Does anyone else dislike Fawlty Towers? Page 2

Wow, I do re-watch them and don't find them dated. I think the characterisations are strong enough to carry it. But then I often think I'm living in a Victorian novel. :)

Quote: Lee Henman @ August 18 2009, 10:15 PM BST

It is most definitely showing its age. Fawlty Towers is a very old-fashioned British farce - which without the amazing John Cleese would have been forgotten about and buried years ago.

True and true, but completely missing the point. The realisation of the character of Basil was the engine of the show - the plots were just there to give him something to respond to. (Though it is probably worth mentioning also the outstanding realisation of Sybil as a foil for him.)

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 18 2009, 11:35 PM BST

But then I often think I'm living in a Victorian novel. :)

Are you dying of consumption?

It has aged a bit. Porridge doesn't seem half as dated in comparison.

As Lee says, it's a typical British farce really that without John Cleese probably wouldn't have seen the light of day.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 18 2009, 9:20 PM BST

I think it isn't showing its age.

Yes but you like On The Buses.

Quote: AngieBaby @ August 18 2009, 11:32 PM BST

Agree that it was great in its time, but I couldn't watch them again.

A case of too much of a good thing.

I agree entirely - unless I turned it on by accident. I'd probably keep watching it.

Quote: Clockface @ August 19 2009, 12:55 AM BST

It has aged a bit. Porridge doesn't seem half as dated in comparison.

That's because (hopefully) prisons haven't changed in 35 years.

Quote: Chappers @ August 19 2009, 12:59 AM BST

That's because (hopefully) prisons haven't changed in 35 years.

Apart from the fact that most cells are now fitted with a jacuzzi and the crack flows like water.

Fawlty Towers has held up very well. What hasn't held up at all well, are the Python TV shows. Some of them are almost painful to watch.

Fawlty Towers is not at all dated. I think it's due to a lot of comedy coming from farce. I do still laugh consistently at it however I think somehow it is too perfect and polished to ever be my favourite sitcom. It's like it might lack a little bit of soul.

What's everyone's definition of "not dated" here?

It looks quite cheap and 70s.
Quite a few of the references go over my head.
It likes to refer to WWII quite a bit.

On the other hand,

One of the main jokes is that it's a crappy hotel in Tourquet. Which is still relevant today.
The repressed nature of Basil still fights against the less repressed Cybil. Almost like Mark & Jeremy (Peep Show).
The jokes ARE good jokes, farce is still funny.
Even with the use of racist (and other possible offence material) The irony in the characters in obvious enough not to actually cause any offence. Much like today's overuse of "irony".

Don't get me wrong, I love it, a lot, a lot, A LOT! Just wanted more definition.

Quote: Leevil @ August 19 2009, 10:03 AM BST

It looks quite cheap and 70s.

It does. But to me, other than the brilliant scripts and acting, is part of it's charm. It reminds me of a more innocent time in Britain's past.

You telling me stuff like Brass Eye: Paedophile Special isn't nice, innocent viewing?

Quote: Leevil @ August 19 2009, 10:17 AM BST

You telling me stuff like Brass Eye: Paedophile Special isn't nice, innocent viewing?

:)

Although the depiction of marriage in Fawlty Towers is a dark and twisted as anything you'd get in Peep Show, you can't divorce shows from the time they come from. And the seventies seemed a nicer, more innocent time. Completely removed from the brutish, loutish, cruel Britain of today.

I love FT I don't get what all the fuss is about Blackadder personally - apart from the last series.

Are we finally running out of things to slag off around here then...?

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2009, 10:21 AM BST

:)

And the seventies seemed a nicer, more innocent time. Completely removed from the brutish, loutish, cruel Britain of today.

It wasn't.

Do we know in what way Connie Booth contributed to the writing?