Vicious - Series 1 Page 11

Just watched this again, and found it funnier than the first time, Marcia Warren was hilarious, I love that bit where she falls asleep with her eyes open and says that's troubling.

It was OK, the script was pretty poor but the ridiculous overacting compensated for it.

Will give it another go.

I rather enjoyed it, it could have been better but I will be tuning in next week

Saw this last night. Wasn't impressed. A bog standard script with a couple of luvvies hamming it up.

Felt manufactured too. As if some executives had seen the success of Miranda and Mrs Brown's Boys and decided retro was the future. In that way it's as depressing as the welter of second-rate cringe-coms that followed on from the success of THe Office. As with those, there wasn't an original bone in its body.

Agree mainly except that it's ITV's first sitcom in 5 years so I find it hard to be too judgemental, and it was ep 1 so it might get better (but they usually don't). The other thing here is it will probably please one section of viewers much more than most general public viewers. So it sort of does serve a useful purpose even if it won't win awards, which was a clever idea from ITV to start with something like this.

Quote: chipolata @ May 3 2013, 10:10 AM BST

As with those, there wasn't an original bone in its body.

Does there have to be? There's a lot of symphonies with four movements, each in roughly sonata form, spanning several hundred years, but I think it's still OK to think that some of the later ones were quite good, isn't it?

Watched it three times and it's stood up each time. It just makes me laugh, a lot. It has elements I've criticised other shows for having (shouting, overacting, obvious gags) but it's being played with such phenomenal skill and natural charm, I'm unable to resist. The cast certainly add an enormous amount to the overall quality. Not that the script is bad, a couple of limp one liners aside, some of the gags are wonderful and surprising. The curtain/daylight joke had me in stitches.

I've seen a lot of comments in reviews about this being a 70s throwback which doesn't fit. It looks to me far more like a remake of a typical American 90s sitcom; exterior establishing shots, openly gay characters, heavy reliance on bitchy dialogue.

As for it resembling Rising Damp, I don't see it - unless you count Miss Jones. The flat looks nothing like as grotty as Rigsby's house.

A surprising delight.

Oh, as for the rape joke. I didn't consider it offensive. It wasn't saying anything controversial on the subject and the joke came from character to show them as idiotic and delusional.

I wasn't sure what to make of this. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I liked it, but I didn't hate it either! There were a few lines which made me smile, and by the end I was beginning to take a bit of an interest in the characters, so I guess I will give tonight's episode a go before I decide whether to continue with the series!

Loving this. There are a few ropey bits, but they only serve toadd to the programme's ramshackle and stagey charm. Relentlessly joyous and good-natured. Lots of laughs.

Watched the first half of ep 2. Even worse than Ep1. Not a single funny line. At least the last episode it looked like McKellen and Jacobi were having fun. This episode it looks like they have realised just how poor the script is. They look as tired as the words they are speaking sound.

Really sorry, but this is unfunny tripe. As funny and original as the Test Card used to be.

Thank God I can turn over. Which I have done.

Another great episode. A few ropey bits but on the whole a great laugh!

It was ok. My favourite bits were the poking of the old dog and calling the customer a whore.

Ian McKellen behaves like an older version of Richie Richard.

Episode 2 was a big improvement. Really good.

"We never talked about vaginas in my day."
"I've never even seen mine!"

One assumes ITV hoped people couldn't be too critical of this abject rubbish for fear of being called homophobic?

Quote: Ringo @ May 6 2013, 9:48 PM BST

Episode 2 was a big improvement. Really good.

"We never talked about vaginas in my day."
"I've never even seen mine!"

That was my favourite line!