That Friday Quiz Page 143

10. Singapore

19. Downton servants

9. Perfect 10 (The Beautiful South's song and Nadia Comaneci's 1976 Olympic score)

Quote: shaggy292 @ 6th March 2015, 2:40 PM GMT

9. Perfect 10 (The Beautiful South's song and Nadia Comaneci's 1976 Olympic score)

Ah yes.

I thought and thought and thought......and still didn't get it!

You're thinking too much. I only thought, and that seemed to work.

16.Kraft

Have we got another quiz this week Steve?

Quote: Chappers @ 25th April 2015, 6:49 PM BST

Have we got another quiz this week Steve?

I wouldn't bother. George seems quite happy answering one from February . . .

I still have them all
& I did mean to pop the Easter one up when it was topical

Tomorrow is Sunday so it seems the perfect day to stick a new one up
Can someone remind me?

Have we got another quiz this week Steve in 20 minutes?

Friday Quiz January 9th 2015
1. New Year. Name the relevant unique property of the word EXCOMMUNICATIVE. It is the only word to contain the letters MMXV
2. Which supermarket's TV advert was the most remembered of 2014 in a recent poll? Asda
3. What was the name of the short-lived BBC soap opera set on Spain's Costa del Sol? Eldorado
4. Who painted this? Jackson Pollock

5. Which word that describes a clay water mixture used in pottery is also a fielding position in cricket? Slip
6. What two martial arts were in the 2012 Olymic Games? Judo & Taekwondo
7. What is the telephone number for non-urgent enquiries to the police in England and Wales? 101
8. Prior to 'The Artist' in 2012, which was the last black-and-white film to win the Oscar for Best Picture? Schindler's List
9. What two words link these two pictures? Perfect Ten (Beautiful South hit / Nadia Comaneci, first gymnast to score this)

10. Where would you find this wondrous creature? Singapore
11. What branch of medicine deals with the problems and management of pregnancy? Obstetrics
12. Which word describes the representation of three-dimensional objects on a flat surface? Perspective
13. Name this film from last year. Grand Hotel Budapest
14. Which English Twitter philosopher moved to Marseille in 2012? Joey Barton
15. In 2009, which body succeeded the House of Lords as the highest judicial authority in Britain? Supreme Court
16. Which US food conglomerate took over British chocolate producer Cadbury in 2011? Kraft
17. Soap star turned film star. Who is this? Chris Hemsworth

18. I have a meadow in Zambia with three animals, a zebra, a gazelle and a wildebeest. When the zebra and gazelle graze together, all the grass is gone in 45 days. When the zebra and wildebeest graze together, all the grass is gone in 60 days. When the zebra grazes alone there is no more grass after 90 days. When the gazelle and wildebeest graze together the grass is also gone after 90 days. For how long can all three graze together before the grass is gone? 36 days (see proof below)

19. What connection links these pictures: Servants in Downton Abbey (Hughes; Carson; Bates; Barrow; Daisy)

20. Unscramble the two connected words : A A D E E H I N N P P T V Y ADVENT & EPIPHANY

Maths answer in full: The zebra, the gazelle, and the wildebeest eat grass with a constant speed (amount per day): v1 for the zebra, v2 for the gazelle, v3 for the wildebeest.
The grass grows with a constant amount per day (k).
The amount of grass at the beginning is h.
There is given:
When the zebra and the gazelle graze on the field together, there is no grass left after 45 days. Therefore, h-45x(v1+v2-k) = 0, so v1+v2-k = h/45 = 4xh/180.
When the zebra and the wildebeest graze on the field together, there is no grass left after 60 days. Therefore, h-60x(v1+v3-k) = 0, so v1+v3-k = h/60 = 3xh/180.
When the zebra grazes on the field alone, there is no grass left after 90 days. Therefore, h-90x(v1-k) = 0, so v1-k = h/90 = 2xh/180.
When the gazelle and the wildebeest graze on the field together, there is also no grass left after 90 days. Therefore, h-90x(v2+v3-k) = 0, so v2+v3-k = h/90 = 2xh/180.
From this follows:
v1 = 3 x h/180,
v2 = 2 x h/180,
v3 = 1 x h/180,
k = 1 x h/180.

Then holds for the time t that the three animals can graze together: h-tx(v1+v2+v3-k) = 0, so t = h/(v1+v2+v3-k) = h/(3xh/180+2xh/180+1xh/180-1xh/180) = 36. The three animals can graze together for 36 days.

10. The Thorn Birds

3. (15.) Silvio 'Bunga Bunga' Berlusconi

5 Quebec

13/1 Mr Pedant here, strictly speaking a train is the whole thing - the locomotive hauling the train is the Mallard. ;)

2 Africa Cup of Nations (Football)

6 Calling of the first 1974 General Election

Hang on a minute. Al I the only one confused by the fact there 1-12 and then 1-8.