The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 66

Quote: Tupper @ March 4 2012, 12:42 AM GMT

I've entered this competition in the past with offerings I dashed off and that were, frankly, utter bilge. This year, I decided I'd have one more shot and so I took a lot of time and rewrote and rewrote and rewrote again. I thought my idea was original, funny, with strong characters and had potential to make a TV series. I stuck to the rules... ie it was the correct length, decent plot, had few characters and was very simple to stage. I know the grammar was spot on and I spelt all the long words correctly. I even put some funny lines in it.

I didn't even make it on to the long list and it is a very long long list. I am a bit disappointed.

But, and here's the rub, only a tiny bit and then only because I'm moderately competitive. Instead and, strange as it sounds, I'm grateful for my failure. Why? Because it has confirmed my suspicion that I haven't got what it takes, I can't write this stuff, I'm really not very funny and I shouldn't keep trying.

And that, odd as it sounds, is well worth knowing.

So, very well done to those that made the list and good luck to the organisers for the rest of their competition. I thank them - and this is genuine - for making me see that I needed to give up and try something else!

Making the longlist doesn't mean you can't write comedy. I would put it down to the judges' tastes being different to ours. I slaved over my entry, "You Banker!" and I know it's a damn good script. Just need the good fortune of getting it into the hands of someone who is on the same wavelength. I suspect it's true of your entry and many others too.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ March 4 2012, 10:38 AM GMT

Making the longlist doesn't mean you can't write comedy. I would put it down to the judges' tastes being different to ours. I slaved over my entry, "You Banker!" and I know it's a damn good script. Just need the good fortune of getting it into the hands of someone who is on the same wavelength. I suspect it's true of your entry and many others too.

Ditto to that, I really nailed mine this time, I've come to the conclusion its not what these judges are looking for, mines not an original concept but it,s bloody funny, might put it away for a bit and rethink how the bollocks to get this made, sell a kidney and film it myself maybe blah blah rant rant!

You banker! Was a strong contender right up to the last minute. What does this prove? That not making the list doesn't mean you can't write comedy-you could have come 33rd.

Totally agree, too, that you just need the good fortune of getting it into the hands of someone who is on the same wavelength. Comedy is so subjective. Look at how Miranda divides people.

Quote: Tupper @ March 4 2012, 12:42 AM GMT

I've entered this competition in the past with offerings I dashed off and that were, frankly, utter bilge. This year, I decided I'd have one more shot and so I took a lot of time and rewrote and rewrote and rewrote again. I thought my idea was original, funny, with strong characters and had potential to make a TV series. I stuck to the rules... ie it was the correct length, decent plot, had few characters and was very simple to stage. I know the grammar was spot on and I spelt all the long words correctly. I even put some funny lines in it.

I didn't even make it on to the long list and it is a very long long list. I am a bit disappointed.

But, and here's the rub, only a tiny bit and then only because I'm moderately competitive. Instead and, strange as it sounds, I'm grateful for my failure. Why? Because it has confirmed my suspicion that I haven't got what it takes, I can't write this stuff, I'm really not very funny and I shouldn't keep trying.

And that, odd as it sounds, is well worth knowing.

So, very well done to those that made the list and good luck to the organisers for the rest of their competition. I thank them - and this is genuine - for making me see that I needed to give up and try something else!

I'm in pretty much the same boat as yourself as regards entering this competition previously and not (yet) getting as far as the longlist. I'm different, though, in that I'm not disappointed or about to give up. I am convinced I can do this.
'dashing off' scripts does ring a bell with me too and as we've both found out that just isn't good enough. You say this year you've really put in some time and effort (that shows you've improved anyway)
You could look at this year's entry as your first 'serious' entry then? and how many people get anywhere with their first attempt at something?
You should ask yourself why you write... most people who do, I imagine, do so because they think they can (and I'm sure they are right) but, ultimately, what everybody should come away with is the satisfaction of being left with something
that we have created, and only we could have created... that's pretty good I
reckon.
As for not being able to write 'funny' I don't think there is anyone who can't... people have different senses of humour, of course, but I've never actually met anyone who didn't have a sense of humour.
There is value in writing just from writing and the more of it you do the better you get.
So, for me, I intend to read the feedback and try to learn from it and not start a couple of weeks before the deadline because that really doesn't do us any favours.
The things wrong with my scrips, so far, are really mostly down to not giving the writing of it enough time so if I do that again I'm stupid, so I won't do it. Now would be the time to start thinking about next year's entry and get rid of the mistakes that have been pointed out to me. I do that that and I'm going to be on the longlist eventually and if you do I might see you on there.

