Does anyone else dislike Fawlty Towers? Page 5

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 19 2009, 12:45 PM BST

The flatness. Just doesn't do anything for me. It's not the role, it's the performance.

It's more of a grounded performance, that's all. It wouldn't look flat if it was put in most other sitcoms. In fact, it would look occasionally unrestrained. Love to hear how that part should of been played?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 19 2009, 12:47 PM BST

There was football violence, riots, racism, etc. And high unemployment by the end of the decade.

And proper terrorism, not just talk of terrorism which is what we get now. There were bombs all over the place, for a period they were in London every week.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 12:51 PM BST

Love to hear how that part should of been played?

By Michael Palin in a dress?

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2009, 12:55 PM BST

By Michael Palin in a dress?

Cleese's comedy bitch? It might work.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 12:51 PM BST

It's more of a grounded performance, that's all. It wouldn't look flat if it was put in most other sitcoms. In fact, it would look occasionally unrestrained. Love to hear how that part should of been played?

Well I'm not going to tell you, so keep wondering. I'm just not keen on her performance. I find it a bit wooden. It's not what she was trying to do, but it's the actual delivery of it. I'm sure many others love her in it, I don't. It's allowed!!

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2009, 12:49 PM BST

Agreed. But today there seems to be a complete absence of respect. Lack of common human decency seems endemic now. It makes me sad inside. :(

Introducing the brand new, revised, oh-so-caring (for the girlies, that is) - Chipolata!

Love the, "It makes me sad inside." - nice touch, Chip!

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 19 2009, 1:00 PM BST

Well I'm not going to tell you, so keep wondering. I'm just not keen on her performance. I find it a bit wooden. It's not what she was trying to do, but it's the actual delivery of it. I'm sure many others love her in it, I don't. It's allowed!!

"Needless to say, I had the last laugh." ;)

Quote: Mark @ August 19 2009, 12:48 PM BST

Oh my goodness... I can't believe this thread exists! I honestly think Fawlty Towers is the best sitcom ever made, and it still today makes me laugh more than anything else in the world.

Each to their own I suppose, but seriously, how can anyone not like it?

Indeed.

The reason why this thread still exists and is contuining apace is probably due to the lack of new comedy on telly to talk about. In lieu of that, I suppose looking backwards is an obvious thing to do.

And also the reason why so many very, very, sillier than usual, threads appear.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 10:58 AM BST

Are we finally running out of things to slag off around here then...?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 19 2009, 1:06 PM BST

And also the reason why so many very, very, sillier than usual, threads appear.

Yes, it's certainly not up to our normal high standard threads, such as "Porridge novelisations", "Early nineties sitcom I'm looking to track down", "Butterflies - theme tune" and "Great lines that no-one else remembers".

Quote: chipolata @ August 19 2009, 1:16 PM BST

Yes, it's certainly not up to our normal high standard threads, such as "Porridge novelisations", "Early nineties sitcom I'm looking to track down", "Butterflies - theme tune" and "Great lines that no-one else remembers".

Not to mention the 'Chiplota takes flying lessons from the John Lucas size 9' thread.

Anyway. Fawlty Towers. Still brilliant. That's the last word. Now sod off.

Quote: Chappers @ August 19 2009, 12:59 AM BST

Yes but you like On The Buses.

Yes, I do think On the Buses is dated, but I still think it's hilarious. I don't think Fawlty Towers is dated and I still think that that is hilarious. Just because something's dated doesn't mean it's bad.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 19 2009, 1:39 PM BST

Anyway. Fawlty Towers. Still brilliant.

Something else we agree on! It is brilliant. Still.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ August 19 2009, 1:39 PM BST

Anyway. Fawlty Towers. Still brilliant. That's the last word. Now sod off.

Why do I suspect this thread will not be quoted on next week's BCG newsletter? Anyone would think we're a bunch of failing octagenarians who can only remember the names of 3 old sitcoms in the first place (and only Chappers is anything like that).

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 19 2009, 1:51 PM BST

Why do I suspect this thread will not be quoted on next week's BCG newsletter?

What day's it out? It's nice to have something to look forward to.