Laugh Track - Studio Sitcom Contest Page 16

I'm not peeved with the Beeb - yet. I'm bloody hacked off with the Post Office. Think about it. If they didn't deliver all that's going to happen is I'll get my £5.90 back. I don't get the opportunity for my script to be declared officially useless by Dawn French.

I've not had a confirmation e-mail either as yet. I did a guaranteed tuesday delivery, so I'm pretty sure I'm in the mix. As an earlier post mentioned hand delivering a script and not having received a confirmation I wouldn't be too worried at this stage. By the sounds of it they've got 'previous' when it comes to this sort of thing.

On the BBC twitter page it says to contact them if you haven't received your email confirmation by now.

Sent my entry in well in advance but not received an acknowledgement email, emailed them but had no reply. Doesn't sound good to me Huh?

Quote: evan rubivellian @ March 28 2012, 11:59 AM BST

On the BBC twitter page it says to contact them if you haven't received your email confirmation by now.

I'm probably being dense but I can't find the tweet despite having the feed bookmarked, can't find an email address on the laugh track pages. But then I can't find the laugh track pages either.

I didn't get a confirmation e-mail, but I checked the Twitter feed, and they suggest e-mailing writersroom@bbc.co.uk. I did this, and within about 15 minutes I got a reply saying they HAD received my script!

And confirmation from the BBC - that the post office have stuffed up. (Riley stomps off chewing beard.)

Hi everyone,
I submitted my script in time, which I know thanks to a confirmation of the post office. Today I got my script sent back with a note, stating that since I am Dutch it is not allowed to enter the competition. I checked the terms and conditions a several times, and it stated that to enter you must have 'the right to work, live and travel' in the UK. I think I also quoted this in one of my posts on this forum. When I looked on to the website today, a different terms and conditions than the one on the original page were published. so;

does anyone have a downloaded version of the old terms and conditions, that I can look in to?

and does anyone know whether there is a competition for sitcoms that I could enter a a Dutch person?? Because the BBC apparently only is accessible for people from the UK or Eire.

thanks

BBC writersroom (and all associated opportunities) closed doors to overseas writers a while back. This is because they want to be able to nuture writers who are easily accessible to them, i.e. living in the same country.

I do believe the T&Cs said "writers can be from overseas, but must live and work in the UK."
At least it does in the Script Room terms.

If it didn't in the Laugh Track terms, then they might have accidentally copied and pasted the old terms into the page.

Actually Whynotdutch the t and cs don't say quite what you claim. It states "You must be a UK resident (including Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) or a resident of the Republic of Ireland". This is not the same as having the right to live and work etc. It also says the BBC's decision is final as to who is eligible.
Tough admittedly, but then there are a lot of us who are UK passport holders excluded from entering a large number of BBC opportunities because we're not resident in Wales, Scotland or the 'North'. Or we're too old or too white...

T and cs below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/about/laugh-track-terms-and-conditions-2012

Actually KL Riley, the guy is right. The original terms and conditions for the Laugh Track competition stated that you had to have the right to work and live in the UK, i.e. any european resident would be eligible. At some point the BBC must have changed the conditions to the ones that are currently there.

They have changed it, if you check the Google Cache-ed version: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xOLv2h1V8wQJ:www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/about/laugh-track-terms-and-conditions-2012+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Quote: Google Cached Terms and Conditions" date="before

Entry rules and regulations:

1. To be eligible to enter you must meet the following criteria:

- You must be 18 or over as at 21st March 2012.
- You must not previously have had a network commission for narrative TV or radio comedy (for any broadcaster).
- You must be a UK resident or have the right to live and work in the UK throughout 2012 (including Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) or a resident of the Republic of Ireland.
- You must not be a BBC employee or any person connected to the scheme or their close relative.
Proof of age, identity and eligibility may be requested. The BBC's decision as to the eligibility of individual entrants will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.

Quote: Current Terms and Conditions" date="after

1. To be eligible to enter you must meet the following criteria:

- You must be 18 or over as at 21st March 2012.

- You must not previously have had a network commission for narrative TV or radio comedy (for any broadcaster).
- You must be a UK resident (including Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) or a resident of the Republic of Ireland.
- You must not be a BBC employee or any person connected to the scheme or their close relative.
Proof of age, identity and eligibility may be requested. The BBC's decision as to the eligibility of individual entrants will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.

Right or wrong it's a bit naughty changing the terms and conditions afterwards!

Dan

Hi Evan, these are the t and cs on the website. And unlike the the details of the competition they are still live. I'm not saying they are right or its fair.

Hi KL Riley,

No one is disputing what the T and Cs are now. The fact is that they've been changed.

Whynotdutch sent his (or her) script in accordance with the original terms and, as swertyd has pointed out, it is unfair that the BBC change the rules after people have gone to the trouble of writing and entering the competition.

If I were you guys I'd be more worried that for the duration of the competition I wangled myself a job working the front desk of the comedy dept just so I could bin all your entries. Don't work hard, work smart, losers.