Does anyone else dislike Fawlty Towers? Page 3

Quote: NoggetFred @ August 19 2009, 11:05 AM BST

Do we know in what way Connie Booth contributed to the writing?

I don't know, but I think history would have she made the tea and fetched the biscuits.

Quote: NoggetFred @ August 19 2009, 11:05 AM BST

Do we know in what way Connie Booth contributed to the writing?

She co-wrote it.

When Fawlty Towers first came out it was criticised for looking creaky and hammy, including some of the other Pythons who thought it was awful. After a few episodes most people changed their minds. I still laugh despite seeing them all so many times and there are not many sit-coms that can do that. The amount of great gags, plot and pratfalls crammed into 25 minute episode is amazing and rarely bettered.

Basil Fawlty is still fixed in the public consciousness with his picture used everytime there is a report on how rubbish our hotels service is (foreigners unfortunate enough to stay in a British hotel are convinced it was a documentary). Not to mention two of the country's biggest names denting their careers badly for taking a swipe at Manuel.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 11:07 AM BST

She co-wrote it.

Yes, that's what I've heard, as opposed to that 'biscuit fetching' which Dolly said history has us believe. So the question is, what was her contribution? Did she do a bit of everything, or perhaps write certain characters, plots...or those parts which Cleese was less sure about, like the female parts; or was it not like that at all? She's not done any other writing, has she?

Quote: NoggetFred @ August 19 2009, 11:35 AM BST

Yes, that's what I've heard, as opposed to that 'biscuit fetching' which Dolly said history has us believe. So the question is, what was her contribution? Did she do a bit of everything, or perhaps write certain characters, plots...or those parts which Cleese was less sure about, like the female parts; or was it not like that at all? She's not done any other writing, has she?

Why are we questioning the Booth contribution to Towers? Would we question the contribution of Graham Chapman in the Cleese/Chapman partnership?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 19 2009, 11:37 AM BST

Why are we questioning the Booth contribution to Towers? Would we question the contribution of Graham Chapman in the Cleese/Chapman partnership?

Exactly. She's not even mentioned in connection with the show most of the time. Now I wonder why that could be....?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 19 2009, 11:38 AM BST

Exactly. She's not even mentioned in connection with the show most of the time. Now I wonder why that could be....?

It's because of her dodgy acting in it. And she's blonde.

:D

It's still one of the best written sitcoms ever. And I like the fact that some episodes run to 35 minutes and they were allowed to get away with it.

Although Cleese and Booth initially started with more of a divide between writing lines for male and female characters, this (apparently) soon changed, with Connie writing lines for Basil quite often. The plots were definitely the work of both. John Cleese has asserted that the scripts were completely the work of them as a team. (Considering the bickering than went on amongst the Pythons over all sorts of credit issues, I doubt that he would be falsely modest about his biggest personal success.)

And that's why I'm interested in what she did. I'm not "questioning" it, if by that the implication is I'm doubting her part; it's just that she's not been properly lauded for her contribution, if that contribution did indeed involve more than biscuits.

Quote: Marc P @ August 19 2009, 11:40 AM BST

And she's blonde.

Oh well she's obviously stupid; she married that loony Cleese. :)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 19 2009, 11:48 AM BST

Who's just been screwed for millions by another blonde.

Well, probably because Cleese is this hugely well known comedy God, and she isn't.

Quote: Marc P @ August 19 2009, 11:40 AM BST

her dodgy acting in it.

She is a bit flat on screen.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 19 2009, 11:48 AM BST

Well now you say that... but I once had to give her advice on how to use an English payphone!

:D

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 19 2009, 11:00 AM BST

It wasn't.

Was so. Hence the appeal of a show like Life on Mars, because it genuinely felt like a different country.

What else did she write? Other than co-writing this?

I believe that both Fawlty Towers and Only Fools and Horses are the two ends of comedy. The two pillars that hold it all together. Without either we wouldn't be in the same place we are now. As much as I dislike FT and like OFAH, I do think that both are extremely important parts of comedy history.