That Friday Quiz Page 140

Quote: Jennie @ 9th January 2015, 10:59 PM GMT

1. Emirates Air Line
14. The Annunciation *polishes halo*

Is that where the word Nun comes from?

2 Darts (PDC)

8. Nimbus 2000 and and invisibility cloak.

Quote: Jennie @ 9th January 2015, 11:03 PM GMT

Number 4 is seriously odd.

I have Googled it so obviously won't give the answer. It is seriously f**king weird. They even have little plastic poos.

I think I saw that on QI once.

19. They have all appeared in TV shows or movies set in space?

19. They've all played Ebenezer Scrooge?

Ohhhh, of course! *claps*

Quote: shaggy292 @ 10th January 2015, 9:59 AM GMT

19. They've all played Ebenezer Scrooge?

Ah yes, nice one - Jim Carrey was the voice in the 2009 animated version and very good it was too.

But who is the man in the first photo?

Kelsey Grammer.

Is it? Dear oh dear would never had recognised him. Ta! :)

Time for a second round? They've all had a chance.

6. Postmen

Have we got one this week Steve?

Yes, have got a Friday this Steve, Quiz?

Yes I'll find one & stick it up in a bit

2 sets of answers

Friday Quiz November 28th 2014
1. Who was engaged in a love match this week? Andy Murray and Kim Sears
2. Which former boyband star opened this week in a West End musical? Ronan Keating
3. Which term has been taken from the game of bridge to indicate a player or team winning all the major matches or tournaments in the same year? Grand Slam
4. Name the cartoon. Josie and the Pussycats

5. In physics, which lower-case letter is conventionally used to denote the speed of light? c
6. What name is given to a pizza which is folded in half before cooking to contain the filling? Calzone
7. The four main characters of which award-winning comedy series were teenage boys called Will, Simon, Jay and Neil? The Inbetweeners
8. Which cartoon couple were the first to be shown in bed together on US prime time TV? Fred & Wilma Flintstone
9. What links these two pictures? Pretenders (Bonnie Prince Charlie - The Young Pretender; Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders)

10. Who is this? Martin Peters
11. What name is given to a loaf made from two rounds of dough; a smaller one placed on top of a larger one? Cottage loaf
12. In Hinduism, a leaf of which herb, closely related to a plant used in Italian cooking, is laid on a dead body to ensure its safe arrival in Paradise? (Holy) basil
13. Name the film. The Tin Drum
14. What name is given to the mass of lymphatic tissue between the back of the nose and the throat that can inhibit breathing and speaking, especially in children? Adenoids
15. Which nineteenth-century American social reformer's name was given to an outfit consisting of a skirt worn over loose trousers gathered at the ankle? (Amelia) Bloomer
16. Which colourful, tender plant often with reddish-purple papery bracts, and popular in the Mediterranean, is named after a French navigator? Bougainvillea
17. Which famous writer sounds like sources for quicksilver? HG Wells (Hg is the chemical symbol for mercury aka quicksilver)

18. I have ten numbers (no decimals, fractions, negatives etc), two of which are the same. By adding any nine of the ten together, I can arrive at the following totals:
82, 83, 84, 85, 87, 89, 90, 91, 92
What is the largest number of the ten? 15 (full answer below)

19. What literary connection links these pictures: Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man; Night Watch; Snuff; Eric; Pyramids)

20. Unscramble the two 2 connected words : A A C L M P R S T U Y CYPRUS & MALTA

Maths Answer
There are ten possible sums, arrived at by alternately excluding each one of the ten numbers. Two of the sums are equal. If we add the ten sums, it should equal nine times the sum of the ten numbers, as each number will be present within all of the sums nine times.

82+83+84+85+87+89+90+91+92=87*9=783, which is divisible by 9, therefore the repeated sum must be divisible by 9. The only sum which meets this criteria is 90.

The sum of the ten numbers is (783+90)/9=97. The largest number is found by subtracting the lowest sum of nine numbers (which excluded the largest of the ten numbers) from the sum of all ten numbers. Thus: 97-82=15. 15 is the largest number of the ten.

Friday Quiz December 19th 2014
1. According to stats this week, which London transport route is currently used regularly by *no* commuters ? The Emirates Air Line
2. Which sporting World Championship got underway yesterday and will finish in the New Year? World Darts Championships
3. Which nickname for Hollywood has a Christmas connection? Tinseltown
4. In which region of Europe is this festive character a traditional part of the Nativity scene? Catalonia (1/2 point for France or Spain)

5. Who dress as Batman & Robin in a Christmas TV comedy classic? Del Boy & Rodney Trotter
6. In 19th century England who were popularly known as 'robins' because of their red uniform? Postmen
7. Which children's robot action figures were the most popular toy of 1984? Transformers
8. In the first of the Harry Potter books, what Christmas present does Harry receive during his first term at Hogwarts? An invisibility cloak
9. What links these two pictures? Morecambe & Wise (reluctantly will accept 'Wise)

10. Name the film. Fred Claus
11. What was Mr Bean searching for when he got his head stuck in a turkey? His wristwatch
12. Originally, the traditional English Father Christmas was not dressed in red. What colour was his outfit ? Green
13. Name the singer who had a major Christmas hit. Greg Lake (I believe in Father Christmas)
14. What do Christians call the event, 9 months before the birth of Jesus, where Mary is told by an angel to 'fear not, as you will give birth to a son'? The Annunciation
15. On which three days of the year do inhabitants of the USA eat most food? Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and Superbowl Sunday (1/3point for each correct)
16. Possibly described as a form of clean transport, what do Norwegians hide somewhere in the house on December 24th as a precaution? A broom (to prevent witches from using them)
17. What is this year's biggest selling Christmas toy ? Snow Glow Elsa doll (1/2 point for Frozen doll)

18. Little Josh was trying to stay awake for Santa Claus. He eventually fell asleep at 3:40am. What is the angle between the two hands of the clock at this time? 130 degrees

19. What connection links these pictures: All have played Scrooge in film versions of 'A Christmas Carol)

20. Unscramble the three connected words : A C D E E F G H I K L M N N N O R R R S Y GOLD FRANKINCENSE & MYRRH

How long do I have to wait before It opens a new post.

Ah there's my answer