Does anyone else dislike Fawlty Towers? Page 4

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2009, 12:36 PM BST

What else did she write? Other than co-writing this?

Well quite, I don't buy the whole sexism angle, it's a cop out. Cleese gets the lions share of the plaudits and attention for Fawlty because, well, he's John Cleese! He's a big deal comedy-wise.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 19 2009, 12:32 PM BST

She is a bit flat on screen.

To be fair she has the most thankless and, to a degree, the most important role in the show. She has to pitch a level of realism and reasonability to the madness of what goes on around her. It's a tough "straight man" role to pull off, but she does so perfectly. It's also very restrained and modest of her, as writing the show she must have been tempted to have more fun and laughs for her character, but they wouldn't have worked for a character who has to be the grounded one.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 12:39 PM BST

To be fair she has the most thankless and, to a degree, the most important role in the show. She has to pitch a level of realism and reasonability to the madness of what goes on around her. It's a tough "straight man" role to pull off, but she does so perfectly. It's also very restrained and modest of her, as writing the show she must have been tempted to have more fun and more laughs for her character.

Regardless of what her role is trying to do, I find her performance flat.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 12:39 PM BST

It's also very restrained and modest of her, as writing the show she must have been tempted to have more fun and laughs for her character, but they wouldn't have worked for a character who has to be the grounded one.

She managed to get her famous Jimmy Cagney impression shoe-horned in!

Was so.

My memory is that it was no 'nicer' in the 1970s than it is today. Those in charge were more assertive, and demanded respect, which showed up as the police being a lot more brutal, and everyone standing up to the national anthem at the end of a film.

Also, there was dog poo everywhere; you don't get to smell that on "Life on Mars". Not nice.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 19 2009, 12:41 PM BST

Regardless of what her role is trying to do, I find her performance flat.

In what way?

Was so. Hence the appeal of a show like Life on Mars, because it genuinely felt like a different country.

Ah, but it was far more grim than now, as Life on Mars, showed.

Anyway, to me saying Fawlty Towers is dated is a bit like saying Windsor Castle is a bit dated.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 12:43 PM BST

In what way?

Her tits aren't big enough? :)

Quote: NoggetFred @ August 19 2009, 12:43 PM BST

My memory is that it was no 'nicer' than it is today. Those in charge were more assertive, and demanded respect, which showed up as the police being a lot more brutal, and everyone standing up to the national anthem at the end of a film.

Also, there was dog poo everywhere; you don't get to smell that on "Life on Mars". Not nice.

Nicer in that there wasn't an entire underclass weened on benefits with no respect for themselves or anybody else, ready to kick off at the slightest provocation.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 12:43 PM BST

In what way?

The flatness. Just doesn't do anything for me. It's not the role, it's the performance.

I think she was more of a straight actor. All comes down to timing and to be fair to her she was doing it alongside some of the best comedy talent in the world at the time.

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2009, 12:44 PM BST

Nicer in that there wasn't an entire underclass weened on benefits with no respect for themselves or anybody else, ready to kick off at the slightest provocation.

There was football violence, riots, racism, etc. And high unemployment by the end of the decade.

Oh my goodness... I can't believe this thread exists! I honestly think Fawlty Towers is the best sitcom ever made, and it still today makes me laugh more than anything else in the world.

Each to their own I suppose, but seriously, how can anyone not like it?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 19 2009, 12:47 PM BST

There was football violence, riots, racism, etc. And high unemployment by the end of the decade.

Agreed. But today there seems to be a complete absence of respect. Lack of common human decency seems endemic now. It makes me sad inside. :(

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 19 2009, 12:44 PM BST

Anyway, to me saying Fawlty Towers is dated is a bit like saying Windsor Davies is a bit dated.

I agree.

:)

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2009, 12:49 PM BST

Agreed. But today there seems to be a complete absence of respect. Lack of common human decency seems endemic now. It makes me sad inside. :(

Respect for you?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 19 2009, 12:50 PM BST

I agree.

:)

Is he still alive?