The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 65

Quote: Declan @ March 3 2012, 9:54 PM GMT

It was a tough choice this year, and because we're going to be heavily involved with script development...

Is this with Hat Trick?

Quote: Marc P @ March 3 2012, 10:12 PM GMT

Is this with Hat Trick?

Hat Trick will be giving feedback on the 16 chosen to go through to public showcase.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ March 3 2012, 10:11 PM GMT

...And double congratulations to Eoin Carney!

Shit yeah - just seen that. Double well done!

I'm gutted too, but at least I have my family. I should probably go home and see them - they'll be wondering where I've been since the competition opened.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ March 3 2012, 10:11 PM GMT

And double congratulations to Eoin Carney!

Now that is quite impressive.

Congrats to the Longlisters!

Doubly so to Eoin Carney, the talented bugger.

Good job final 32-ers, you're the toast of us all. I was hoping for a 3rd straight year on the longlist but, alas, it is not to be.

PS - The fajitas were nice.

Ooh! I got through.
There's a thing.

Congratulations and best of luck to the 32 who made the list - they were up against some quality opposition I'm sure. Anyone else find their two bits of feedback like chalk and cheese? :D

I've entered this competition in the past with offerings I dashed off and that were, frankly, utter bilge. This year, I decided I'd have one more shot and so I took a lot of time and rewrote and rewrote and rewrote again. I thought my idea was original, funny, with strong characters and had potential to make a TV series. I stuck to the rules... ie it was the correct length, decent plot, had few characters and was very simple to stage. I know the grammar was spot on and I spelt all the long words correctly. I even put some funny lines in it.

I didn't even make it on to the long list and it is a very long long list. I am a bit disappointed.

But, and here's the rub, only a tiny bit and then only because I'm moderately competitive. Instead and, strange as it sounds, I'm grateful for my failure. Why? Because it has confirmed my suspicion that I haven't got what it takes, I can't write this stuff, I'm really not very funny and I shouldn't keep trying.

And that, odd as it sounds, is well worth knowing.

So, very well done to those that made the list and good luck to the organisers for the rest of their competition. I thank them - and this is genuine - for making me see that I needed to give up and try something else!

Am also gutted. Am out with a few friends but waited patiently for d long list. I adjusted my gingerdread man script after d feedback but still got nowhere. I honestly thought it was good and funny but I didn't get picked. I didn't request d second feedback so I'll prob never find out why.

Quote: Tupper @ March 4 2012, 12:42 AM GMT

I've entered this competition in the past with offerings I dashed off and that were, frankly, utter bilge. This year, I decided I'd have one more shot and so I took a lot of time and rewrote and rewrote and rewrote again. I thought my idea was original, funny, with strong characters and had potential to make a TV series. I stuck to the rules... ie it was the correct length, decent plot, had few characters and was very simple to stage. I know the grammar was spot on and I spelt all the long words correctly. I even put some funny lines in it.

I didn't even make it on to the long list and it is a very long long list. I am a bit disappointed.

But, and here's the rub, only a tiny bit and then only because I'm moderately competitive. Instead and, strange as it sounds, I'm grateful for my failure. Why? Because it has confirmed my suspicion that I haven't got what it takes, I can't write this stuff, I'm really not very funny and I shouldn't keep trying.

And that, odd as it sounds, is well worth knowing.

So, very well done to those that made the list and good luck to the organisers for the rest of their competition. I thank them - and this is genuine - for making me see that I needed to give up and try something else!

I had to write for almost 2 years before any of my work finally made it into a competition. I SLOWLY got better when I worked with this guy in Los Angeles - I would write a script get feedback and rewrite. Then I would do a different script and get feedback and rewrite. Through this long process my writing improved. And you're right some people are natural comedy writers, then there's people like us that have to work really hard at it - so hang in there, find an organization that can provide feedback for a reasonable cost (including the rewrite).

Second year running on the longlist :D But didn't make the cut for the shortlist last year and feel, given the obvious strength of the competition, there's a lot of re-writing ahead...

Congratulations to all on the long list, commiserations to the all those who aren't - and on to the next script!

Remember the longlist of 32 is taken from around 400 entries.

What's more you finished a script. A lot of people talk about finishing a script, a lot of people dream about finishing one. You actually did it. And you'll be better next time because you finished it.

We'll be here next year.

I wasn't sure Council would make it to the final 32 although you hold out that hope don't you I suppose :(