Not Going Out - Series 6 Page 12

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 20 2013, 11:35 AM BST

But you did like the earlier episodes? I'm asking that because I just ordered the Series 1-5 box set.

Yeah I did, but it seems too desperate now, and I miss Tim's ying to Lee's Yang. Plus I can't stand Daisy. The earlier shows, especially those with Miranda Hart were much better.

Quote: Edwin @ April 20 2013, 7:22 AM BST

I honestly don't see how anyone could not like Not Going Out.

Ooooh, a gauntlet ;)!

It's as empty as a football. All the great sitcoms are rooted in truth. NGO is just a scattershot collection of gags I don't believe anyone would actually make in real life; and it's a situation which wouldn't exist. That girl wouldn't hang around with that guy.

I question the actors too, I'm afraid. Lee Mack just stands there and tells jokes in an unvarying manner; Sally Bretton, strangely for the female lead in a sitcom, seems to have no particular gift for comedy.

I like Katy Wix but wish she was in something better.

Sitcoms should be written by writers, not stand-ups. I'm certain writers the world over would agree with that.

Sorry, I could go on but don't wish to appear mean. It's run for quite a few years now and obviously many like it. I've never got a single moment's enjoyment out of it. I utterly detest it, and I am a MASSIVE sitcom fan.

Quote: Dene Kernohan @ April 20 2013, 12:41 PM BST

NGO is just a scattershot collection of gags...

...I question the actors too, I'm afraid. Lee Mack just stands there and tells jokes in an unvarying manner; Sally Bretton, strangely for the female lead in a sitcom, seems to have no particular gift for comedy.

Yes and yes. Still, I was enjoying the three episodes I've seen. Just very unemotional on the character level.

Sitcoms should be written by writers, not stand-ups. I'm certain writers the world over would agree with that.

SEINFELD. Some stand ups can write sitcom, too.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 20 2013, 12:45 PM BST

SEINFELD. Some stand ups can write sitcom, too.

Yup, but Seinfeld has great actors (Jason Alexander) and comedians (Michael Richards) as well in it....which I'm afraid NGO is lacking a bit*.
For me NGO has no real character in it. Just a bunch of people telling (good) jokes.

EDIT: * I really like Lee Mack for example in Would I Lie To You?. He's full of life in that show. But he seems to lose nearly all of his charisma if he has to play to a script.

If Tim Vine couldn't do it, why not just create a new 'mate' for Lee to hang out with

A new neighbour or something

Lee and just the two girls just feels empty

An old mate from school would be good. Somebody who has done so much more with his life than Lee.
To create conflict, this mate and Lucy could get along quite well.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ April 20 2013, 3:54 PM BST

An old mate from school would be good. Somebody who has done so much more with his life than Lee.
To create conflict, this mate and Lucy could get along quite well.

Maybe, a nice, laid back and a bit eccentric artist who's loved by everybody? Ross Noble could play him.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 20 2013, 4:37 PM BST

Maybe, a nice, laid back and a bit eccentric artist who's loved by everybody? Ross Noble could play him.

Yes I agree. An old mate would be a good character to replace Tim but apparently a new character is going to be introduced.

Sally Bretton, strangely for the female lead in a sitcom, seems to have no particular gift for comedy.

@Dene Kernohan,

I disagree. Although Lee Mack has most of the comic lines, Sally Bretton has her fair share of sarcastic comebacks, which I think she delivers perfectly well. And there is a spark / chemistry between the two of them, which there wasn't with the original object of Lee's affections in the first series - the American landlady (Kate, I think her name was).

When I heard that there was going to be a new series of this without Tim Vine, I was sceptical, to say the least, but I have to say that so far it has exceeded my expectations! OK, it's not as good as the previous few series, but it's not bad.

As for a new character to replace Tim....well, I will reserve judgment on that until I see what type of character they have seen fit to introduce!

However, I think the classic "will they / won't they" situation between Lee and Lucy will keep this show going for a couple more series at least! After all, it worked for Men Behaving Badly for long enough, didn't it?! :)

Just caught up with the first ep. A threadbare collection of not very funny one-liners in a tired old dreadfully predictable plot. The series always verged on being a one-liner factory but was usually saved by dashes of humanity and poignancy mainly courtesy of Tim Vine. Exit Tim Vine and you're left with essentially unpleasant characters in a one-liner factory. Okay, providing the one-liners are fresh, original, funny, enlightening, et al, but these aren't.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 20 2013, 11:35 AM BST

But you did like the earlier episodes? I'm asking that because I just ordered the Series 1-5 box set.

How Much?

The last episode was much better a fantastic effort. I am beginning to forget Tim.Best episode of the series.

Quote: G180e @ April 21 2013, 8:44 PM BST

How Much?

[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/31043188/Not-Going-Out-Series-1-5-Box-Set/Product.html]

Well worth the money, that box set. 30 episodes.