Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 91

My Nexus 7 tablet has stopped playing sound over the speaker, but still plays through the headphone socket; I have just replaced the broken USB port which necessitated replacing the old headphone socket (which had been working fine), so it might well be linked to that. It's as if it 'thinks' there are headphones in the socket, and so switches off the speaker, because I get a second of sound and then nothing. Hmmm.

Headphone sockets have a tiny switch contact inside which is (usually) designed to OPEN when a phone jack is inserted.

Looks like you forgot to solder in the switch or bought a socket with no switch in it.

Quote: Nogget @ 2nd November 2014, 7:28 PM GMT

My Nexus 7 tablet has stopped playing sound over the speaker, but still plays through the headphone socket; I have just replaced the broken USB port which necessitated replacing the old headphone socket (which had been working fine), so it might well be linked to that. It's as if it 'thinks' there are headphones in the socket, and so switches off the speaker, because I get a second of sound and then nothing. Hmmm.

I've had that problem before. I fixed it but I can't remember how. But rest assured, there is a fix. Bill is correct.

Reassuring to know it can be fixed, hopefully I'll get there.

There was a bit of insulating tape on the headphone jack, maybe I should have a fiddle with that.

I didn't tamper with the usb port though or open it up in any way. I'm pretty sure I just cleaned the headphone socket.

Well I've sent the thing back for a replacement.

Current technical issue is with the BBC radio player on my (android) phone. I can 'listen again' to one show, then it won't play another, unless I go into the app manager and clear the data, which is annoying.

Quote: Ben @ 27th September 2014, 12:02 AM BST

When on earth was this?! I had an mp3 player in 1999 and it only had 128mb storage!

It seemed like the absolute future back then (and I suppose it was), but I could only fit about 20 songs on it.

It was this Creative Labs Nomad Zen Xtrap

Quote: Oldrocker @ 1st November 2014, 9:28 PM GMT

I'm running Windows XP and want to record what is coming through my sound card.

On my other PC I have Total Recorder which I bought but I'm unwilling to buy it again.

Any thoughts?

Agree with Bill about using Audacity.

I'm sure the inability to record from Windows was from some agreement between Microsoft, Dell and a couple of other hardware manufacturers to stop people recording streamed content via the output of the sound card. Audicity (and other stuff) gets around this and allows you to mess around with it. For instance, stripping out your broadcast sketches from any radio shows your sketches make. We even use Audacity to make the Live From Kirrin Island podcast and Damn The Torpedoes!, which is radio broadcast!

Dan

Quote: Nogget @ 11th November 2014, 2:15 PM GMT

Well I've sent the thing back for a replacement.

And the replacement works fine.

Volume is low on one channel on Netflix on my TV (where I have it as a built in app), but not on anything else; regular TV is fine. Why might that be?

Any way to recover deleted files from the recycle bin on my laptop?

There are plenty of free 'undelete' programs on the net. It all depends how long ago you deleted them and whether they have been overwritten.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 11th January 2015, 12:39 PM GMT

There are plenty of free 'undelete' programs on the net. It all depends how long ago you deleted them and whether they have been overwritten.

Thanks for your help :D

Isn't there also a facility/software that can take a computer back in its history to a time before an event say as deleting files? Of course you would also lose anything you have done since that time as well I believe?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th January 2015, 1:08 PM GMT

Isn't there also a facility/software that can take a computer back in its history to a time before an event say as deleting files? Of course you would also lose anything you have done since that time as well I believe?

Will look for it, thanks. I'm afraid I have many tenikal/intelgents deficiences

So it is time to buy a new computer and it will be a laptop but what will it be?

1. This unboffin likes Dell but is aware that they have been taken over. Going forward.....are they still the reliable Ford Motors of IT or is it better to look elsewhere? I've pondered Acer and one or two other Tigers.

2. Windows 8 sounds like a Vista style nightmare - sales of XP are up apparently in this quarter even if all the holes can no longer be patched - and Windows 8.1 is only marginally better. I believe that only the latter will have the potential to be upgraded to Windows 10 later if needs be.......But is this belief right?

3. 1.7 whatevers feels unnecessary but should it be 1.5 or 1.3? I don't do gaming.

(But I will want to play CDs)

4. I want big, big words. How much better would a 17 incher be over a 15.6 inch?

5. And do most of these things come with Word please? So I may be abandoning my Cape Canaveral style workstation - it also serves as an imaginary HGV - but that doesn't mean I won't be at the wheel scripting furiously. If the world thinks it no longer needs a manual of advice from me, it can think again....and again.

(The sky is not a limit!!!!)