Laugh Track - Studio Sitcom Contest Page 14

Just a quickie. I have edited my script as I originally had a car in an outside location.

Does the above comment now mean I can add it back into the script or is a vehicle to large? I've never wrote for a 'studio' sitcom before so I am unsure as to where the limits are.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ March 14 2012, 6:21 PM GMT

Or you could post it on Friday 16th or Monday 19th or (risking it a bit) Tuesday 20th.

Thanks Mikey! Rolling eyes

No mate, we started late and were hoping to use as much available time as possible to sharpen it up (or try to make it funny!).
Might well be a bridge too far.
! Unless we make it an abridged version.

Quote: Tobysarse @ March 15 2012, 12:10 AM GMT

Just a quickie. I have edited my script as I originally had a car in an outside location.

Does the above comment now mean I can add it back into the script or is a vehicle to large? I've never wrote for a 'studio' sitcom before so I am unsure as to where the limits are.

Is the car *vital*? If it is, leave it in but, if you've managed to write it out to no detriment, it sounds like you don't need it.

Dan

I've just finished my script. I hope to post it sometime this weekend, Monday at the latest.

I've managed to work around the vehicle scene. It wasn't vital. I now have my script written and it all sits within two rooms.

If for example there are two groups of people, and one of the groups looks across to the other group, would I use 'Cut to' or can I just site it within my stage directions?

For example 'John and Bob look over to Bill and Ben who are both playing Twister'

Quote: garyd @ March 15 2012, 10:03 AM GMT

Thanks Mikey! Rolling eyes

No mate, we started late and were hoping to use as much available time as possible to sharpen it up (or try to make it funny!).
Might well be a bridge too far.
! Unless we make it an abridged version.

Ahhhh, I see. :)

Quote: Tobysarse @ March 15 2012, 6:07 PM GMT

I've managed to work around the vehicle scene. It wasn't vital. I now have my script written and it all sits within two rooms.

If for example there are two groups of people, and one of the groups looks across to the other group, would I use 'Cut to' or can I just site it within my stage directions?

For example 'John and Bob look over to Bill and Ben who are both playing Twister'

That's a good question. Personally, if I had characters interacting in some way between two rooms, I'd intercut the two rooms as one scene.
So it would be something in the lines of:

INT. ROOM 1/ROOM 2. DAY (INTERCUT)

In ROOM 1, JOHN and BOB look over to --

-- ROOM 2, where BILL and BEN play Twister.

Of course, other writers might do it differently.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 15 2012, 3:37 PM GMT

I've just finished my script. I hope to post it sometime this weekend, Monday at the latest.

Call us when you get home so we know you're okay.

So, my entry has been sent. It's the old waiting game now.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ March 16 2012, 7:46 PM GMT

So, my entry has been sent. It's the old waiting game now.

"The waiting game sucks, let's play hungry, hungry hippos!"

Okay, ain't gonna happen for us!

Too much tweaking needed, too little time.

The very best of luck to all of you who manage to submit.

Look forward to hearing who from here wins.

Script and outline done and in the envelope ready to go. Been a bit of a rush job. Have used a beefed up version of a script I submitted initially to Sitcom Trials (10 min) and then adapted for Sitcom Mission (15 min). Probably a fair bit shy of the 30 minute mark, but I wanted to get something in for this competition. Anyone else had a crack at the same 3 comps?

Cheers Mikey.

I have just printed it off but I won't hold my breathe. Now wheres that next competition, my fingers can't stop.

Got ours finished finally. It really was a struggle this weekend though - be lucky to get anything more than one-liners in for NEwsjack.

I think I'll send it Special Delivery - first class doesn't mean what it used to and I'm not going to fail on this one cos of the crappy postal service. I'll let the writing do that for me thank you very much

I've posted mine too.

Ah, I'd forgotten how much I hate the royal mail website. Last year I ended up posting my entry to "Mr Laughing Stock Competition".

Ummm, I've literally just found out about this in the last hour - I am trying the impossible mission of having the first draft written by midnight leaving me all of tomorrow for re-writes then I will hand drop it sometime tomorrow evening. Fortunately I have enough base material to pull something together. Whether it is any good is something else