience.

My fingers are crossed that Vicious will mark the start of a resurgence in the great ITV sitcom. God knows the BBC need some competition.

Bloody hell just read the guide that looks awesome.
I just hope thye've got money left over for a semi decent script

Well I think we can rely on the acting being good, or very hammy, or both. This is the type of thing that's been on at the theatre quite often, so I'm expecting a bold OTT type sitcom in the mould of Never The Twain. No bad thing in my book, but it will irritate some viewers for sure. Maybe having the woman from ITV's best sitcom in it will bring ITV some luck again on the sitcom front, for me she was a major part of Rising Damp's success. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Quote: David Carmon @ February 10 2013, 9:15 PM GMT

I think almost everything on ITV is trashy tack, Dancing On Ice, I'm A Celeb, This Morning, Lorraine, Coronation Street. ITV are all about self promotion and money first, the dramas are see through and the sitcoms are flat. Even the news is sensationalised to f**kingdom to satisfy the proles of life.

I just hope they don't waste a potentially great sitcom.

That's a bit harsh on Lorraine.

I would think with the cast it will be clever and funny without being piss-taking.

Lorraine's an annoying wench who I would love to happy slap 2006 style. Everything's fabulous and fantastic, she has as much depth as Victoria Beckham's waist.

I will keep an open mind with this one.

Going to see a taping of this tomorrow. I've heard the first two were very funny.

Watched the the finale of this being taped on the South Bank last night. Whip smart writing and killer performances from the whole cast, particularly McKellen and Frances De La Tour. The crowd went absolutely mental for it. I expect by their choice of American writer and internationally acclaimed cast that ITV is hoping for a crossover hit, and on the strength of what I saw last night I reckon they might just have it.