If your confident in the quality, tout it around to some agents.
You've got some valuable information from Simon - your script made it into the top 10% of an industry recognized competition, narrowly missing out on the finals (hey, your a writer, it's OK to embroider a little) - bandy the name 'Hat Trick' around - that'll get ears twitching.
It's all leverage and might well get you read by a few people.
You never know.

Congratulations to the finalists.

For the people who didn't make it I like you am disappointed but have taken alot from the feedback and will be back next year.

Another crumb of comfort is that if like me you're not an established writer, in many cases that is what we are up against in this competition. Googling many of the winners reveals some real quality experience in this field, whether it be writing comedy, stand up comedians or writers for well known dramas and soaps. These people are professionals and they know how to deliver a quality script. As we all know, having a foot in/experience in this industry is invaluable so it doesn't suprise me that the longlist is made up of many people who have that experience.

I just feel fortunate to be able to enter a competition like this and obtain quality feedback. For the judges did every script get a placement? I'd be interested to know how well we did.

Quote: EPICJ @ March 4 2012, 12:07 PM GMT

. For the judges did every script get a placement? I'd be interested to know how well we did.

It's been a marathon reading 400 scripts and sending out 92 pieces of feedback. We can't go through all those scripts again and seed them. There just isn't time.

I did think before posting that the writer of You Banker had come close because I was worried that others would (quite reasonably) want to know how their script had done. Did they almost make the longlist? I wish there was time to let everybody know, but there simply isn't and we've got to move on to the next phase now.

How many people went for the feedback option that you got so you could rewrite before the deadline this year guys? I know if I had gone for it this year, was a bit overloaded though, I would have gone that route - seems sensible to get time to act on the feedback rather than after the event.

Quote: Marc P @ March 4 2012, 12:41 PM GMT

How many people went for the feedback option that you got so you could rewrite before the deadline this year guys? I know if I had gone for it this year, was a bit overloaded though, I would have gone that route - seems sensible to get time to act on the feedback rather than after the event.

Would only be of benefit if the same reviewer sees your script both times?

Quote: Alan O'Brien @ March 4 2012, 12:52 PM GMT

Would only be of benefit if the same reviewer sees your script both times?

Well certainly in terms of the staging notes, they would certainly be better had before submission. But I gather all scripts are read by both, and jointly picked for the long and short list - so they would be?

Quote: Marc P @ March 4 2012, 12:56 PM GMT

Well certainly in terms of the staging notes, they would certainly be better had before submission. But I gather all scripts are read by both, and jointly picked for the long and short list - so they would be?

I was a bit buggered 'cos I suddenley lost the last two weeks before the deadline, so had to finish up early.
But I think if you're going to spring for the feedback, getting it in enough time so you can act on it would be the smart thing.
I got through (heaven's be praised) but it would have been no more than a days work to address some of the purely practical problems and at least get another bite at the cherry (and wind the judges up a bit less!).
I would certainly advise going for feedback - mine got straight to the nub of the problems and what needs addressing.
Two heads looking at your work for that sort of money is pretty good value.

Quote: Marc P @ March 4 2012, 12:56 PM GMT

Just over 20 people took Silver feedback entry.

Quote: Lazzard @ March 4 2012, 12:05 PM GMT

If your confident in the quality, tout it around to some agents.
You've got some valuable information from Simon - your script made it into the top 10% of an industry recognized competition, narrowly missing out on the finals (hey, your a writer, it's OK to embroider a little) - bandy the name 'Hat Trick' around - that'll get ears twitching.
It's all leverage and might well get you read by a few people.
You never know.

I'm on it, but of course a fifteen-minute script for the stage is a very different beast to a 30 minute TV sitcom so I will be working on revamping the idea before sending it out. I'm also going to take a crack at the current BBC sitcom competition. My strategy is to just keep wearing people down until someone cracks.

And congrats to you on making it to the longlist! Good luck with the next stage!

Quote: simon wright @ March 4 2012, 11:51 AM GMT

You banker! Was a strong contender right up to the last minute. What does this prove? That not making the list doesn't mean you can't write comedy-you could have come 33rd.

Totally agree, too, that you just need the good fortune of getting it into the hands of someone who is on the same wavelength. Comedy is so subjective. Look at how Miranda divides people.

Thanks, Simon. You are such a good cop!

Quote: Declan @ March 4 2012, 1:19 PM GMT

Just over 20 people took Silver feedback entry.

So that's about five percent of entries. I would have thought a lot higher would have gone for it!

What's the current BBC sitcom Evan?

Marc -- The current BBC sitcom competition is the "Laugh Track" one. There's a thread on it here--

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/23647/