Not Going Out - Series 1 Page 7

Quote: Andrew Collins @ November 14, 2006, 6:52 AM

Let's draw a line under this and say: NGO is proof that TV isn't a closed shop. BBC1 were prepared to take a risk on Lee by giving him his own Friday night sitcom. Think how much safer it would be for them to commmision, say, a spin-off of Only Fools And Horses? Or order up another episode of The Royle Family?

Personally, I've never watched either Only Fools and Horses or The Royle Family, I've seen trailers and watched bits on the recommendation of friends but could not see the appeal. I, for one, then, am grateful that the BBC didn't take the easy way out, or I'd have had to find something else to do at 9.30 on a Friday night. As a viewer, I enjoy NGO enormously and look forward to future series, so on that level, applaud the BBC and the NGO team. As a writer, I appreciate the insight that Andrew has shared with us because it illustrates the time, effort, energy, and dissapointment (Grass) that we will all be going through if we are to achieve our ambitions. I think Andrew has been more than generous with his time and we are the ones who may benefit ultimately. I haven't seen any other sitcom writer sharing their experience so willingly with the wannabies and he deserves a lot of respect for that.

I agree with Steve that Andrew has shown himself to be immensely likeable and patient. He has clearly worked hard not only to get an opportunity but also worked at being ready for the opportunity when it arrived. Despite his protestations, he has ability AND talent. I want to thank him for his time when others would have simply waved a commissioned script at us and told us to go whistle. I think I always made clear my respect for him.

My comments were not intended as criticism of him, the show, or the staff, but a gripe at a perceived modus operandi within the upper echelons.

I'll continue, as always, writing my best.

Hear, hear! :)

Quote: Nick @ October 8, 2006, 2:17 PM

I thought it was a promising start for the show. It was all a little uneven and Megan Dodds' character needeed a bit of work but there were some good lines and maybe over time it could develop into a really good show.

I found Lee Mack and Time Vine entertaining even if their acting is unlikely to win them many awards.

I thought Tim Vine was rubbish and for some reason American's out of context (ie in British shows) always set my teeth on edge.

Having said that Lee Mack is hilarious, every line that comes out of his mouth makes me laugh. I especially liked the yoga scene where he looked at his tummy button.

Cut the other characters and just let Lee talk, which I guess is saying that I like Lee Mack's stand up, which I guess means that I don't like the sitcom.

Now I'm confused. Huh?

I think Not Going Out is brilliant. One of its best attributes is the high joke ratio. It’s overwhelming but in that good way. I know some people aren’t keen on the machine gun approach, but surely the strengths of a comedy should be measured in how much it makes you laugh, and this one keeps the laughs coming fast and hard. For me, far too many sitcoms rely on sentimentality, and it’s refreshing to watch one more concerned with making me wet myself. Ironically, Death (the gag-modest episode), was my favourite in the series.

For all the recent fuss about bringing back traditional styled sitcoms, this is the only show that truly performs in my opinion. Plus my Nan thought it was good. And she hates modern comedy.

Is it shot on HD? It seems to appear in the BBCHD schedule for the next couple of weeks.

I believe that the BBC now make most (pre-recorded) shows in HD. Much easier to sell to the lucrative American market.

Cheers Aaron. I wasn't sure as a lot of HD converted shows (Torchwood for example) look really ropey, but I can't say I noticed it in Not Going Out.

I would be highly surprised if Torchwood wasn't filmed in HD actually. I can't comment on how "ropey" it is, but I'm sure it could be accounted for in other ways.

Can anyone help? I've watched and loved the first five episodes but now back in Germany, I've tried to find somewhere on the net to watch Episode 6...anyone got any links (streamed or download)? I know I dont pay Auntie Beebs licence fee but no channel over here has obviously shown the series, there wont be a DVD release in Germany (I guess) and Im desparate to see the last show! Thanks in advance

Quote: pitchinvasion @ December 9, 2006, 6:21 PM

Can anyone help? I've watched and loved the first five episodes but now back in Germany, I've tried to find somewhere on the net to watch Episode 6...anyone got any links (streamed or download)? I know I dont pay Auntie Beebs licence fee but no channel over here has obviously shown the series, there wont be a DVD release in Germany (I guess) and Im desparate to see the last show! Thanks in advance

Hi pitchinvasion. Welcome to the site!

I'm afraid I'm not really much of a downloader myself so don't know where you could get the episode from, sorry. A couple of the other people on here are much more knowledgable about where to download Britcom from - hopefully they'll PM you.

In terms of a DVD, Germany is the same region as the UK so you could just import it from Amazon.co.uk... that is if the Beeb ever get around to releasing it on DVD!

Thanks Mark, and congrats on the site, its great! Would appreciate it if anyone could PM me if they can help. Maybe Andrew Collins can help :-) Incidentally MTV are starting up a German version of Comedy Central in January, and are showing a lot of British sitcoms. "NGO" is not in the starting line-up but maybe if I badger them enough they will license the series...

Notice from the news section that Pulling has another series on the way. Anybody know about more NGO?

Quote: steve by any other name @ January 15, 2007, 9:40 AM

Notice from the news section that Pulling has another series on the way. Anybody know about more NGO?

Steve - I haven't heard anything about Not Going Out Series 2 yet. BBC1 always seem to take forever to make their minds up about re-commissions (except for when it comes to My Family - they recommission that without blinking thanks to the huge audience figures it brings them).

If they don't recommission it they've officially lost the plot as far as I'm concerned!

I'm sure we'll be the first to know - as soon as Andrew does, anyway. ;)

I didn't like Not Going Out - it tried to be too American, in my opinion, what with having an pointless American character. And the plot was wafer thin! The thing about American sitcom is because they go on for 24 twenty two minute episodes, the writers have to pad it out with thin plots to ensure it goes on for longer. But the BBC only runs a sitcom for six episodes so they should make sure that every one has great plot twists and a good overall storyline, not showing some American woman trying to feed her dog vegerterian food in a park!

I didn't like Not Going Out - it tried to be too American, in my opinion, what with having an pointless American character. And the plot was wafer thin! The thing about American sitcom is because they go on for 24 twenty two minute episodes, the writers have to pad it out with thin plots to ensure it goes on for longer. But the BBC only runs a sitcom for six episodes so they should make sure that every one has great plot twists and a good overall storyline, not showing some American woman trying to feed her dog vegerterian food in a park!