The Scotland Thread Page 2

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ November 8 2012, 10:48 PM GMT

fried dried pigs blood.

:D one food who's name has sensibly no relation to what it actually is, see the Scots and Irish are clever like that ;)

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ November 8 2012, 10:48 PM GMT

Who puts cake in a breakfast?

Only someone AWESOME.

On your Coco Pops it's fine
But not amongst the Eggs & the bacon & quadrilateral sausages

What about pancakes? They've even got cake in their name. Your argument has now unravelled.

Only Americans have Pancakes for breakfast
The rest of us have them once a year on a Tuesday in February

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ November 8 2012, 11:21 PM GMT

Only Americans have Pancakes for breakfast
The rest of us have them once a year on a Tuesday in February

What about those damn Frenchies and their crepes?

Still, the proper fry up is the best breakfast invention ever, when I hear mad tales about Pacific Asian types having fish head stew for their morning meal, it does fair turn my stomach.

You can't take no crepes from the French.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ November 8 2012, 10:42 PM GMT

I got a Scottish friend at work who has promised to make me some Scottish potato cakes I think she said, also some fruit bread stuff, can't remember the proper names...keewik?

Potato scones are utterly delicious. Best fried but you can also eat them cold, spread with butter. Not sure which kind of fruit cake/bread it would be. There's certainly Black Bun which you eat at New Year - very fruity and encased in shortcrust pastry. There's a thing called White Pudding which is the shape of black pudding but has fruit through it and God knows what massive quantity of fat - people fry it up at breakfast but I've never known that it's a Scottish thing. The other breakfast thing is, of course, sliced or flat sausage ( correct name Lorne sausage).
When I'm in a non-Scottish hotel the one thing I do miss at breakfast is the potato scone.

Quote: keewik @ November 9 2012, 12:03 AM GMT

Potato scones are utterly delicious.

If they're the flat ones served with a fry up, I loooooooove them. Yum.

Isn't Lorne sausage always made from beef?

Not necessarily. Actually I don't know anybody who talks about LORNE sausage ( except to make jokes about anybody called Lauren). People talk about square sausage or slice sausage. If you wanted beef you'd ask for it specifically. However I haven't eaten sausage for years.

Euphemism ?

:O Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Go Andy!

Don't take your eye of the ball in the Semi.

My uninteresting Scotland facts.
I've been twice.
It rained.
I met and became friends with 2 4Laughs members.
My husband climbed Ben Nevis once, two of my sons climbed it twice.
Fort William hospital is quite small.