The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 67

It is disappointing not making the list, I won't deny it. Having paid for a recorded read through and feedback, I thought I'd ironed out the points raised but there you go. It's all part and parcel of being a writer and if you're not one for taking rejection and building on it, you're not in it for the long run. Already feeling compelled to crack straight on to rewriting my script (I won't name it, there's no need) for the BBC's Laugh Track competition.

I heard the other day it took Sam Bain 7 years of writing before getting something broadcast, which is inspirational.

Quote: Kevin Mears @ March 4 2012, 3:28 PM GMT

I heard the other day it took Sam Bain 7 years of writing before getting something broadcast, which is inspirational.

And Pixar spend about 5 years getting the stories right on their films.
Twenty and thirty drafts are not unknown.
Taking a re-write on the chin is very much part and parcel of the writer's life.

Well done to Lazzard for getting through.

I see the feedback option has been opened again, what would the wait be if we purchased that now?

Congratulations to the other 31 writers, I look forward to the next stage although I am dreading the incredibly stressful few weeks ahead :S

Quote: richiemoomoo @ March 4 2012, 4:48 PM GMT

Congratulations to the other 31 writers, I look forward to the next stage although I am dreading the incredibly stressful few weeks ahead :S

I think there's only another 30 who got through.

Still, all of you, why be stressed? You're all there on merit so remember that
and build on what you have all done well already. Enjoy the 'stress'... it keeps the blood pumping.

Quote: simon wright @ March 4 2012, 11:51 AM GMT

You banker! Was a strong contender right up to the last minute. What does this prove? That not making the list doesn't mean you can't write comedy-you could have come 33rd.

Totally agree, too, that you just need the good fortune of getting it into the hands of someone who is on the same wavelength. Comedy is so subjective. Look at how Miranda divides people.

Simon? is it possible to pay for feedback now, to know where we went wrong.

Quote: bighead65 @ March 4 2012, 5:44 PM GMT

Simon? is it possible to pay for feedback now, to know where we went wrong.

Yes, go to here:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/feedback/

Quote: bigfella @ March 4 2012, 4:25 PM GMT

Well done to Lazzard for getting through.

I see the feedback option has been opened again, what would the wait be if we purchased that now?

Depends on how many we get. If you want it in good time for Laughing Stock, that shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding the feedback, you've got two options here. One with MP3 and one without for the same price. I assume the latter is more detailed feedback.

Is this a year-round service you offer?

Well done to those who got through.... I didnt but, for once, didn't let it destroy my comedy mojo.

As a suggestion:

Would anyone be interested in 'swapping' scripts and giving each other feedback. I'm not 100% sure what the merit would be but I learnt a lot from my feedback (I was a square and went for the silver feedback) and sure I could apply some of that to other peoples scripts. A sort of 'learn from each others mistakes' type affair.

Anyone?

Quote: Declan @ March 4 2012, 5:57 PM GMT

Yes, go to here:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/feedback/

Depends on how many we get. If you want it in good time for Laughing Stock, that shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you Declan, done.

Quote: Twitchy @ March 4 2012, 7:09 PM GMT

Would anyone be interested in 'swapping' scripts and giving each other feedback. I'm not 100% sure what the merit would be but I learnt a lot from my feedback

Is an excellent idea. What have you got to lose?

You may even find a writing partner.

Quote: rwayne @ March 4 2012, 4:59 PM GMT

Still, all of you, why be stressed? Enjoy the 'stress'.

Laughing out loud

Quote: rwayne @ March 4 2012, 4:59 PM GMT

I think there's only another 30 who got through.

Still, all of you, why be stressed? You're all there on merit so remember that
and build on what you have all done well already. Enjoy the 'stress'... it keeps the blood pumping.

Actually stress can raise blood pressure and increase the risk of heart attack.

What are you trying to do? Kill off all your competition?!? :D

Firstly thanks to the guys for running the competition. It gives many of us someting to aim for. I, like so many others did not get on to the Longlist, congratulations and well done to those who did. I wish you all success and you have all acheived something great no matter what happens in the next stage.

From a personal point of view I have been at work over the weekend and my wife telephoned me to tell me I had not made the list. I was also increadibly dissapointed. I work in a job where I have lots of time to think which is usually great for ideas but not so good if you are on a downer. Over the course of the last 36 hours I have thought about stopping writing, stopping writing comedy, cocentrating on Radio scripts, a novel I am part way through and a screenplay I have been working on for several months, I have thought about bacon sandwiches (which to tell the you the truth is a constant for me) and not for the first time I have thought that writing comedy and for theatre and writing a fifteen play is either impossible or not for me. This morning I have reached a decision.

I love writing. I would like to have some success (even a newsjack credit would mean so much) but if I don't get it this week or this year or next year that is not whats important. I have been both praised and ripped to shreads on critique on this forum, I have been rejected by BBC Writers room several times, entered The sitcom mission twice, entered The Bruntwood Prize and been turned down by production companies (when they could be bothered to reply) on numerous occasions but although I can become disheartned and lose confidence there is always a moment when something enters my head and I go, Yes,that's a great idea. What can I do with that? and no matter how I feel I can always pick it up and run with it, so few people can do that and that is an acheivement in it'self, so to all those who did not make the list and are feeling down and deflated, just for finishing something, no matter what it was you are brilliant.

Pick yourself up and start again and who knows what will come next?

Davey.