That Friday Quiz Page 144

Quote: Chappers @ 26th April 2015, 10:30 PM BST

Hang on a minute. Al I the only one confused by the fact there 1-12 and then 1-8.

Yes you are Al Laughing out loud - he did explain it.

Well I never read the rules or instructions.

My mistake
I was just rying to get it out quick & messed up the numbering

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 26th April 2015, 11:42 PM BST

I was just trying to get it out quick & messed up

Story of my life . . . . . .

Quote: Chappers @ 26th April 2015, 11:06 PM BST

Well I never read the rules or instructions.

Place on the head and roll downwards.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 26th April 2015, 11:42 PM BST

My mistake
I was just rying to get it out quick & messed up the numbering

And the letering. :D

Quote: Oldrocker @ 27th April 2015, 12:14 AM BST

Story of my life . . . . . .

Always have a towel or box of tissues handy.

19. The last image is a graphic of the golden ratio.

So, at a push, we have...

Golden Girls, Golden Boy, Golden Compass, Goldenballs...

Hello Steve. Have we got another competition this week?

(Definitely NOT using posts to get to the 25,000 mark)

Quote: Chappers @ 25th May 2015, 4:14 PM BST

(Definitely NOT using posts to get to the 25,000 mark)

Yeah.......... Unimpressed

Yes
There will be quizzes this week
I need to catch up a bit.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 25th May 2015, 5:23 PM BST

Yes
There will be quizzes this week
I need to catch up a bit.

Oh good, I'll PM George.

1. "Never be the same again" sang MelC. Which seasonal foodstuff could she have been singing about according to a news story this week? Cadbury's Creme Eggs
2. Which major international sports tournament begins tomorrow? Football's Africa Cup of Nations
3. The Oscar nominations were announced yesterday. Which other awards ceremony nominations were also disclosed? The Brits
4. Who is this? Stephanie Roche

5. Which Canadian province features in the NATO Phonetic Alphabet? Quebec
6. The only time Queen Elizabeth has had to cancel an overseas tour was in 1974. What was the reason for the cancellation? A general election was called
7. What are the two capital cities of European Union countries that start with the letter S? Sofia & Stockholm
8. Which country is home to the world's largest population of wild camels? Australia
9. What links these two pictures? 400. CD in roman numerals, and this is quiz number 400.

10. Name the TV miniseries. The Thorn Birds
11. Which English county is home to the most listed buildings? Devon
12. Which Spain and Manchester Utd footballer has a degree in sports science from the University of Madrid? Juan Mata
13. Name the famous train. The Mallard
14. Which actor portrayed Winston Churchill at the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2012 London Olympics? Timothy Spall
15. Which European political leader released an album of love songs shortly after leaving office in 2011? Silvio Berlusconi
16. Which Scot has won the most Olympic gold medals by a British competitor? Sir Chris Hoy
17. What shape is this? Icosahedron

18. I live in the town of Pompom with my ox. I need to cross the mountain to Pimpim to sell my turnips at market. I have 1000 turnips. The distance from Pompom to Pimpim is 99km. The ox can only carry 100 at a time. Also, it eats 1 turnip for every km it travels. What is the maximum number of turnips I can get to market? 139 (see workings below)

19. What connection links these pictures: All can be prefixed by 'The Golden'. (Girls; Child; Compass; Globes; Ratio)

20. Unscramble the two connected words : B D E H L L O O O R R W Y Y BERRY & HOLLYWOOD (hosts of Great British Bakeoff)

Maths workings: It's easiest to break the journey into multiple trips of 1 km. If the distance was 1, the obvious maximum would be 981 (as the ox needs to travel 19 times, 9 return journeys & 1 outward journey). If the distance was 2, the result is same as if I had 981 turnips and to go only 1km, so the result would be 962. When using this method, we can calculate that the final number of turnips is 139. (Note: The result for distance of 6 is 886 but from this moment the ox needs to travel only 17 times to get all the turnips 1km further, so the result for distance of 7 is 869)

As Vic used to say..........."You wouldn't let it lie" and as you like to have a josh on the Name that Tune thread (can't remember its name now Laughing out loud )...............Steve

13. Name the famous train. The Mallard

It is not a train, it is an engine or locomotive. :P

4 Anne Boleyn
9 Avalon

3. Guilty, Not Guilty, Not Proven.

8. Chancellor of The Exchequer? (Well I can't think of one)