Laugh Track - Studio Sitcom Contest Page 19

Michael Jacob: This is a long shot, but what the hell... Since I and Ian Wolfe made it to the second stage, maybe you recollect our scripts? My sitcom was called "On Fire" and the episode was "Mystical Cheetah". If you do remember it, would it be possible to wring feedback out of you?

Ian Wolfe: What was your script called?

btw, Evan Rubivellian is not my real name.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ April 10 2012, 7:34 PM BST

Ian Wolfe: What was your script called?

My script was called "Conventional", and my pen surname is spelt "Wolf".

Nice try, 'Evan Rubivellian', but I honestly couldn't give any meaningful feedback on most of the scripts I read, because I wasn't reading in the light of potential notes. In competitions, reading is more about whether a script works, whether one script feels better than another, or whether the writer needs to learn more skills but still has a fresh, exciting voice. So it's searching for excitement rather than undertaking an analysis of why the excitement isn't there and how it might be introduced.

My entry was about a team of research scientists in the jungle - one of the situations that Michael Jacobs directly references in his blog as something not to bother with! Still, it made the second read-through stage so can't have been all that bad...

Seeing as the writersroom doesn't give much feedback, I was wondering whether anyone else who made it through the first sift fancied swapping scripts and offering some mutual constructive feedback...?

If anyone who made it through to that second sift fancies getting in touch please feel free to PM me!

Thanks

And my apologies go to Micheal Jacobs for the wanton misspelling of his name...

The first episode of 'Hart' should be lining their bin by the end of March....[/quote]
hahahahaahaha

And further apologies yet again to Micheal Jacob for the repeatedly wanton misspelling of his name...

Michael Jacob: So, reading between the lines, my script was just too excellent for the readers to believe that it was written by an amateur.

Seriously, though, thanks for responding, Michael, and I fully appreciate why you can't give feedback. I'm just clutching at any available straws right now!

Quote: Bleurgh @ April 10 2012, 9:26 PM BST

And further apologies yet again to Micheal Jacob for the repeatedly wanton misspelling of his name...

Forgiven.

Mine was the script set in the public toilets called Death Swallow Me Whole Micheal. Without having to give any specific feedback, based on any impression you may recall would it be worth me ever bothering again? I didn't make it through the 1st sift, so feel free to say no Angry

Bleurgh: I don't see why setting the sitcom in the jungle is such a no-no. "It Ain't Half Hot, Mum" was set in India and Burma.

We are told to avoid locations that haven't been done before because they don't work, but we're also told to avoid locations that have been done before they're not original.

It's political correctness gone mad!

A sitcom can be set anywhere, but there must be reasons why more exotic settings are rarely if ever seen, or even less exotic settings like allotments or betting shops or public lavatories. I'd say the main reason is that there have been many shows like this written over the years but few if any have been commissioned because the setting is either too dominant and has to be addressed each week, or because the setting is too limiting, or because few viewers would want to spend in that setting. Shows are about people rather than setting.

I heard one of my fellow readers mention Death Swallow Me Whole, but I didn't read it, I'm afraid.

Hello. Just wondering if anyone knows whether all the emails have been sent out as we haven't heard anything either way. We had a problem getting our confirmation email through too so I thought I'd best check

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ April 11 2012, 9:46 AM BST

A sitcom can be set anywhere, but there must be reasons why more exotic settings are rarely if ever seen, or even less exotic settings like allotments or betting shops or public lavatories.

Mine was set in an even less exotic setting than a public lavatory - it was in Middlesbrough.

Quote: Curtis Threadgold @ April 11 2012, 1:30 PM BST

Hello. Just wondering if anyone knows whether all the emails have been sent out as we haven't heard anything either way. We had a problem getting our confirmation email through too so I thought I'd best check

You're not alone. I've not had an e-mail from them yet, and like you had to chase them for a confirmation of receipt initially. Not sure whether no news is good news...won't start counting my chickens just yet. Would be interesting to know whether anyone on here has had an e-mail saying they'd made it to the next stage

Looks like there have been a few replies sent out, both positive and negative. I imagine there's quite a lot to do and if there's more than one of us that haven't got ours yet, prob best not worry I guess. Fingers crossed and good luck