Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 86

Trying to read stuff off my back-up drive. I know it's all in there, but how on earth can I find things? There doesn't seem to be any way to search, other than clicking on every folder and looking at every file. I need to be able to search by keyword, or file type.

Which Ipad should I purchase?

It's not for me, it's for my aged aunt (84)

She has a few requirements and someone suggested to her an ipad would fit the bill but it's down to me to get it and set it up.

She wants: to do her weekly supermarket shopping with it, read books, browse the net, watch nature programs? buy stuff etc.

She has no internet connection at home and isn't getting one.

Money really isn't an issue but what are the costs involved and ease of use for someone not used to technology?

They only do two don't they? A 7 inch and a 10 inch one?

Do you reckon your aged aunt could handle 10 inches?

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ 14th April 2014, 7:27 PM BST

Do you reckon your aged aunt could handle 10 inches?

Laughing out loud

:O

RAYMOND!

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th April 2014, 8:35 AM BST

Which Ipad should I purchase?

It's not for me, it's for my aged aunt (84)

She has a few requirements and someone suggested to her an ipad would fit the bill but it's down to me to get it and set it up.

She wants: to do her weekly supermarket shopping with it, read books, browse the net, watch nature programs? buy stuff etc.

She has no internet connection at home and isn't getting one.

Money really isn't an issue but what are the costs involved and ease of use for someone not used to technology?

First off, don't buy an iPad just because that's the name people tend to give to tablets, like hoovering. Get something much, much cheaper first to see how she get on. Mine cost £52.

How's she going to do all that ordering stuff etc without an internet connection? Find a public WiFi and sit there and do it?

I hear the Tesco tablet is a good buy - in my view it is only worth getting an iPad if you have other Apple products.

However if she doesn't have WiFi access she will need to buy a 3G/4G data plan (like a mobile phone contract) and pay out each month - like these contracts with three:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/MediaPad_10_Link/Silver?tab=4G.&memory=16&colour=Silver

I think it is really hard to know how easy it will be for her to grasp. I tried to teach my gran how to use a microwave at a similar age and it was very difficult.

Things that seem fairly simple to us are complicated for those who have lived their lives without this kind of technology.

Would she be up for going to a shop and having a go on a couple of tablets to see which one she likes best?

Quote: Nogget @ 12th March 2014, 7:55 AM GMT

Trying to read stuff off my back-up drive. I know it's all in there, but how on earth can I find things? There doesn't seem to be any way to search, other than clicking on every folder and looking at every file. I need to be able to search by keyword, or file type.

If you are using Windows, try the OLD search tool if it is still there, The one with the yappy puppy as its logo.

Windows search options used to be so much better in the old days.

Quote: Ben @ 14th April 2014, 9:25 PM BST

Windows search options used to be so much better in the old days.

When men were men and you had to wrassle a computer to the ground before it would do what you asked.

Pirate Pirate Cool

If I buy a Bluray from the USA will it play on my UK player? Do Blurays have region codes like DVDs?

Thanks.

It's fraught with trouble.
It was bad enough when I got her a mobile phone. She told me it wasn't very mobile because the charger lead didn't stretch very far.

She doesn't want a router installing because she has heard anyone can bug her (her words) and she doesn't want the neighbors knowing what she gets from the supermarket.
She told me that Millie across the road 'had got wiffy,' which for long enough I thought that Millie had started to smell a bit until I cottoned on that she meant WIFI.

I am now thinking a good tablet and a 4G plan is the way to go but as they say around here 'I'm on a hiding to nowt' :)

By the sounds of it, Stephen, she's really going to struggle working with a tablet. Does she have any PC experience?

I agree with Ben, I think she will really struggle to operate it and will then be locked into paying out for a service she isn't using.

Do you know anyone with a tablet who can take it round and show her?

Ordering your shopping online is actually quite tricky on a tablet. For that kind of thing I find PCs much more user friendly. How will she feel about putting her card details in? If she thinks she is being bugged through WIFI, she may not be comfortable with internet shopping.

She has zero Pc experience and I suspect she will struggle. I am a patient tutor but the touch-screen phone was hard enough. Getting her to believe it will still work when not attached to the mains socket was an ordeal. (it still spends 24/7 on charge)

But, she is stubborn and knows her own mind. Her house is littered with expensive buys that never get used. Including a fabulous car that doesn't do a 1000 miles a year but she gets it serviced annually.

On reflection, I will save myself a lot of blame and anguish by getting her an ipad and a low 4g plan and spend a few 'weeks' helping her.

You have the patience of a saint. :)

My experiences with my gran and the microwave were enough to put me off for life.

Just push the button.

Yes, that button.

No, you don't have to watch it.

It'll ping when it is done.

No, don't open the door to see how it's doing...

To be fair, we shall be the same with the flying car or whatever new gizmo our grandchildren decide to invent.

Personally, I intend to be as much trouble as I possibly can be.