Laugh Track - Studio Sitcom Contest Page 17

Ha. Your cunning plan failed Bussell. I persuaded them to empty the bin and low and behold - there was my script!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/posts/Laugh-Track-Script-Sift

The latest about the script sift.

Interesting that they gave Miranda as an example of a studio sitcom, and then complain that the characters in many entries didn't have an air of authenticity! I think they're just being evil.

Pirate

Am I reading it wrong or are they holding up particular recurring situations, locations and characters (flatshares, pubs, cafes, 30-40 something women looking for love) as examples of mistakes?

I wish they wouldn't do that.

Quote: Frantically @ March 31 2012, 2:17 PM BST

Am I reading it wrong or are they holding up particular recurring situations, locations and characters (flatshares, pubs, cafes, 30-40 something women looking for love) as examples of mistakes?

I wish they wouldn't do that.

I hope not, because two of my main locations are in a pub and a tea house (which is related to a cafe). It's not a workplace sitcom, it's just where the characters mostly hang out.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 31 2012, 2:20 PM BST

I hope not, because two of my main locations are in a pub and a tea house (which is related to a cafe). It's not a workplace sitcom, it's just where the characters mostly hang out.

Nothing wrong with that at all Ian - which is why I ask. If something's badly written then it could have the most ingenious premise in the world and it'd still be crap. Whereas some fairly bland-sounding setups can yield fantastic sitcoms.

Quote: Frantically @ March 31 2012, 2:25 PM BST

Nothing wrong with that at all Ian - which is why I ask. If something's badly written then it could have the most ingenious premise in the world and it'd still be crap. Whereas some fairly bland-sounding setups can yield fantastic sitcoms.

Tell that to the BBC. The reason I used those locations was that my sitcom was semi-autobiographical and those are locations where actual events in my sitcom took place.

Reading between the lines I think they are looking for the next 'When the whistle blows'

In my view (just getting on top of my soap box now) the BBC are trying too hard to find the next best thing. You can't find the next best thing as it's organic, it's something which ONLY the viewing public can decide. What the BBC see as another 'ab fab' would not be iconic or great but another copy of similar characters. Comedy is not about the outrageous characters but the turmoil and conflicts that reside within that character - hopefully something we can all relate to or know of.

'The Royle Family' is a classic and iconic show - yet it is so ordinary and simple. So if they dismiss sitcoms set in a cafe which tells the story of ordinary people then they could be missing out on the show of the century! You don't hunt comedy, you nurture it!

I often get the feeling that what the BBC think of as funny these days is not what actually is funny. Is there a generation thing going on? Is there a North/South divide going on? Even a midlands thing? It concerns me that I know little about those people who read my scripts and they judge me on a single piece. So how do THEY know what is funny or what makes a good script? Have they been in a position whereby they have had a series commissioned or are they just doing a job where they get bored of reading and go on facebook after each page chatting to mates and looking forward to home time? - makes me wonder.

And on another note - did anyone fill in the equal opportunities sheet? Surely if we were all taken as equals we wouldn't need to fill in a sheet that says what we are. If the script if funny then that's all that matters, not how old or what colour or religion the author's back ground is.

They want an equal oppurtunities sheet to prove they aren't dismissing scripts because the writer is black or whatever. Plus it helps with research, so they know what kind of people are writing in to them.

I don't want to sound like an arse here but I am willing to bet that 90% of the scripts they get just aren't funny. If a script is funny and enjoyable then they'll take it further, it's that simple.

A 30 page script with 20 jokes/funny moments isn't going to get through, though. It's a tough task.

Quote: writer for hire @ April 2 2012, 9:13 PM BST

I don't want to sound like an arse here but I am willing to bet that 90% of the scripts they get just aren't funny. If a script is funny and enjoyable then they'll take it further, it's that simple.

This

A 30 page script with 20 jokes/funny moments isn't going to get through, though. It's a tough task.

How much do you bet? How do we prove it is funny? Do you just read them? What happens if I don't trust your judgement? Seems a pretty lame bet to me...

I am willing to bet that 90% of the scripts they get just aren't funny.

That all depends on the reader and if they get the joke or find it funny in the first place. I've been to writers groups and know actors who have read scripts and found them absolutely hilarious and can relate to the characters and situations - yet - the script comes back as not being funny.

Yet there are current sitcoms that get made which are just not funny at all. Neither comedy or drama, there are absolutely no jokes or laughs but then again, the writer or star just 'knows' people.

Quote: SLRees @ April 3 2012, 4:10 PM BST

That all depends on the reader and if they get the joke or find it funny in the first place. I've been to writers groups and know actors who have read scripts and found them absolutely hilarious and can relate to the characters and situations - yet - the script comes back as not being funny.

Yet there are current sitcoms that get made which are just not funny at all. Neither comedy or drama, there are absolutely no jokes or laughs but then again, the writer or star just 'knows' people.

Yes there are such things as funny scripts that don't get made and poor scripts that do. There's also such a thing as subjectivism, meaning what you or I think is funny can be quite a different experience for someone else. The best thing a writer can do is quit complaining they're being passed over unfairly and concentrate on making their writing the best it can possibly be. Getting upset that other people are making it because of "who they know" isn't going to help you be any funnier.

Oh yeah! In the face! Mr Bussell just owned you all!