Laugh Track - Studio Sitcom Contest Page 10

Quote: SLRees @ February 11 2012, 4:09 PM GMT

This is exactly what I am saying - it's very contradictory. I am capable of writing in any format, no issue. However, it's a BBC competition, it's a studio format so should be in the studio BBC format which they want and it should be 50-60 pages. If, however, it was a single camera script then 30-40 pages would be ideal for that script template.

I'll stick to what I know. 50-60 pages it is!

Maybe if you start a new page every time you start a new scene, otherwise, using that format, you shouldn't come in at sixty pages for a half hour script. I have one open right now using that format, half hour, 34 pages, 5000-ish words.

At the moment I'm using Celtx and the screenplay format. I used that last year and it does get closer to the page-per-minute thing than the BBC Script Smart.

Might change to Script Smart if that's what they want, but I like to write the ol' Screenplay style. They were fine with it last year.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 11 2012, 4:25 PM GMT

Maybe if you start a new page every time you start a new scene, otherwise, using that format, you shouldn't come in at sixty pages for a half hour script. I have one open right now using that format, half hour, 34 pages, 5000-ish words.

Well, ten hours later and first draft script complete: word count is now 5,036, with a BBC Sitcom template and 52 pages (inc. front page) I reckon that's 30 minutes worth of material. And yes a new page for a new scene should always be done. They should know this so it must be a typing error - you only have to read the example PDF scripts of studio scripts in BBC sitcom format to see how many pages they contain so I'm about right.

Quote: SLRees @ February 11 2012, 10:32 PM GMT

And yes a new page for a new scene should always be done.

To be honest I never have, it just annoys me to look at, and no production company has ever requested it when I've worked with them. But yeah, I know that's what they say to do. I often have so many short scenes in my scripts it would end up being 150 pages long.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 11 2012, 10:53 PM GMT

To be honest I never have, it just annoys me to look at, and no production company has ever requested it when I've worked with them. But yeah, I know that's what they say to do. I often have so many short scenes in my scripts it would end up being 150 pages long.

Me neither, and never been requested by a prod co. Especially a waste of a tree when we have to bloody post submissions!

You won't be penalised for what format you use, unless it is one you have just made up yourself. I've never used that BBC taped-sitcom layout, and I've never been criticised for not using the correct format - if the actual content is good then they don't care. :)

I thought you only did a new page for each new scene when it was an actual production/shooting script?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this . . . are the majority of the people here British, live in London, or just original sitcom creators?
Thanks.
Chiller Author www.chillerbooks.com

Quote: Chiller Author @ February 21 2012, 4:36 PM GMT

Hello everyone, I'm new to this . . . are the majority of the people here British, live in London, or just original sitcom creators?
Thanks.
Chiller Author www.chillerbooks.com

Assuming you are talking about the British Comedy Guide forum, rather than just this Laugh Track Contest:

Mostly British, some USA, Some Aus.
Some London, many elsewhere.
Some try to write sitcoms, others just watch.
Tiny number succeed in creating sitcoms.
A few more succeed in other forms of comedy.

Good deal. Was just wondering. Anyone here create their own original sitcom?

Anthony T. Ogunware www.chillerbooks.com

Two more judges have been announced: Daniel Kaluuya and John Finnemore.

Ha, I was about to post that.

More people to impress! I shall fail miserably but have fun doing it.

Only the shortlisted entries (up to 25) will be judged by the celeb judges.

A team of BBC script readers will read all entries and decide on a shortlist.

Will they be only accepting British Type (Mr. Bean, etc...) scripts, or will this be scripts from all genres?

Anyone here definitely entering?

Author of Chiller Books www.chillerbooks.com www.zazzle.com/ktsa+gifts

They're looking for sitcoms that are mainly recorded in front of a studio audience.

Just noticed you're from the US. I'm not sure if they're accepting overseas entries. You'll need to ask them.