Laugh Track - Studio Sitcom Contest Page 9

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 8 2012, 5:07 PM GMT

Flawless victory! Stott is the winner!

But I haven't presented my rebussell!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 8 2012, 3:46 PM GMT

I just mean that as an example it's extra odd; not only is it non-studio, but it's not a strictly set script, supposedly.

I don't think it's that odd.

TV Comedy audiences tend to come in the following sizes:

One million: Stewart Lee, Peep Show

Five million: Almost anything that gets on BBC ONE

Ten million: Comedy classics (after a repeat or two)

Twenty million: Only Fools and Horses

So the inclusion of 'Outnumbered' is just a way of saying "We aren't looking for the next Peep Show and we aren't expecting another OFAH, to be honest"

Yeah, it's just a case of writing what you feel is funny, what comes from within.

As has been mentioned, Taylor as a diverse track record when it comes to bringing stuff to the screen and we all know that French has performed and written a lot of different things. Rowland? I have no idea but judging by BBC's Sitcoms from new writers these last 2 years, I'm guessing there's no one genre/focus.

Safe hands that aren't looking for one particular demographic. Something that can be accessed by all really.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 8 2012, 9:03 AM GMT

Did you not plan it out first?

I got to what I thought would be the end in the middle! As I was writing, it was all segueing beautifully so I thought I'd let it be as it's always nice to have that sense of things unravelling naturally. But have now adjusted and worked out the rest, so should be able to get to 30 pages without grumpily suspecting it's filler

Hi folks,

Now what's going on with this competition with regards pages/minutes? If you follow a BBC layout for the studio you will be, for a 30-minute sitcom, writing roughly 50-60 pages. So for this competition, if you write more than 30 pages it will be rejected? They do state it's 30 minutes/pages. Is anyone else confused, or is it quite clear?

Please let me know somebody, I'm just sitting down to draw up a treatment.

Many thanks - and good luck to those writing today, may you procrastinate little.

Stephen

Quote: SLRees @ February 11 2012, 11:49 AM GMT

If you follow a BBC layout for the studio you will be, for a 30-minute sitcom, writing roughly 50-60 pages..

Where are you looking at their layout?

If anyone desperately needs to look at layout then they have plenty of scripts and example layoutsin the Writersroom. But really, just make the script good, forget worrying about that stuff.

:) I never look at sample scripts, it's stressful enough worrying about your own without getting into analysing every stylistic nuance and choice of comma of someone elses

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/bbctapedsitcom.pdf

Not looking!!

Quote: AJGO @ February 11 2012, 1:10 PM GMT

Not looking!!

It's not a script, it's just a layout template.

I'll have a look at that then. I don't like the centre page one tho at all, is that the screenplay one, think it is. Na, much prefer the full page stage type layout, I just know where I am with amount I've done and how much characters have said, much more with that one. The centre page one strikes me as just wanting to look different and more technical with no great extra benefits. But each to their own of course.

My problem with the layout is that that the main Laugh Track pages says that script is approximately 1 page per minute long. However, if you use the standard BBC Taped Sitcom format layout (which I am using), there's no way a 30 minute long should would be 30 pages long in that format. I'd say that it is more like half a minute per page, making a 30 minute script 60 pages long.

If they want 30 pages then give them 30 pages. It will be their problem when it comes to filming!

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 11 2012, 2:32 PM GMT

My problem with the layout is that that the main Laugh Track pages says that script is approximately 1 page per minute long. However, if you use the standard BBC Taped Sitcom format layout (which I am using), there's no way a 30 minute long should would be 30 pages long in that format. I'd say that it is more like half a minute per page, making a 30 minute script 60 pages long.

This is exactly what I am saying - it's very contradictory. I am capable of writing in any format, no issue. However, it's a BBC competition, it's a studio format so should be in the studio BBC format which they want and it should be 50-60 pages. If, however, it was a single camera script then 30-40 pages would be ideal for that script template.

I'll stick to what I know. 50-60 pages it is!