Sitcom Trials Manchester 2011 - scripts invited Page 9

Just reading through a few of the scripts entered, and they're looking pretty good. One in particular has 'my vote'.

If we only have one vote. If we have many votes then does that make us communists? Or do they not vote at all?

I think it's a kind proportional representation system...

You vote for yourself first, vote the crap into second and the good ones get -2...

That way we should all come second and go though to the next round of voting...

Quote: RedZed333 @ June 19 2011, 10:23 PM BST

That way we should all come second and go though to the next round of voting...

And everyone is a winner! Bravo.

Having read a few more scripts, it does make me wonder whether people have bothered to read the rules. I think there should be a pre-vote 'cull' of scripts that don't meet the requirements.

Requirements which, in truth, aren't hard to meet, yet seem to have been ignored by some writers.

And no, I'm not going to name names. I'll just point at... that one, for starters.

EDIT: Having read even more scripts, I am genuinely amazed at how many don't meet the requirements. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be some flexibility, particularly in terms of the timing, but surely the simple idea of "First part of no more than 8 minutes, cliffhanger, final scene of 3 minutes" is basic enough to understand. Writing a script in such a format should be a basic entry requirement!

Quote: Penge @ June 19 2011, 10:26 PM BST

Having read a few more scripts, it does make me wonder whether people have bothered to read the rules. I think there should be a pre-vote 'cull' of scripts that don't meet the requirements.

Requirements which, in truth, aren't hard to meet, yet seem to have been ignored by some writers.

And no, I'm not going to name names. I'll just point at... that one, for starters.

Totally agree but those scripts seem to win every time :S

How does one vote anyway?

Quote: bushbaby @ June 19 2011, 10:35 PM BST

Totally agree but those scripts seem to win every time :S

I've got to stop reading them now because I am making myself quite, quite annoyed. I bothered to write and edit a script to meet the guidelines, granted I should have put some of those elusive 'jokes' in there too, but others haven't even tried! They don't even have the cliffhanger.

I'm going to go and drink curiously named real ales and fall into a drunken stupor.

Again.

SITCOM TRIALS MANCHESTER - VOTING

Right, the entries are in, the voting may begin*. Here's how it works.

Anyone on this forum, whether they have entered a script or not, is invited to read, review and vote on the scripts they have read. And they are to do it RIGHT HERE on the forum for everyone to see.

Step 1) Go to the SitsVac files are read as many of the entries as you can (you do not need to read all of them, but that would be nice). The files are at: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/files/

Step 2) Having read all the scripts you can, we would like you to post a Twitter-length review of each of the scripts (approx 140 characters or 3 short lines) here on the forums, adding most-importantly your vote...

Step 3) Vote either YES, MAYBE or NO to each script. With this you are stating whether or not you think the script should be considered for showcasing on stage as part of The Sitcom Trials. A YES will score 2 points, a MAYBE will score 1 point, and a NO will score minus 1 point. No vote will make no difference to the total.

And that is it. Read the scripts, post your short reviews and your Yes/Maybe/No verdicts on each here, and we'll simply tot them up when you've finished. This will give us the shortlist of scripts to be considered for performance in Manchester on July 2nd. The deadline for reading, reviewing and voting is Sunday 26th June. Please only vote once, on one forum. Votes are being counted on the British Comedy Guide forum and on the SitsVac forum.**

Any questions or queries, please ask them here on the forum so everyone can read the answers.

Happy voting (my own personal votes will appear during the week).

Kev F Sutherland
Exec Producer
The Sitcom Trials http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

*Any late entries up until June 21st remain eligible for consideration.

** The SitsVac forum is at: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/messages

I have no idea as to what to click on to vote???&&$$££!"))

I knew I should have named mine 'A Theatre of Dreams' instead of 'Theatre of Dreams' as it would have been near the top and logically one of the first to be read rather than being at the arse end of the list by alphabetical correctness. Ah well.

Penge brings up a valid point, but I'm not sure what can be done.

It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out.

p.s Penge, there are a few creativly named bitter drinks that you may appreciate in my script, if your into that kind of thong.

I've entered. Now you can all get your revenge. I look forward to 1200+ NO votes.

Cheers, Dec

Ok just to confirm, we read all the scripts making notes and scoring as we go then when that is done we post it all in one message on this forum, so 20+ script reviews and a the vote either YES/NO/MAYBE. is that correct? is there another way to vote that I'm missing?

Quote: Penge @ June 19 2011, 10:26 PM BST

The solution is in your hands, if they don't meet the basic criteria then it's a big fat -2...

As long as you point this out in your critique and show consistency then no-one can complain...

What happened to the poll file with the scoring buttons, are they not happening now..?

So on this forum we name the script we are reviewing.

Write a short review.

Then write yes, no or maybe.

Then someone will add up everyones score.

Does this sound right?

Quote: bushbaby @ June 19 2011, 11:24 PM BST

I have no idea as to what to click on to vote???&&$$££!"))

You don't click on anything. You just go to the files, open each one and read them (some are Word, some are PDF so you'll have to download them), then post a list of short reviews and votes right here. No buttons to click.

Kev F

Quote: Philip Hepple @ June 19 2011, 11:38 PM BST

I knew I should have named mine 'A Theatre of Dreams' instead of 'Theatre of Dreams' as it would have been near the top and logically one of the first to be read rather than being at the arse end of the list by alphabetical correctness. Ah well.

Penge brings up a valid point, but I'm not sure what can be done.

Read them in a different order, buck the trend.

Make one of your criteria the fact that a writer didn't follow the rules. You could simply write: "SCRIPT X by Writer A - No cliffhanger, so NO"

Kev F

Quote: cedardude @ June 19 2011, 11:40 PM BST

Ok just to confirm, we read all the scripts making notes and scoring as we go then when that is done we post it all in one message on this forum, so 20+ script reviews and a the vote either YES/NO/MAYBE. is that correct? is there another way to vote that I'm missing?

You have it. Your message would contain 20+ script reviews and 20+ Yes, Maybe or No votes.

Kev F

Quote: RedZed333 @ June 20 2011, 12:16 AM BST

What happened to the poll file with the scoring buttons, are they not happening now..?

I decided against that. Had we had 100 entries, something simple with buttons would have been worthwhile, but with 35 scripts, we can do it the "old" way (this is how we used to do it ten years ago in the earliest days of The Sitcom Trials).

Kev F

Quote: bushbaby @ June 20 2011, 12:25 AM BST

I truly thought a sitcom was a beginning/muddle/end but no one seems to get it but yet they win without regard for those rules. Most to me seem just conversation without any build up and without climax. Whatever.

Welcome to Declan & Simon's world. They have read literally hundreds of scripts far far worse than what you're having to look at.

Kev F

Quote: Samuel Lees @ June 20 2011, 1:30 AM BST

So on this forum we name the script we are reviewing.

Write a short review.

Then write yes, no or maybe.

Then someone will add up everyones score.

Does this sound right?

That is it, in a nutshell.

Kev F (who has suddenly realised that all his individually signed replies are coming out as one long posting with half a dozen signatures. Not that vain.)

Okay, I'll go first you chicken shits...

Bi-Polar: Dialogue quite droll, not very funny, first scene went 3 pages over, cliffhanger tame, supposed to be one location and you had the the two poles..!

No

Mates Rates: 22 pages..!

No

University of Life: A couple of good verbal exchanges, short at four pages, cliffhanger poor...

No