Sitcom Trials Manchester 2011 - scripts invited Page 5

Quote: Penge @ May 31 2011, 8:50 PM BST

I hope the voting begins pretty soon. I'm off to foreign climes on Monday and certainly won't be thinking about popping onto Yahoo Groups to vote on sitcom scripts whilst I'm lounging around a lake with a beer in hand!

Yes you will. You know you will. We all know...

Sorry, I seem to be in creepy mode for some reason. Anyway, the original post says that voting will begin in late June. So, it's the old waiting game for the moment.

Quote: anon

Hello, I am planning to travel down from edinburgh to manchester to see the sitcom trials on 2nd July. Do I need to book tockets or is it free? thanks,

Hi,

I have just seen that there are no ticket prices shown on their website, which I'd have thought there would be by now. I understand you'd like to be sure of getting in, so the only certain way is to email the venue directly: <info@thelass.co.uk> and ask if you can book.

I know this is unsatisfactory, I shall chase them up again myself. Best of luck, look forward to seeing you there

Kev F

Kev: I'm quite far away from Manchester so was only planning on attending if I'm lucky enough to get through. Have you reserved places for the winners or will they have to book to? There isn't much time between the results being posted and the event taking place, which could mean that the tickets are sold out before the winners are announced.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ June 6 2011, 2:30 PM BST

Kev: I'm quite far away from Manchester so was only planning on attending if I'm lucky enough to get through. Have you reserved places for the winners or will they have to book to? There isn't much time between the results being posted and the event taking place, which could mean that the tickets are sold out before the winners are announced.

This is all very true, and you're all making me aware of how little involvement I've had in this Manchester show. I shall chase these questions up and get back to you. I would assume the winning writers are guaranteed a free seat, that's always been the case before.

Kev F

Thanks, Kev.

Of course, I've probably just jinxed myself! Doh!

Tickets now on sale for The Sitcom Trials Manchester, 7.15pm July 2nd 2011.

THE SITCOM TRIALS. Brand new sitcoms compete and the audience vote for the winner. Have we found the new Office? Only you can decide. £3.00, Salmon Room. Tickets via http://www.wegottickets.com/event/122060 or on the door [Comedy]

This is probably a stupid question but just how strict is the 4 characters rule.

I'm adapting my script from the sitcom mission but it involves 5 characters (3guys, 2girls) they all have speaking parts

I originally had five in mine and was able to 'give' their lines to the other characters with a few alterations etc; therefore bringing the cast down to three.

Quote: bushbaby @ June 8 2011, 5:14 PM BST

I originally had five in mine and was able to 'give' their lines to the other characters with a few alterations etc; therefore bringing the cast down to three.

Yea its always possible and if needs be I will but it will be at the expense of the story and a few good lines so I'm very reluctant to do it.

Its strange, when I'm editing a script I think I'm a writing legend and every word is the greatest thing in the world and couldn't possibly be cut. Yet I know the moment I send it off and re-read it I'll think "I could have easily have got rid of half of it".

When I was in charge of the Sitcom Trials, the four characters rule was very strict. It was a discipline of the show that helped the production and was, I felt, good for the writers.

I've told Lisa, who's running the Manchester Trials, that she'll be choosing from scripts written for no more than 4 actors. If your script's so brilliant you want to risk it, you never know you might twist her arm. But I wouldn't bet on it.

"I'd rather cut off my own arm than lose one of my Nuns". Did I ever tell you that story? Ah, memories...

Kev F http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

Your breaking my balls Kev, breaking my balls.

Just so you know without my fifth character my script now ends with the devils threesome. I hopethat's a world you're prepared to live in.

In response to an off-group query:

"I was wondering about the conclusions to the enteries, do we include them with the SitVac scripts or do we send them somewhere else for the writers to read for the winning script.

"Secondly, ive noiced on the message board that people are asking about more than 4 characters, I don't mean to be picky, but your request made it very clear that is should be no more than 4 characters, it was even in capitals.
Now I would have loved another character for my entry, and mine was adapted from one with more characters, butthat's not what was required, and if people are serious about becoming writers surely they should get used to writing to spec."

A very good point, Anonymous (he wasn't anonymous off-group, but he is now. Or she. He or she is anonymous). The rules say 4 actors, so I really should insist you stick to those.

As for the endings, the bit after the Cliffhanger: Yes, please include that in your script submission.

Scripts need uploading to: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/files/

We have an amazing seven entries in so far. Yes, that's right, seven! The Sitcom Mission got, what was it, three or four thousand scripts, which took them weeks to read. We've got seven. That's almost as many scripts as appear in the entire Sitcom Mission final season. I get the impression some people aren't taking this one-off performance in a pub theatre in Manchester quite as seriously as the tournament co-produced with the country's biggest TV production company at a major theatre in London.

Kev F http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

OK I'v just taken my fifth character out back and shot her. So don't worry it now just has 4 actors.
I have written one script especially for the trials but while consumed with writers block I decided to check wether or not my sitcom mission entry could be a)edited down and would b)meet the rules. My passing comment was simply wishful thinking I guess as to wether or not I could submit it.
I hope anonymous can forgive my foolishness and my journey towards becoming a serious writer who can write to spec continues, further enriched now I have learnt the importance of reading the rules and the serious implications of not paying attention to capital letters can have.

Quote: Kev F @ June 8 2011, 8:59 PM BST

When I was in charge of the Sitcom Trials....

Are you not in charge then Kev?

Just about finished my script, so that'll make it 8. I probably won't be able to get many of my mates to register and vote for it though (lazy f*ckers) so I still won't make it to the performance stage.

It's the £5000 carrot wot did it for sitcom mission Kev......as you know but to me Sitcom Trials is just as important ;)