Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 89

There's one on amazon for 68p !

Here the description

Convert non-bluetooth enabled PCs to bluetooth enabled within seconds. Great help for wireless connection with other bluetooth devices like mobile phones, PDAs and PCs for data transfer, networking, dial-up/fax functions. Working distance up to 20 meters with no obstructions. Support Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista. Compliant with Bluetooth V2.0/V1.2; up to 3 times faster than the old bluetooth V1.2 adapters.

Sounds like a plan! Although if it's anything like the mobile phone leads I've bought online for less than a quid it probably won't work. Will see what they have up town and should be ok.

It's just a little device you plug into the USB port on your laptop

Quote: Ben @ 7th September 2014, 4:48 PM BST

I'm planning on getting a bluetooth speaker shortly for my various devices, but my laptop doesn't have built in bluetooth. Is the answer as simple as buying a bluetooth dongle for the laptop?

Yes, you can get tiny half-round Bluetooth transmitters that fit a USB socket. You may need a driver, but that will normally come on a small DVD disk included.

Ripping CDs should be easy these days, but there's still problems. One of mine CDs (in fact both of a double CD) won't play properly, and instead clicks in the CD transport. What's occurring?

Re: Bluetooth transmitters for Ben.

Plenty available http://bit.ly/BTtransmit

I used one for about 15 quid for ages on the first mp3 player ever (it had a 40gb hard drive!) walking to and from work with a wireless earphones for a couple of years. Never gave in and eventually got replaced with my new phone (that had BT and 96gb of storage).

Dan

Hard drive
used to work ok, visible in "Printers & Devices" when connected
But not showing in "Computer"

Ok Boffins
Get to work!

Have you tried switching it off and back on again?

Another case solved by the combined intellect & knowledge of the mighty BCG.

Stand down Boffins.

Wave hello Steve.

Quote: swerytd @ 24th September 2014, 11:42 AM BST

I used one for about 15 quid for ages on the first mp3 player ever (it had a 40gb hard drive!)

When on earth was this?! I had an mp3 player in 1999 and it only had 128mb storage!

It seemed like the absolute future back then (and I suppose it was), but I could only fit about 20 songs on it.

My first PC ( from Tiny Computers ) had a 6Gb hard drive and cost over £1400 !

Quote: Oldrocker @ 27th September 2014, 12:37 AM BST

My first PC ( from Tiny Computers ) had a 6Gb hard drive and cost over £1400 !

I'd forgotten about Tiny Computers. I think my first PC had about 8gb storage and was a Gateway.

My first had 4mbs of memory and just ran on DOS. But I was with it and upgraded to Windows 3.1. The cpu was 33 mhz, like lightening.

Spectrum 48k.