Sitcom Trials Manchester 2011 - scripts invited Page 13

Quote: evan rubivellian @ June 21 2011, 5:07 PM BST

Still leaves around 40 potential "maybe"s.

Truly I can't find one. IMO a sitcom is what 'Singing The Blues' has. A lot are very funny but just witty conversation with characters sitting around; without a storyline/middle/end. Some are far too long for the RULES :D I'm a stickler for rules, so they would be disqualified etc etc

I thought I was a tough critic!

I'm trying to judge them more on if I could watch them for 10 min or not.

The length of some is annoying and with so many to read my heart does sink when I see 20 pages.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ June 21 2011, 5:18 PM BST

I thought I was a tough critic!

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Samuel Lees @ June 21 2011, 5:19 PM BST

I'm trying to judge them more on if I could watch them for 10 min or not.

The length of some is annoying and with so many to read my heart does sink when I see 20 pages.

same here

On a personal note I would like to throw this out there, in comparison to other enteries, my entry, 'Theatre of Dreams', is quite long in thenpage count department (20ish pages) but most of that comes from descriptions of action that on stage will only take 20 seconds but could last a few paragraphs.

A couple of my mates acted it out for me and it worked out more or less the time required.

Just thought I'd say that.

Apologies if I sound like a douchebag.

I noticed too that most are in TV format and not stage :)
Good job I'm not in charge, innit? Laughing out loud I'd call the whole thing off

Quote: Philip Hepple @ June 21 2011, 5:33 PM BST

On a personal note I would like to throw this out there, in comparison to other enteries, my entry, 'Theatre of Dreams', is quite long in thenpage count department (20ish pages) but most of that comes from descriptions of action that on stage will only take 20 seconds but could last a few paragraphs.

A couple of my mates acted it out for me and it worked out more or less the time required.

Just thought I'd say that.

Apologies if I sound like a douchebag.

I don't mind people that politely defend their scripts. lol. I know it must suck when you're script is judged on something as impersonal as a page count but the point of writing a script is to make it as easy as possible for the reader to read it.

Also after reading so many back to back I've found that character descriptions really put me off. I just want to start reading the script I don't want to read about characters I have no connection with yet. If the character is grumpy, stupid, forgetful or rude then it should be in the script and nowhere else.
I have found that sometimes the character description in no way matches the character I'm reading about which makes it uncomfortable to read. (Not talking about you're script).

Quote: bushbaby @ June 21 2011, 5:41 PM BST

Good job I'm not in charge, innit? Laughing out loud I'd call the whole thing off

The formats are interesting. I find it harder to read the scripts in word. I still read them but I think if you enter a script writing competition then script writing software is essential and not to mention free.

Quote: Samuel Lees @ June 21 2011, 5:52 PM BST

I don't mind people that politely defend their scripts. lol. I know it must suck when you're script is judged on something as impersonal as a page count but the point of writing a script is to make it as easy as possible for the reader to read it.

Also after reading so many back to back I've found that character descriptions really put me off. I just want to start reading the script I don't want to read about characters I have no connection with yet. If the character is grumpy, stupid, forgetful or rude then it should be in the script and nowhere else.
I have found that sometimes the character description in no way matches the character I'm reading about which makes it uncomfortable to read. (Not talking about you're script).

The formats are interesting. I find it harder to read the scripts in word. I still read them but I think if you enter a script writing competition then script writing software is essential and not to mention free.

I didn't mean that Samuel, I meant that a TV script is to the right of the page, so that directors/cameramen can write notes. on the left hand side. A theatre script is written all across the page. :)

Quote: bushbaby @ June 21 2011, 5:41 PM BST

As far as I'm aware there was no mention made of the scripts having to be in stage play format. I'm judging on the content. So, God help me!

Samuel: Yeah, I completely agree about the character descriptions. I just skip them completely.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ June 21 2011, 5:58 PM BST

As far as I'm aware there was no mention made of the scripts having to be in stage play format. I'm judging on the content. So, God help me!

Worrieth noteth, it's just me being pedantic :D But if a piece is for stage, it's not written in TV format ;)

I think the formatting is one of the main problems with this contest. Looking through the scripts there is almost every type of format you can think of including screenplay, radio, audio/visual, stageplay etc...

Depending on the format you chose the number of pages you end up with could vary quite a lot, a definitive format ought to have been given so everyone could play by the same rules...

Quote: bushbaby @ June 21 2011, 5:55 PM BST

I didn't mean that Samuel, I meant that a TV script is to the right of the page, so that directors/cameramen can write notes. on the left hand side. A theatre script is written all across the page. :)

Ha Ha, people only call me samuel when I'm being told off, just had a flashback of school. Anyway, I understand the difference but I'm actually more used to a TV script so it didn't really bother me. In "word" however the dialogue, stage direction, characters and act headings are hard to distinguish between making reading a script awkward.

Maybe I'm just not as much of a square as you :D

Quote: Samuel Lees @ June 21 2011, 6:04 PM BST

Ha Ha, people only call me samuel when I'm being told off, just had a flashback of school. Anyway, I understand the difference but I'm actually more used to a TV script so it didn't really bother me. In "word" however the dialogue, stage direction, characters and act headings are hard to distinguish between making reading a script awkward.

Maybe I'm just not as much of a square as you :D

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud You mean not as old :D

I mean not as wise.